Best place to visit on my next trip

gentlemanrob

Major
As many folks know I visit historical cemeteries taking pictures of General graves. I am currently trying to decide where I will go for my spring break 2021 trip. So far I am thinking Saint Louis, Doing an Ohio President's tour, Alabama trip, Little Rock, Louisiana and Virginia. My biggest worry is covid and my second worry is the weather. So I am open to other suggestions if anyone can think of a place.

Some of this depends on what interests you. Also how far you want to travel plays in to the mix. If you plan on visiting museums during your trip COVID may keep some museums closed as well as visitor centers at battlefields.

St Louis could keep you busy a couple days in just visiting notables in cemeteries in area, Whitehaven and Grants farm should be low attendance next couple months, all 3 activities largely outdoors as far as safety too.

The city a hot spot, so the hotel and dining be the most risk. Though imagine many hotels still low occupancy.

The closer to spring the more everything will increase.

St Louis could keep you busy a couple days in just visiting notables in cemeteries in area, Whitehaven and Grants farm should be low attendance next couple months, all 3 activities largely outdoors as far as safety too.

The city a hot spot, so the hotel and dining be the most risk. Though imagine many hotels still low occupancy.

The closer to spring the more everything will increase.
Yeah I need to get up that way. Its on my list of places to visit

As many folks know I visit historical cemeteries taking pictures of General graves. I am currently trying to decide where I will go for my spring break 2021 trip. So far I am thinking Saint Louis, Doing an Ohio President's tour, Alabama trip, Little Rock, Louisiana and Virginia. My biggest worry is covid and my second worry is the weather. So I am open to other suggestions if anyone can think of a place.

Arkansas is in the middle of a serious covid surge.
Little Rock (Pulaski County), has the state's largest population, and the largest number of cases, by far, 33, 000. That's 11 % of the whole state. If you feel compelled to go there, I recommend eating, gassing up the car, sleeping somewhere else and confining your visit to Little Rock cemeteries only.

Louisiana (especially NOLA and Baton Rouge) and Alabama (Birmingham is the most dangerous place and Mobile) are pretty dangerous,
Look at the numbers on the web

In Mississippi, Vicksburg (Warren County) has a low covid rate, as most of the state does, except for the Gulf coast, Jackson, and the counties nearest Memphis.

Kentucky is fairly safe, except for Louisville.

The area around Lyon County, named for Confederate General Hyland Benton Lyon, in the beautiful Land between the Lakes area and an easy drive to Fort Donelson, has a cumulative total of 404, that's four hundred and four cases,
I went to the area about 2 months ago and it was safe, and a wonderful place to visit. General Lyon's grave is in Eddyville, in Lyon County.

Stay safe

The St. Louis area should be a fairly interesting part of the country, I think I've read somewhere that Missouri came in third as far as Civil War battlefields and sights.

How deep into and how much time in Louisiana were you thinking about?

Around Donaldsonville - Bayou Goula
To the west is Baton Rouge National Cemetery, Magnolia Cemetery right next to it and Port Hudson National Cemetery. I have been to all 3 several times. Part of the Battle of Baton Rouge was fought in Magnolia Cemetery.

Oops I forgot to mention the name of St. Francisville.
And Grace Episcopal Church Cemetery there. Been there a couple times. Many Confederate veterans buried there and magnificent, old oak trees. Love that cemetery.

There is an area of Louisiana close to the town you just mentioned. They have some gorgeous Antebellun Plantations there, google it
Oak Alley Plantation is something else.

Back