Big Gun "bolts"

Woodstock74

Private
I'm looking for an image or drawing of an armor piercing bolt fired by a Dahlgren. I've not seen much reference material regarding big gun ammunition, surely I'm just looking in the wrong place? Is there some place I should be looking? Book suggestions?

Ultimately what I'm working towards is I'm drawing a 1/192 Monitor turret in CAD with the idea to print it. I was wanting to depict some additional rounds in the turret. Many depictions of the Monitor's turret interior show a outer shell track up against the inner turret wall as a stowage for ready rounds. Would work great for a round cannon ball. Can I assume the solid "AP" bolts are still round for a smoothbore like the Dahlgren XI (unlike the blunt and elongated bolts for rifled guns)?

There are several great books one of my favorites is below. also here is a link that should help http://www.civilwarartillery.com/

Civil War Heavy Explosive Ordnance
A Guide to Large Artillery Projectiles, Torpedoes, and Mines

By Jack Bell

Field Artillery Projectiles of the American Civil War: Including a Selection of Navy Projectiles, Fuzes, Hand Gernades [sic], Rockets, and Land Mines
no_cover_thumb.gif

Thomas S. Dickey, Peter C. George
Arsenal Publications II, 1993 - Confederate States of America - 552 pages
0 Reviews

That is a amazing. Great detail. Thanks for sharing.

Back