Biggest mistake of the war

Biggest mistake of the war was creating so many regiments, each side had too many under strength regiments making command and control more difficult.
Disagree here. I'm researched unit formation some - recruitment was never as successful for existing regiments than it was for new ones. Veteran regiments recruited all the time, but never made a splash. Still working out the reasons why (I think the prospect of rank for citizens who put in the recruitment work play played a big part), but manpower would have been harder to come by if it was fed into existing units.

Seccession. The southern states had won the legal arguments concerning slavery for 10 years. Slavery was de facto legal anywhere in the US thanks to the Dred Scott decision, which as a by-product would open the territory gained from Mexico to slavery. The result of letting the hotheads get in control and taking the states out of the Union - into a war which the southern states were ill-positioned to fight if it is longer than 6 months - was death, destruction and poverty.

Lincoln calling up troops.
As far as I know the Confedracy surrendered to said Union troops so how was it a mistake?
Leftyhunter
Didn’t surrender to the one’s Lincoln called up. They all dead.
And you know that how? Of course it doesn't matter victory is victory and even if you're assertion was true which it isn't the Confedracy lost quite a few soldiers as well.
Leftyhunter

As far as I know the Confedracy surrendered to said Union troops so how was it a mistake?
Leftyhunter
And you know that how? Of course it doesn't matter victory is victory and even if you're assertion was true which it isn't the Confedracy lost quite a few soldiers as well.
Leftyhunter
Lincoln sending his war ships and soldiers to reinforce Sumter.
How was that a mistake. Lincoln was obligated to protect a federal fort. Yes the Confedracy took Ft.Sumter but more importantly the Union took it back.
Leftyhunter

Leftyhunter

Leftyhunter
You are leading off topic. No response.

Leftyhunter
Leftyhunter
Lincoln sending his war ships and soldiers to reinforce Sumter.
How was that a mistake. Lincoln was obligated to protect a federal fort. Yes the Confedracy took Ft.Sumter but more importantly
You are leading off topic. No response.
In other words you made a false assertion otherwise you could provide evidence for your assertion that ever single Union soldier who enlisted in 2861 died by 1865.
Leftyhunter
Leftyhunter

Back