Best reproduction kepi or forage hat

Hey everyone,

Looking for a reproduction kepi or forage hat to wear around just for fun. My ancestor was in he Ohio 73rd, Co. E. I wanted to get a nice one. What kind of insignia might he have had in his? Any and all recommendations appreciated. By the way, my ancestor served from 61-65, would he have more likely had a kepi or forage? Thank you!

Bar none, Greg Starbuck makes the best forage caps and kepis.

https://www.facebook.com/Kepis-by-Starbuck-1495997197355435/

starbuck2.jpg

Dirty Billy makes slouch hats, forage caps and Leo is.

http://www.dirtybillyshats.com/

shop00a.jpg
Dirty Billy has been a Civil War Militaria collector and reenactor since he attended the Antietam Centennial in 1962. In 1981, he began selling his museum quality headwear to the public. Many of his reproductions are made using original blocks, and all are the result of his close study of original artifacts and period photographs.
Although Civil War period headgear is his biggest seller, he can reproduce hats ranging from the 1600s through to the Modern era. Dirty Billy has made hats for actors including Sam Elliot and Martin Sheen in Gettysburg, Patrick Swayze in North and South, and Tom Berenger in the Rough Riders. Other movies include Tombstone, Son of the Morning Star, and Gods and Generals.

If you don't see what you want in our catalog, just ask; chances are, Billy can make it. Dirty Billy's Hats are historical artifacts you can wear.

billy_port01.jpg

conf_gettys_fence_sm01.jpg

ace_of_cake.jpg

63_artillery_kepi_db_sm01.jpg

Hey everyone,

Looking for a reproduction kepi or forage hat to wear around just for fun. My ancestor was in he Ohio 73rd, Co. E. I wanted to get a nice one. What kind of insignia might he have had in his? Any and all recommendations appreciated. By the way, my ancestor served from 61-65, would he have more likely had a kepi or forage? Thank you!

What time period (early war, mid war, late war) do you want to portray?

I’m not a reenactor, just want a cool kepi or forage to wear around for fun. Probably something from Gettysburg era, since he was there with 73rd O.V.I. thanks for the suggestions! Should I try to get one with insignia? Would there have been his Company E on it or 73rd? Thank you!

Regulation would be the horn infantry insignia with the 73 inside the loop of the horn and the E over top of it. Some would have the Corps. badge with the number and letter over it. Starbuck and Dirty Billy are excellent recommendations for the serious authentic reenactor, they are the best in the business. For your needs you may check out something off the shelf from one of the big sutlers, my go to is Regimental Quartermaster in Gettysburg, regtqm.com. I'd go with a forage cap.

Regimental will also have the brass infantry insignia numbers and letter for you. I'm out of town and only have my phone or I'd post a picture of the insignia in the right place but if you google images of forage cap insignia you'll get plenty of examples. You'll find them on here if you look around.

I'd like to ask those more knowledgeable than I (a large fraternity) what is the general opinion of the forage cap (bummer) sold by Winchester Sutler? I used to wear one around "just for fun," it was inexpensive, sturdy, comfortable, and looked good to me, at least. Disappeared during a move about 10 years ago, and I miss it. Am thinking about getting another one. Frankly, "good enough" is good enough for me ... it's a fashion statement, not a museum piece.

I'd like to ask those more knowledgeable than I (a large fraternity) what is the general opinion of the forage cap (bummer) sold by Winchester Sutler? I used to wear one around "just for fun," it was inexpensive, sturdy, comfortable, and looked good to me, at least. Disappeared during a move about 10 years ago, and I miss it. Am thinking about getting another one. Frankly, "good enough" is good enough for me ... it's a fashion statement, not a museum piece.
I've never dealt with personally or even know of the Winchester sutler so I can't really comment from experience but I just did a search on them and it doesn't look to good. Like I recommended above I've always had good service from Regimental Quartermaster, usually my first stop if I'm looking for something. They have a great selection and if it's a stock item ship right away. Other reputable sutlers like Fall Creek, S&S, Blockade Runner, I've purchased items from all of them in the past with no complaints. They all offer a stock off the shelf forage cap that would suit your needs.

"Regulation would be the horn infantry insignia with the 73 inside the loop of the horn and the E over top of it. "

Actually, the 1861 Revised Regulations called for only company letters on enlisted men's forage caps. Officers could wear the branch of service insignia:

1521. For fatigue purposes, forage caps, of the pattern in the Quartermaster-General's office: dark blue cloth, with a welt of the same around the crown, and yellow metal letters in front to designate companies.
1522. Commisioned officers may wear forage caps of the same pattern, with the distinctive ornament of the corps or regiment in front.

Of course regulations weren't always followed, and since this to honor your ancestor you may decorate the cap any way you please.

My Starbuck caps are not only more historically accurate, but also much more comfortable than the cheaper repros I had previously. They were also a lot more expensive.

Back