Best Fighting Brigades

Opdyckes Brigade 1864.
74th Illinois
88th Illinois
36th Illinois
44th Illinois
24th Illinois
125th Ohio

Special Consideration to the 74/88th consolidated regiment @ Franklin. "The officers and men all did magnificently, but Lieutenant-Colonel Smith was conspicuous even among heroes, and his command captured five battle-flags." Col. Opdycke Vol 45 Official Records.

Philadelphia Brigade - particularly the 69th PA; fought in every major battle in the Eastern Theater. Lost their colonel and lieutenant colonel at Gettysburg and maintained their position at the angle, even after the 71st abandoned them and didn't provide reinforcements.

What is this Missouri Brigade? I had three great uncles in the 3rd Missouri Cavalry. Two were killed. I understand they may have been dismounted later in the war.

What is this Missouri Brigade? I had three great uncles in the 3rd Missouri Cavalry. Two were killed. I understand they may have been dismounted later in the war.
The First Missouri Brigade contained the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th regiments. Later in the war, due to losses, the regiments were combined, and gained a reputation as one of the war's best brigades.

The 1st 2nd & 3rd Mo Cavalry started the war on horses, but around the time the MSG was disbanded and the troops joined the CSA in early '62, the 1st & 3rd fought as dismounted troops. The 2nd kept their horses and ended the war fighting under Forrest.

Need to throw Minty's Cav Brigade into the ring. They were often going against Wheeler and Forrest outnumbered. Just saw that Eric has a book out on Wilder and Minty and their actions on Sept 18, 1863.

I need to do some reading on the Army of the Tennessee. Between Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, Vicksburg, Chattanooga, Atlanta I would imagine there would be some top notch brigades.

Back