1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Biased Historians Rewriting History?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Joshism, Feb 28, 2017.

1. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Irrelevant. The point is that Anderson picked the source and posted it, and it contradicted him.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. galveston bay

galveston bay Corporal

Just to throw this out there, but just because you don't like what a historian (or reporter) has to say does not mean they are biased.

Indeed it might be possible that the assumption of bias is in the mind of the reader.

Which is again why multiple sources are valuable

But sometimes, the weight of evidence should be the final verdict.

So for example... it is fact that after 1876 and the end of Reconstruction that African Americans were completely disenfranchised in the former Confederacy, losing nearly all significant political offices, the ability to vote in most places, and that lynching and anti Black riots that resulted in significant loss of life occurred.

None of those things happened because African Americans decided that they liked being powerless. They happened because of force and threats of force, which one could call terrorism for political purposes

You don't have be a biased Radical Republican historian to point that simple truth out now do you? The overwhelming evidence makes it plain.

4. Harvey Johnson

Harvey Johnson Sergeant

Cherry picking of witnesses to a Senate investigating committee may be irrelevant to some, but not everyone. Your judgment that it is irrelevant, however, helps me understand your perspective.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Specster and Andersonh1 like this.
  5. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

It is the best way.

Before I began seriously researching and reading about the Civil War, I maintained the war could not have been caused by slavery, but was all about the States seeking their rights.

Reading source documents and actual history was a real eye opener for me.

johan_steele, MattL, jgoodguy and 4 others like this.
  6. galveston bay

galveston bay Corporal

yeah some of those prewar speeches and writings are pretty awful coming out of just about every slave state

johan_steele and unionblue like this.
  7. cash

cash Brev. Brig. Gen'l

Apparently it's too difficult to understand. All I was doing there was pointing out that the source he chose specifically contradicted him. Anything else is irrelevant to that.

Schwallanscher likes this.
  8. Joshism

Joshism Sergeant

No, I think it is possible to disagree with a book without thinking it's biased.

Likewise, just because the author agrees with me doesn’t mean they aren't biased.
    Edmund Morris wrote a great trilogy about Theodore Roosevelt, but I don't disagree with the reviews I have read that think Morrison got a little too enamored with his subject, even though I think TR was swell.

9. unionblue

unionblue Brev. Brig. Gen'l Member of the Year

I can see your point.

My post was a bit in jest vice totally serious. :smile:

10. Hunter

Hunter Sergeant

I think your point had something to do with the effect of militias on Grant's success in the 1868 election. Now it is blacks voting as a bloc just as most whites did. Please cite your source for blacks having the majority of registered voters. And while you are at it, help us understand why in the world blacks would vote for Democrat candidates whose party was hostile to their voting rights.

11. JerseyBart

JerseyBart Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

Also, numerous reports have resulted in Cash being temporarily threadbanned.
    Posted as moderator

Podad, jgoodguy and John Winn like this.
  12. jgoodguy

jgoodguy Brigadier General Moderator Forum Host

I followed the same path.

13. MattL

MattL Sergeant

I think the argument might be that Anderson chose that source and used it, upon deeper investigation it seems that source actually supports a counter argument to what Anderson was saying.

If it was a valid enough source for Anderson to use why is it now an invalid source since it disagrees with such viewpoints.

unionblue and jgoodguy like this.
  14. jgoodguy

Seems like party line voting to me.

Hunter and MattL like this.
  15. jgoodguy

Good compilation
    of those quotes.
    June 2012 Book Review: Charles B. Dew. Apostles of Disunion: Southern Secession Commissioners and the Causes of the Civil War. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2001. Jim Dick American Public University System
    Hi

16. MattL

MattL Sergeant

I followed a similar path too. I never had a clue of what the real contemporary views of the time was until I started reading them. Being raised in the West I didn't really have a pro-North or pro-South view, kind of an overly (to a fault) centrist view that heavily de-emphasized slavery in a lot of ways (in history in general).

The full history of the time really explained a lot of things though.

18thVirginia, Hunter and unionblue like this.
  17. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 2nd Lieutenant

Some of the witnesses support my assertions, some do not. It's a long hearing with a lot of testimony, and I wasn't surprised to hear different stories from different witnesses. Nevertheless, some of the testimony does indeed support what I have read in other places and posted here, and I only shared some tiny snippets out of hundreds of pages.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Podad likes this.
  18. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 2nd Lieutenant

It's pretty much the opposite for me, and I'm a lifelong Southerner. We learned in school that it was all about slavery, and Abraham Lincoln was our greatest President because he saved the Union. I learned a lot when I started reading source documents and learned that there was a lot more going on. I was disabused of the notion that it was all about nothing but slavery.

Podad and CSA Today like this.
  19. jgoodguy

What percentage in your opinion is not directly or indirectly related to slavery.

18thVirginia and Hunter like this.
  20. CSA Today

CSA Today Colonel

I agree the KKK were not on par with the black militias, had they been, the majority whites (in all but two states) would have voted the mostly white carpetbaggers and scalawags out of office forthwith.

In over 600 pages, Foner rarely mentioned corruption and when he does it is only in passing and rarely in depth. You mention roughly 52 pages, most of those pages don't mention corruption in the South at all.

Rebforever, Podad and Andersonh1 like this.
  21. Mike Griffith

Mike Griffith Corporal

I think one of the best examples, if not the best example, of bias and group think among historians is the dominant portrait of George McClellan as a timid, cowardly, incompetent, and arrogant commander, when in fact McClellan was arguably the best military strategist in the Union army and the most effective general when it came to getting the most results with the smallest number of casualties reasonably possible. There was a reason that Robert E. Lee said that the best general he faced in the war was "McClellan, by all odds."

Most of the standard attacks on McClellan are either erroneous or selective. The charge that McClellan was pro-slavery is obscenely false. The problem is that McClellan was a conservative Democrat, that he opposed total war, that he said some unflattering things about Lincoln in letters never intended to be made public (but he also grew to respect Lincoln as a person), and that he ran against Lincoln in the 1864 presidential election. Therefore, many people think that if you're pro-McClellan you must be anti-Lincoln, which is not true.

Hunter likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)