1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Best Worst Photo Shopped, Faux And Just Plain Silly Images

Discussion in 'Period Civil War Photos & Examinations' started by JPK Huson 1863, Oct 3, 2018.

1. JPK Huson 1863

JPK Huson 1863 Colonel Forum Host

fake marry-todd-and-lincoln.jpg
    " The Lincoln Wedding Photograph " isn't. Someone glued together portraits taken separately and ' poof ', History!

They're spreading. It's like lice without a good shampoo eradicating the little vermin. It's always been a puzzle why anyone would create a photo shopped image or just, plain make stuff up. But they do. Some, you can't blame anyone for who fell victim. Most here for instance would not know there's no such thing as a ' Lincoln Wedding Photo ' but really, not seeing that ' Lincoln at Gettysburg ', strolling past tents contains a woman in shorts skirt and nylon stockings is strolling there, too is baffling.

fake officers.jpg
    Just ouch. Inserting a buxom, pouting young woman and her buddies ( not one of which is wearing a hat manufactured during the war ) into this grouping of Confederate officers, you'll see them described variously. No idea who the pouty girl would be.

Lincoln is sure a popular topic but there's a plethora of others. Belle Boyd comes in for a silly image albeit hers is a book cover. Most annoying would be photos of ' slaves ' both on Pinterest and Ebay, where any era photo of a black citizen is relegated to this status. Love to see if anyone else has a favorite, er, erroneously entitled photo?

A favorite......
    fake lin poe.JPG
    Goodness. I'll say creepy. It must have happened after Lincoln's head fell off and they had to perch it back up there.

af am family new snip.JPG
    Lovely young couple, ( sucker for baby photos here ) obvious signs of prosperity, found on Ebay , entitled ' slaves '. Ebay has knocked it off mostly ( if you write to sellers being witchy enough, it can be helpful ) but these persist elsewhere.

fake linc 2.JPG Fake Lincoln pic.jpg lincoln fake again1.jpg
    Lincoln spends a lot of time deceased and in various coffins.

fake linc box.JPG
    Here's a favorite of mine, a photographer ( with his cell phone? ) just happened to snap this of the two couples at the moment Booth was sneaking up behind everyone.

Wish I could post the Belle Boyd, a blond beauty, but she's 'art', and not within the safe zone of public access.

lincoln fake (2).jpg
    Sorry there are so many ' Lincolns '. Here ' he ' is, at Gettysburg, followed by a woman in a dress anyone would term indecent in 1863. The hussy. :angel:

christmas3 fake.jpg
    She's a mannequin although the era may be correct- possibly a display from a Sanitary Fair. It's used as a ' real ' illustration of someone decorating their parlor for Christmas.

fake lin fam.JPG
    His parents and that large family of his, having time traveled into 1880.

lincoln familyb.jpg
    The whole family! Well, and a tourist wearing a golf shirt, dangling his camera from one hand. And when the White House was inside a museum that time in 1861.

Stopping here although there are more. This is a ' Lincoln's house-we think ' Ebay find, where someone is pretty-kinda-maybe sure he's on the porch.
    lincoln funny crop.jpg

It's fun, but also good to call out these, you know? Not in a spirit of critical judgment but as a resolve to keep History, well, History.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. connecticut yankee

connecticut yankee Sergeant

Great posting is so many ways! I couldn't stop snickering at many of your snide....err... sophisticated comments that fit the photos so well! Thanks for a great start to my day on ACWT...

JPK Huson 1863 and Zella like this.
  4. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Captain Trivia Game Winner

In the one of Edgar Allen Poe and Lincoln. Maybe my eyes, but Poe looks a lot like John Wilkes Booth. Scarier thought

5. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

[​IMG]

I had heard of people looking peaceful in death, but looking twenty years younger and far more handsome? Good Job, Abe!

6. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

[​IMG]
    Now this one looks like Johnny Cash! Wow, I never even knew they were related!:whistling:

7. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

I thought that as well.

Zella likes this.
  8. LoyaltyOfDogs

LoyaltyOfDogs First Sergeant

Enjoyed this post! An interesting fact about Lincoln photos that I learned only recently (which most others here probably already know) is that Lincoln and Mary were never photographed together.

NH Civil War Gal and Zella like this.
  9. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

Really? How odd. Is there a reason?

Zella likes this.
  10. LoyaltyOfDogs

None that I've ever heard.

Zella likes this.
  11. Robert Gray

Robert Gray First Sergeant

In this photograph taken on August 8, 1860, Lincoln stands to the right of his front door wearing a white suit. There is a chance that Mary is in one of the upstairs windows. Springfield, Ill. August 8, 1860. Photo by William Shaw.  O-34.jpg

12. Northern Light

Northern Light Major

Neat photo, RG! I would guess that Loyalty was referring to a studio portrait, rather than a crowd scene, however.

13. Seduzal

Seduzal 1st Lieutenant

Wow crazy looking photos! Thanks for sharing.

14. LoyaltyOfDogs

Thanks, @Northern Light, that's exactly what I meant. No portrait of the Lincolns together is known to exist.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  15. Mike Serpa

Mike Serpa Major

Everybody knows this one.
    ThisIsReal.jpg
    Civil War Pter0saur

16. Zella

Zella First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

That Poe/Lincoln mash-up photo is cracking me up so much. There's so much potential for a Poe story there! :bat::spider::skull:

17. mofederal

mofederal Captain

I really like the one with the pterodactyl. A great one for all of the wrong reasons. I still laugh at it from time to time. I guess it is just about dinosaurs. The Valley of the Gwangi revisited, or maybe The Mysterious Island.

18. wbull1

wbull1 Corporal

Unknown.jpeg Spirit photo that illustrates how photographic images can be faked.

19. JPK Huson 1863

Oh dear, snide? Rats, was going for dismissive, snide seems so swarmy! Must apologize ( really! ). Does drive me a little crazy when people no longer here to correct things get misrepresented, was hoping to present it as silly. Well, the one where Booth is in the box, behind everyone may deserve snide.... . How outrageous can someone get? :angel:

20. JPK Huson 1863

Forgot that one, thank you! An era faux photograph, toboot!

21. JPK Huson 1863

So it's not real? :D `Gee whiz, if flying dinosaurs were not part of the Civil War experience nothing makes sense any more. Next you'll be saying Lincoln wasn't out there killing vampires.

Now I'm fascinated, @Robert Gray - which is more likely, woman in middle window, holding a child?
    window.JPG

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)