Uniforms Best sutler for modernized frock coat

Val Halla

Cadet
Greetings y'all.
I have a question regarding the best place to start looking for a "modernized" Confederate officers frock coat. I'll try to explain what Im looking for...
I want a well-made and comfortable, tailored coat. It is intended for an everyday cold weather coat as opposed to a reenactment garment so exact period correct authenticity isn't as important as say, manufacture quality, fit, and functionality. I would like it to have functional cuffs, skirt pockets, quality fabric and stitching...etc. I have done a decent amount of research regarding possible sutlers. I've looked at most of the ones I've seen recommended on this and other forums like Wambaugh, Regimental, S&S and so forth. I guess my question boils down to wether a company that's considered a more mainstream option would actually serve my requirements better then say Wambaugh, who might concentrate on providing a more authentic reproduction. I have been looking at C&C. I've read both good and bad but from what I can see their custom garments appear to be of decent quality. Keep in mind that the coat would obviously be custom made so I'm interested in opinions specific to that line rather than a budget section.
I apologize for the length of this post but you don't get what you want by being vague. Any of your guys opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. If you want an every day cold weather coat why not look into a CS overcoat. I think that would be more practical. Dan Wambaugh makes a nice one http://wwandcompany.com/confederate-overcoat/, in fact he's my first choice for clothing and I see you've already looked into him. Another one you may want to check out is https://www.facebook.com/BeauregardsTailor/?ref=py_c He makes some really cool stuff. Keep in mind anything custom made is going to take several months. If you want something quicker and cheaper go with one of the mainstream sutlers you mentioned, they are all reputable and the the quality will be similar. My own preference would be pay a little more and be patient and you'll have a top quality garment that will give you good service for a long time.

...It is intended for an everyday cold weather coat as opposed to a reenactment garment...

When and where will this be worn then? Does it have a purpose beyond your just liking to wear such a coat everyday? ...which is perfectly reason enough. (On a much smaller scale I wear a sleep cap in winter just because I find it fully useful, regardless of reenacting).

When and where will this be worn then? Does it have a purpose beyond your just liking to wear such a coat everyday? ...which is perfectly reason enough. (On a much smaller scale I wear a sleep cap in winter just because I find it fully useful, regardless of reenacting).
Well I live in upstate New York (don't judge me lol) so there's plenty of cold weather opportunity to wear something like that. But that's pretty much it's only practical purpose. I just love the style and look of the uniform and I love what seeing Confederate uniforms, monuments, battle flags etc remind me of...determination, family, country, loyalty...I have a lot of respect for the men who wore that uniform. But in terms of practical applications, it's just going to be my coat.

Welcome from South Florida and the Reenactors Forum. If you want an every day cold weather coat why not look into a CS overcoat. I think that would be more practical. Dan Wambaugh makes a nice one http://wwandcompany.com/confederate-overcoat/, in fact he's my first choice for clothing and I see you've already looked into him. Another one you may want to check out is https://www.facebook.com/BeauregardsTailor/?ref=py_c He makes some really cool stuff. Keep in mind anything custom made is going to take several months. If you want something quicker and cheaper go with one of the mainstream sutlers you mentioned, they are all reputable and the the quality will be similar. My own preference would be pay a little more and be patient and you'll have a top quality garment that will give you good service for a long time.
I appreciate the response and the welcome. I will most definitely check out the Facebook page. And yeah I'm aware that it'll end up being next winter before I'm able to get much use out of it if I order custom but I've wanted this coat for a few years so I don't mind waiting if it seems there will be a significant difference in quality. Thanks again

I appreciate the response and the welcome. I will most definitely check out the Facebook page. And yeah I'm aware that it'll end up being next winter before I'm able to get much use out of it if I order custom but I've wanted this coat for a few years so I don't mind waiting if it seems there will be a significant difference in quality. Thanks again
There is another guy who makes some really nice stuff I forgot to mention, and he's up in your neck of the woods, that would be worth a look. https://www.facebook.com/thehonestsutler/?ref=py_c

Back