Bird named after Confederate General is changed

Status
Not open for further replies.
In other news, I just learned this morning that the city council in Lexington, Virginia changed the name of the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery to "Oak Grove." That way no one gets to be offended. Where is @Viper21 these days to keep us abreast? I'm getting this through jungle telegraph from Virginia (my sister) to NH back to West Virginia to put on CWT.
It is true. The Lexington City Council voted 6-0 in July to change the name. According to the article I read, they hope to make a decision on the new name during their scheduled meeting on Sept. 3. So sad. These people have no backbone at all.

I guess I don't see how "Turkey in the Straw" is about... Edited . :eek: :unsure: And I don't see how changing a song title is giving anyone power. Especially as we (the royal we) often use that song in teaching indigenous language since almost everyone knows that song. Are "we" racist for using it? The whole thing has reached the level of stupid.

I learned "Goober Peas" in 4th grade in NH. I LOVED that song and still sing it. Did our music teacher "appropriate" Southern antebellum culture without knowing it and scar us for life?

Last edited by a moderator:
The local hoopla in my neighborhood here in East Texas has been the "renaming" of the two high schools in the largest community, Tyler - one named John Tyler and the other Robert E. Lee. Naturally the local Edited. had been after the latter one for several years. Of course John Tyler is named for the President who happened to be the one who actually annexed the Republic as a State - just like the city itself is - but he was *GASP* a Virginia SLAVEOWNER! In the wake of all the Edited. business they have naturally finally gotten their way; the solution? The school board voted to avoid naming any schools within the district for any individuals, so now Robert E. Lee will be Tyler Legacy HS and John Tyler will be... wait for it... TYLER HS!

Last edited by a moderator:
In other news, I just learned this morning that the city council in Lexington, Virginia changed the name of the Stonewall Jackson Cemetery to "Oak Grove." That way no one gets to be offended. Where is @Viper21 these days to keep us abreast? I'm getting this through jungle telegraph from Virginia (my sister) to NH back to West Virginia to put on CWT.

That's a shame. I've got a relative buried there (the wife of one of the town founders). They went to church with the Jacksons (back then the cemetery was the Presbyterian Church cemetery). Bah.

Yes. It's true. I watched the live Lexington City Council meeting via zoom, Thursday night. They voted unanimously for Oakgrove Cemetery. Originally they were gonna add the name Lexington to it but, decided against it because, they want it to be "inclusive" to surrounding areas... :O o:

They also added Juneteenth as a City recognized holiday. It was a unanimous vote as well. They acknowledged that they are one of the only municipalities around that doesn't recognize Veterans Day as an official City holiday but, actually said "Juneteenth is more relevant".

Goodness. Veterans Day is so important. All who have died in all the wars and served our country with dignity.

This never stops.

I sang "Turkey In the Straw" in grade school. We always sang many of the old tunes. We also did dances to it and others. Favorites of mine were "She Be Coming Around the Mountain, "Old Dan Tucker", "Froggy Went a Courting", to name a few. They were always fun tunes and we all seemed to enjoy them. There was nothing political about them back then. Things have sure changed but not for the best.

I’ve seen TV ads lately for Dixie Cups and am really surprised the name hasn’t been changed. The owner of Dixie beer in New Orleans changed the brand name a couple of months ago. I don’t see how that could possibly have been a good business decision for a small iconic regional business but we’ll see how it works out for him.

I lived in New Orleans for 25 years during my formative, beer drinking years. Dixie was the ubiquitous local beer that was imbibed at all functions and occasions - crawfish boils, block parties, parades, jazz festivals, etc. It wasn't a very good beer but, if you had enough of it, you didn't care. The point is, Dixie beer was part of New Orleans - no racial connotations, no tortuous social statements, no 'good-ol-boy' implications - it just was ... and seemingly, everybody drank it. The city of New Orleans seems determined to dismember and erase its history and heritage.

Last edited:
Yes. It's true. I watched the live Lexington City Council meeting via zoom, Thursday night. They voted unanimously for Oakgrove Cemetery. Originally they were gonna add the name Lexington to it but, decided against it because, they want it to be "inclusive" to surrounding areas... :O o:

They also added Juneteenth as a City recognized holiday. It was a unanimous vote as well. They acknowledged that they are one of the only municipalities around that doesn't recognize Veterans Day as an official City holiday but, actually said "Juneteenth is more relevant".
Juneteenth is important in Texas. People outside the state like those next door in Louisiana never heard of it until the last decade or so. I can’t imagine the fine folks in Charlottesville thinking it more important to the town than Veterans Day.

The local hoopla in my neighborhood here in East Texas has been the "renaming" of the two high schools in the largest community, Tyler - one named John Tyler and the other Robert E. Lee. Naturally the local Edited. had been after the latter one for several years. Of course John Tyler is named for the President who happened to be the one who actually annexed the Republic as a State - just like the city itself is - but he was *GASP* a Virginia SLAVEOWNER! In the wake of all the Edited. business they have naturally finally gotten their way; the solution? The school board voted to avoid naming any schools within the district for any individuals, so now Robert E. Lee will be Tyler Legacy HS and John Tyler will be... wait for it... TYLER HS!
Big H.S. football programs in Tyler. There’s your answer.

Juneteenth is important in Texas. People outside the state like those next door in Louisiana never heard of it until the last decade or so. I can’t imagine the fine folks in Charlottesville thinking it more important to the town than Veterans Day.
I've known what Juneteenth was for a long time as, my Step Dad spent a lot of time in Texas when he was young. Born in Oklahoma, he moved to Texas young, & later was a graduate of East Texas Baptist University.

Its always seemed to me a rather silly event to make any type of holiday out of outside of Texas.......as it has no national significance, as slavery still existed elsewhere such as KY, DE, and NJ.

Dec 6th would be a more appropriate date for a national holiday.

OK, jumping in as incredulous. Wiping out history down to birds is not only impossible it's unbelievably short-sighted.I've stayed away from the topic since getting soundly trounced around 6 years ago but wasn't the idea of reconciliation that we allll got together again? Once objected to Brownlow over this, that punishment wasn't supposed to be the point post-war and OHHHH my my gosh. I'm sorry but this feels a TON different than some other things out there, like we're now going back and inflicting punitive measures.

No one is celebrating this man as a Confederate general, he got a bird named for him because he watched birds- I'm getting a post-war Brownlow-esque vibe from this level of attention paid to the lives of those we were supposed to be reconciled with 150 years ago. Why we can't seriously, really, genuinely seem to learn a thing from history is extremely worrying.

Its always seemed to me a rather silly event to make any type of holiday out of outside of Texas.......as it has no national significance, as slavery still existed elsewhere such as KY, DE, and NJ.

Dec 6th would be a more appropriate date for a national holiday.
Some confuse history with emotion. People are embarrassing themselves in the rush to wokeness.

Last edited:
When this story came out, they quoted some individual about how they actually went through all of the bird names looking for some "negative" association to call out. Thats why this is absurd and I have no sympathy for the "other side's feelings" on this. As many of you have said, no one (including myself) would see the name of that bird and in anyway make an association to the Confederacy. So much of this is people being told what to be offended by.

When it becomes about searching out every detail of someone's life to find fault it is not about "context" or "all voices" but complete purging and in many ways simply retribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back