Billy the kid photo restoration by me.

Orion.M.E

Private
He may not be directly related to the civil war but he was a kid during the war. I wanted to post this photo because everywhere on the internet I’ve seen no one has restored this photo. And in restoring this photo ive become the first to restore this photo, meaning that its a footnote in history, meaning in a way I have just a minute part in the history of Billy the kid, but Im In it. Also this has somewhat of a part in my ancestor Charles history as the newspapers where Charles was at in Lincoln Nevada had talked about Billy the kid only 3 times in its history according to my research, and Charles read the newspapers often. I Will be doing more touch ups on it, wanted to put this out before anyone else.

9488CA47-FE7E-4F32-BFB9-5590836854A3.jpeg

He may not be directly related to the civil war but he was a kid during the war. I wanted to post this photo because everywhere on the internet I’ve seen no one has restored this photo. And in restoring this photo ive become the first to restore this photo, meaning that its a footnote in history, meaning in a way I have just a minute part in the history of Billy the kid, but Im In it. Also this has somewhat of a part in my ancestor Charles history as the newspapers where Charles was at in Lincoln Nevada had talked about Billy the kid only 3 times in its history according to my research, and Charles read the newspapers often. I Will be doing more touch ups on it, wanted to put this out before anyone else.

View attachment 389346
Can you tell what the cigar chomper on the left is holding in his hand ? Looks like a revolver but......

Dave Rudabaugh is the first one on the left with cigar and revolver. Billy is behind him to the right. Pat Garrett on front right who (to me) appears to have a "hang over". I just finished reading, "The Real Billy The Kid" by Miguel Antonio Otero, Jr. published in 1936. I've seen this photo many times throughout the past several years. I have a large copied photo of the "croquet scene and Charlie Bowdre's wedding party. Bowdre's family migrated from Georgia. Charlie was born in Wilkes County circa 1848. The details of these guys bring to light about life after the war, especially in the southwest region. All of these pictured were obviously not old enough to participate in the Civil War, but their childhood experiences and remembrances may have played an important part with their personal views of the day as they grew into adulthood. (just a thought)

Dave Rudabaugh is the first one on the left with cigar and revolver. Billy is behind him to the right. Pat Garrett on front right who (to me) appears to have a "hang over". I just finished reading, "The Real Billy The Kid" by Miguel Antonio Otero, Jr. published in 1936. I've seen this photo many times throughout the past several years. I have a large copied photo of the "croquet scene and Charlie Bowdre's wedding party. Bowdre's family migrated from Georgia. Charlie was born in Wilkes County circa 1848. The details of these guys bring to light about life after the war, especially in the southwest region. All of these pictured were obviously not old enough to participate in the Civil War, but their childhood experiences and remembrances may have played an important part with their personal views of the day as they grew into adulthood. (just a thought)
A civil war connection could be more easily made for the other side, as the corrupt Santa Fe ring was republican and many it's associates in Lincoln, ex Union soldiers.

A civil war connection could be more easily made for the other side, as the corrupt Santa Fe ring was republican and many it's associates in Lincoln, ex Union soldiers.
Lawrence Murphy was a veteran of the war, enlisting with the United States Army in Buffalo, New York during 1851. He was discharged in 1861 at Fort McIntosh, Laredo, Texas. I wonder why Charlie Bowdre left his family home in Mississippi after migrating with his family from Georgia?

Lawrence Murphy – Behind the Lincoln County War – Legends of America

Many southerners would go west to try to find opportunity that was scarce in the reconstruction south.

Last edited:
Just fyi, 0% chance Billy the Kid is in this photo. The information put out by the owner (which unfortunately got reported too often as fact) was completely inaccurate.

Can you elaborate on this?

Won't speculate on the identity of the persons in the photos, but...

"Caveat Emptor"

Here is a timeline from the news story:

2011: The group Photo above came from a flea market in Ashville, NC, of unidentified persons. Purchased for 10 bucks by a history buff.

2015: photo of "Billy the kid" playing croquet (or so it is claimed) comes to the fore, estimated (by someone) at millions of dollars in value... (by the way, this photo of unidentified persons was bought for $2 at a "junk shop" in Fresno).

Subsequently: the 2011 history buff purchaser of the group photo above, only after the notices of the million dollar "croquet" images commenced researching Billy the Kid, employs experts, etc. to confirm the kid is in his photo...

All referenced here:

TintypeIdentifiedNEWSYoutube

Billy the Kid and Regulators Play Croquet photo: worth millions The Guardian

Won't speculate on the identity of the persons in the photos, but...

"Caveat Emptor"

Here is a timeline from the news story:

2011: The group Photo above came from a flea market in Ashville, NC, of unidentified persons. Purchased for 10 bucks by a history buff.

2015: photo of "Billy the kid" playing croquet (or so it is claimed) comes to the fore, estimated (by someone) at millions of dollars in value... (by the way, this photo of unidentified persons was bought for $2 at a "junk shop" in Fresno).

Subsequently: the 2011 history buff purchaser of the group photo above, only after the notices of the million dollar "croquet" images commenced researching Billy the Kid, employs experts, etc. to confirm the kid is in his photo...

All referenced here:

TintypeIdentifiedNEWSYoutube

Billy the Kid and Regulators Play Croquet photo: worth millions The Guardian
So where is the 0% chance?

From what I've read it would be hard to attach 100% to the one accepted as genuine. As its my understanding, that image was never presented publicly with any claim of being the kid till well after his death as well.

Back