Best pictorial book on ACW.

spudee

Cadet
G'day all,

Having been gradually digesting much written material on the ACW, I am now interested in seeing some good pictorial history of the conflict.

Anyone care to recommend a good pictorial `coffee table ' style book for me please?

Regards from down under.

"Campfires & Battlefields"... it will do a good job of holding down the coffee table, I guarantee that. I can't reacll the author at the moment. I'm certain it's still in print, though it might be a bit pricey.

G'day Shane,

Thanks mate. Wow, 2 inches thick over 500 pages and 1,000 photos. I have ordered it from Amazon as a Christmas gift for myself.

Regards from down under.

You may want to add this one to your Christmas list also...."The Illustrated Battle Cry Of Freedom", James McPherson..The original is a classic must have...and this one has informative captions under the photos and reprints. McPherson is one of the most respected authors on the subject.
ISBN: 0195159012
Format: Hardcover, 786pp
Pub. Date: October 2003 Publisher: Oxford University Press

Brian:
I have a large coffee table publication called "The Civil War" by David E. Roth. It is a compilation of photographs (mostly Brady) and original sketches from the Bettmann Archives. It was published in 1992 by Smithmark Publishers in New York. Excellent text to go with it. Don't think I've seen a better book so far. The copy I have came with a CD Rom also. I happened to find it in the bargain bin at a local bookstore. I paid 10 dollars it. Probably one of the best purchases I ever made. It is actually the book that renewed my interest in the Civil War. I would definately recommend it if you can find it.

Traveller

Back