Best Worst Photo Shopped, Faux And Just Plain Silly Images

I've always enjoyed this very rare 1860's image of Captain Nemo's Nautilus . . . sailing out to create mayhem among all navies of the world. I'm pretty sure the Disney guys used this image to create that sub in their 'Twenty-Thousand Leagues' movie. :whistling:

nat (1).jpg

Last edited:
My old collecting mentor Robert Justice used to divide things like these into either of two categories: fakes or blatant fakes!

That's supposed to be good advice? Guy must be quite old, perhaps McCarthy era.

Look, we get it that' yelling "Fake!" is far easier and more fun than having to actually dig into context, to do any actual research.

I found this on Ebay and thought it too funny not to share....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/392145086068

Apparently his favorite celebrity walked into the room and he couldn't keep his composure while they snapped the photo.
That's an odd image in another respect - the subject appears to be wearing the double-breasted frock coat of a field officer (major, lt. col., or col.) but has absolutely NO rank insignia. (Shoulder straps, epaulets, etc.)

That's an odd image in another respect - the subject appears to be wearing the double-breasted frock coat of a field officer (major, lt. col., or col.) but has absolutely NO rank insignia. (Shoulder straps, epaulets, etc.)

It's a FAKE then! .A Fake!.. Fakery!. The photographer is a Faker! ..Bad Faker! :devilish:

What's fake about it? [the WW2 tank with CW reenactors photo]

It appears to be a perfectly legitimate and honest photo of a bunch of CW reenactors populating a WW2 tank. No apparent retouching or attempt to deceive whatsoever. Likely taken at a timeline event. Is then everything at a timeline event "fake" ?

There's a lot of confusion on this thread. There's posing (which may or may not be dishonest), manipulation of the image (which may or may not be dishonest) and intent (which may or may not be dishonest). But something can only be a "fake" if it purports to be the original of something when in fact it is not. In other words you can't call something a fake when no original ever existed.

The poster here certainly lied about when the image was taken, but that was only intended as humor, and it is funny. In that context it's not dishonest.

Last edited:
There's no need to be defensive on anyone's part. Really had zero intention of confining the thread to such narrow perimeters, or limit what may be termed faux. or, for that matter interpret or debate what was intended by whomever created one. It's unfortunate some may have been a joke to begin with but we humans are a gullible lot. It's clear what may have begun as a joke easily becomes misinterpreted as real.

In other words you can't call something a fake when no original ever existed.

I'm not being argumentative but sure you can. I can say with great confidence the image of Booth standing behind his victim in Lincoln's box at Ford's theatre is faked- no original photo, albeit a genuine incident, to base that on. Even if whomever created that in the first place had no intention to deceive us with the idea there was someone with an Instamatic in the audience who just happened to catch the scene, it tends to make the rounds as ' real '.

If some of the photos are posed or constructed, how many of the alleged first hand accounts were preposterous falsehoods developed for political and commercial purposes?

....He is cocking a snook too

What a curious photo, @Billw12280, and thanks, @Mrs. V, for introducing me to a phrase I hadn't learned before. Now I'll be looking for an opportunity to use it. [Edited for clarification: use the phrase, that is, not the gesture.] Besides the man's gesture, facial expression, and the coat that James N. pointed out, there's another odd element to the picture. If you go to the eBay listing and zoom in on the second photo--the full-length one--you'll see an object in the lower right corner that appears to be draped over the man's arm at the elbow. Any idea what that is?

What a curious photo, @Billw12280, and thanks, @Mrs. V, for introducing me to a phrase I hadn't learned before. Now I'll be looking for an opportunity to use it. [Edited for clarification: use the phrase, that is, not the gesture.] Besides the man's gesture, facial expression, and the coat that James N. pointed out, there's another odd element to the picture. If you go to the eBay listing and zoom in on the second photo--the full-length one--you'll see an object in the lower right corner that appears to be draped over the man's arm at the elbow. Any idea what that is?
You are welcome. My husbands GG Aunt’s last name was “Snook” and she took great pleasure in introducing me to that phrase. She was a very interesting woman.

Back