Big Shanty

Barrycdog

Major
10394021_770169203073897_8009471260864473427_n.jpg

Attached link concerns Camp McDonald at Big Shanty. I am guessing its the same camp as in the OP. Note that the first link in the article does not work.
http://www.examiner.com/article/seven-things-to-know-about-camp-McDonald

"During the Civil War approximately 3,000 men were trained to serve in the Confederate Army a few miles from Atlanta at Camp McDonald. Robert C. Jones in his online booklet titled Kennesaw (Big Shanty) in the 19th Century found here advises Governor Joseph E. Brown established the camp to train Georgia volunteers on June 11, 1861. Jones also advises the camp was commanded by Georgia Military Brigadier General and Confederate Army Colonel William Phillips. Cadets from the Georgia Military Institute served as instructors.

CampMcDonald_map.jpg

I almost wonder how many civil war relics are bring displaced around the new Braves stadium in Cobb.

My workplace literally overlooks the new complex. If there was anything in the woods or under the ground it is long gone now. I have done a bit of research and know that at least 1 set of trench remains were bulldozed on the interstate north side of the property. This area was primarily a 'movement' area between the actions at Rottenwood Creek and around this portion of the Chattahoochee River (which Rottenwood flows into) Several farms were present on the property at that time which were slowly reclaimed by nature. Up until construction started last year it was again heavily wooded.
SO to answer your question...was there anything under the ground..I'm sure there was...but everything is gone now and all the original dirt has been continuously taken out 24 hours a day 7 days a week for going on 6 months now. The foundations are already poured, beams are going up...and 'progress' in the name of 'progress' continues.

Okay, I'm trying to disect the difference between the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain (June 27, 1864) and a later Battle of Big Shanty that occurred on October 6, 1864 after the fall of Atlanta.
I'm reading an account of the 22nd Mississippi and it says they moved up to attack the Federate fort at Big Shanty but discontinued after fighting all day.

Q: Where did this battle take place?
I see Big Shanty is located on the RR between Allatoona and Marietta, and north of Kennesaw Mountain. My resource said the Confederates attacked the Federal fort.

Q: Was the Federal Fort located at this Camp McDonald? Or was it a fort built near the RR tracks?

Q: What was the order of battle for both the Union and Confederates?
Was it a small engagement of a division on each side or maybe smaller? What units?

Back