Birthplace of John Brown

Just looked through your thread. You took some great pictures! I'll be adding this to my travel list. Thanks for sharing.
The weather was certainly cooperating on that particular vacation! I flew into Albany and rented a car to drive up into the Adirondacks to briefly revisit Fort Ticonderoga, stay the weekend at the former Rockefeller Great Camp Sagamore, and take a circle tour to Blue Mountain Lake's Adirondack Museum and Lake Placid sightseeing before heading back. The fall colors were spectacular and the air crisp and delightful without being too cold yet.

Adirondacks 008.jpg

The weather was certainly cooperating on that particular vacation! I flew into Albany and rented a car to drive up into the Adirondacks to briefly revisit Fort Ticonderoga, stay the weekend at the former Rockefeller Great Camp Sagamore, and take a circle tour to Blue Mountain Lake's Adirondack Museum and Lake Placid sightseeing before heading back. The fall colors were spectacular and the air crisp and delightful without being too cold yet.

View attachment 394562
What a great tour - and the perfect time of year for it.

View attachment 394562
Fort Ticonderoga is awesome. And like you said it is beautiful in that area around that time of the year.

View attachment 394562
I would not be able to leave without rock-hopping that stream bed.
Lubliner.

View attachment 394562
Wow... that picture looks like something that should be hanging on a living room wall. Gotta love the New England fall.

I would not be able to leave without rock-hopping that stream bed.
Lubliner.
Wow... that picture looks like something that should be hanging on a living room wall. Gotta love the New England fall.
I was driving past all that beautiful scenery on my return to Albany and decided to make a quick stop when I crossed the stream and only walked a short distance from the car when I took the photo - I probably wasn't there ten or fifteen minutes! I spent two or three days at Sagamore though.

Sagamore Lodge.jpg

Sagamore Lodge 019.jpg

I was driving past all that beautiful scenery on my return to Albany and decided to make a quick stop when I crossed the stream and only walked a short distance from the car when I took the photo - I probably wasn't there ten or fifteen minutes! I spent two or three days at Sagamore though.

View attachment 394642

View attachment 394641
That is a truly rustic place, and your visit at the proper time of year. The Lodge looks splendid. My family used to come down through the Smokies in the mid-1960's and stay at the Hemlock Inn in Bryson City, N. C. It had that rustic charm, no television or swimming pool, but a huge game area, shuffle board, wooden box games, right near the dining hall that served homemade food. The rooms were airy, with a screened veranda on some. It was a favorite spot for a couple of years. I am sure you have some fond memories of Sagamore.
Lubliner.

Sagamore Lodge 030.jpg

That is a truly rustic place, and your visit at the proper time of year. The Lodge looks splendid. My family used to come down through the Smokies in the mid-1960's and stay at the Hemlock Inn in Bryson City, N. C. It had that rustic charm, no television or swimming pool, but a huge game area, shuffle board, wooden box games, right near the dining hall that served homemade food. The rooms were airy, with a screened veranda on some. It was a favorite spot for a couple of years. I am sure you have some fond memories of Sagamore.
Lubliner.
I'll take advantage of the invitation to post another couple of photos from the 1890's Great Camp which is located on its own private Sagamore Lake. (Renamed after the Vanderbilts acquired it from its original developer.) My photo above shows the Lodge complex, consisting of many rustic structures in addition to the main lodge building previously pictured, spread out among the trees and was taken from one of the canoes available for use by guests. Below, the view from my small room under the eaves of the lodge looking out at morning mist rising from the lake.

Sagamore Lodge 002.jpg

View attachment 394731

I'll take advantage of the invitation to post another couple of photos from the 1890's Great Camp which is located on its own private Sagamore Lake. (Renamed after the Vanderbilts acquired it from its original developer.) My photo above shows the Lodge complex, consisting of many rustic structures in addition to the main lodge building previously pictured, spread out among the trees and was taken from one of the canoes available for use by guests. Below, the view from my small room under the eaves of the lodge looking out at morning mist rising from the lake.

View attachment 394732
It's beautiful up there. It'd be perfect it if weren't for the black flies.

Back