Best Civil War books

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

jtroberts

Cadet
What biographies are considered the best (your opinion or those of scholars), either in-print and not in-print? Thanks for a reply.

Saint Jude

First Sergeant
Assuming you're including autobiographies and memoirs, IMO one of the best is Charles Wainwright's A Diary of Battle. (It deserved a better editor, as Nevins made several egregious factual errors and whose analysis of some of the events is highly questionable.)

jtroberts

Cadet
Assuming you're including autobiographies and memoirs, IMO one of the best is Charles Wainwright's A Diary of Battle. (It deserved a better editor, as Nevins made several egregious factual errors and whose analysis of some of the events is highly questionable.)
Thx

eeric

Private
This sounds more like a memoir than a bio, and have read lots of memoirs and never heard of this, but I looked it up and immediatly ordered a 6.95 copy : )

Bruce Vail

1st Lieutenant
I liked Fighting Prophet, a bio of Gen. William Sherman. It's kind of old, and might be guilty of being too sympathetic to Sherman, but is fully detailed and professionally written.

Saint Jude

First Sergeant
This sounds more like a memoir than a bio, and have read lots of memoirs and never heard of this, but I looked it up and immediately ordered a 6.95 copy : )
Since you like memoirs, you might also be interested in Theodore A. Dodge's On Campaign with the Army of the Potomac. (Too bad Stephen Sears was the editor, as IMO his book on Chancellorsville is awful.)