Biography Prefixes

CivilWarTalk

Lieutenant General
- ★★★ -
Managing Member & Webmaster
@=EditorCorps

Hi everyone, been a while since we've chatted, we've some some major updates since our last chat, and I haven't seen to many of you on here so if you don't want to be part of the editors group anymore, please let me know and I will drop from our list.

If you need help getting started, we should have a chat and discuss!

I recently updated the Biography forum and it is showcasing some of the best new features! I've updated our prefixes, we can now attach multiple prefixes to a thread when needed, and although I don't want to go crazy, there are a few cases where this is helpful!

Also, you may have noticed the new search box at the top of each forum, this is an amazing little tool that works great to find a biography or thread quickly. It only searches the forum you are in, but the results are quick and accurate from my testing!

Also, in the Biography forum, as well as the Monument / Landmark forum,(and also coincidentally, the Classifieds Forum!) I've switched the Avatars to show a thumbnail of the first attached image in the thread, this gives you a much better idea of what is contained in the thread!

The one big change I've made in the last 24 hours was updating the Biography Prefixes. I've improved the ranks to make them more "authentic like" where I can, and added some missing prefixes we needed like Colonels, and a Navy Prefix.

The one Prefix I'm not thrilled with is the Medical one, I wanted it to emulate the Field Hospital flag, a Yellow square with a Green H, but it just doesn't look great, and I'm not sure it's intuitive. I don't know what to change it to, because during that era the symbols for nursing and medical help were all different from the ones used today, and don't really match up with the icons I find online.

Anyway, any feedback, or comments on the current changes would be great! If I don't get any, I'll promote this to the general staff later tonight.

Description for Biography Forum
Prefixes in this forum are used to denote a persons gender, as well as their affiliation with the Union or the Confederate States, (CS/Gray for Confederates, US/Blue for Union), and their rank at the time the Civil War ended, which applies 99% to men (Gold Stars apply to ranks of General, Silver Eagles to Union Colonels, 3 Silver Stars to Confederate Colonels). Confederate Generals have BG (Brigadier General), MG (Major General), and LG (Lieutenant General), among the gold stars used to denote their rank.

Some Prefixes are used to denote a persons profession or specialty (ie: the green 'H' identifies Medical personnel, The Anchor with USN or CSN is for Naval Personnel).

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
@=EditorCorps

Hi everyone, been a while since we've chatted, we've some some major updates since our last chat, and I haven't seen to many of you on here so if you don't want to be part of the editors group anymore, please let me know and I will drop from our list.

If you need help getting started, we should have a chat and discuss!

I recently updated the Biography forum and it is showcasing some of the best new features! I've updated our prefixes, we can now attach multiple prefixes to a thread when needed, and although I don't want to go crazy, there are a few cases where this is helpful!

Also, you may have noticed the new search box at the top of each forum, this is an amazing little tool that works great to find a biography or thread quickly. It only searches the forum you are in, but the results are quick and accurate from my testing!

Also, in the Biography forum, as well as the Monument / Landmark forum,(and also coincidentally, the Classifieds Forum!) I've switched the Avatars to show a thumbnail of the first attached image in the thread, this gives you a much better idea of what is contained in the thread!

The one big change I've made in the last 24 hours was updating the Biography Prefixes. I've improved the ranks to make them more "authentic like" where I can, and added some missing prefixes we needed like Colonels, and a Navy Prefix.

The one Prefix I'm not thrilled with is the Medical one, I wanted it to emulate the Field Hospital flag, a Yellow square with a Green H, but it just doesn't look great, and I'm not sure it's intuitive. I don't know what to change it to, because during that era the symbols for nursing and medical help were all different from the ones used today, and don't really match up with the icons I find online.

Anyway, any feedback, or comments on the current changes would be great! If I don't get any, I'll promote this to the general staff later tonight.

Description for Biography Forum
Prefixes in this forum are used to denote a persons gender, as well as their affiliation with the Union or the Confederate States, (CS/Gray for Confederates, US/Blue for Union), and their rank at the time the Civil War ended, which applies 99% to men (Gold Stars apply to ranks of General, Silver Eagles to Union Colonels, 3 Silver Stars to Confederate Colonels). Confederate Generals have BG (Brigadier General), MG (Major General), and LG (Lieutenant General), among the gold stars used to denote their rank.

Some Prefixes are used to denote a persons profession or specialty (ie: the green 'H' identifies Medical personnel, The Anchor with USN or CSN is for Naval Personnel).
Thanks for the update. Well done.