Best Brigade in the Army of the Potomac?

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
It's undeniable that the Army of the Potomac did some hard fighting in its career - but what was the best brigade in the army? Of course, it seems the obvious choice will be the Iron Brigade, and while I think I'd ultimately choose them, I think I'll give a few honorable mentions. The Philadelphia Brigade, especially the 69th Pennsylvania, was regarded as one of the best in the army, and I think their performance on the third day Gettysburg should prove that. Of course, there is also the Eastern Iron Brigade, which included the 14th Brooklyn "Red Legged Devils", the Irish Brigade, the Gibraltar Brigade, the Vermont Brigade, and the New Jersey Brigade, among others.

Last edited:
On a serious note I’d say it’s a very hard conversation as some folk would have skin in the game in terms of their ancestors being in particular brigades. Their virtues would be elevated and their failures would be passed on to others.

I think there aren't as many distinguishable Union brigades as, unlike Confederates, regiments were often shifted around and not always grouped together by state. However, there are many noteworthy regiments that weren't connected to a famous brigade.... the 5th New Hampshire, 1st Minnesota, 20th Indiana, 1st & 2nd US Sharpshooters are some that come to mind.

The Pennsylvania Reserves division was also great.

The 3rd Brigade in particular the 20th Maine deserves credit for a critical moment at a critical time , I know reports vary from chamberlain to spear but it was still a critical moment.

Last edited:
And what was left of it then was decimated early in the Overland. By the time they got to Petersburg they were a complete shell of what they had been.

I'd argue that they were a shadow of what they had been at the start of the campaign. The fact that they broke and ran at the Wilderness illustrates how far they had fallen and the fact that the heart of the brigade was torn out on McPherson's Ridge.

Ryan

The First Vermont Brigade was a mighty arm of the Army of the Potomac! Composed of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Vermont infantry regiments. This brigade suffered the highest casualties of any other brigade.
Regards
David

They get my vote as well. They didn't see much action at Antietam, Fredericksburg, or Gettysburg, but that allowed them to be the best infantry brigade at the end of the war. And they did buy time at Savage's Station for McClellan's "change of base of operations" to the James, stormed Marye's Heights during the Chancellorsville campaign, led the Sixth Corps' hurried march into Pennsylvania to get them in position in time to mop up any remnants of Pickett's charge that might have broken through, held the critical Plank Road-Broad Road intersection in the fiery Wilderness, rampaged through the Valley with Sheridan and had the line at Cedar Creek restored before the cavalier's famous arrival, and were the spearhead of the final assault that pierced the Confederate lines at Petersburg on April 2, 1865.

Total bias being from New Jersey but they do have a very storied history. During the war only one federal brigade experienced the entire war as a cohesive unit. Most brigades were composed of regiments from different states and were disbanded after 3 years. The Jersey Brigade is the only exception. The Brigade being made up of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 15th, 23rd, and 40th New Jersey took part in many of the large campaigns in the eastern theater. The Brigade was the 1st Brigade, 1st Division of the VI Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The Jersey Brigade play key roles during the 7 Days, 2nd Bull Run, South Mountain, and Chancellorsville. Not in engaged at Gettysburg the Brigade took part in the epic march of the VI Corps to reach Gettysburg on July 2, covering over 63 miles. The Brigade also had hard fought battle at Spotsylvania where the 15th New Jersey crossed the Rapidan with 15 Officers and 400 Enlisted, and 300 hundred became causalities. The 15th New Jersey is listed as one of Fox's 300 Fighting Regiments. Only 11 of 2,200 Union regiments suffered more battle casualties than these Jerseymen. The brigade finished out the war taking part in Cold Harbor and the siege of Petersburg.

Total bias being from New Jersey but they do have a very storied history. During the war only one federal brigade experienced the entire war as a cohesive unit. Most brigades were composed of regiments from different states and were disbanded after 3 years. The Jersey Brigade is the only exception. The Brigade being made up of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 10th, 15th, 23rd, and 40th New Jersey took part in many of the large campaigns in the eastern theater. The Brigade was the 1st Brigade, 1st Division of the VI Corps of the Army of the Potomac. The Jersey Brigade play key roles during the 7 Days, 2nd Bull Run, South Mountain, and Chancellorsville. Not in engaged at Gettysburg the Brigade took part in the epic march of the VI Corps to reach Gettysburg on July 2, covering over 63 miles. The Brigade also had hard fought battle at Spotsylvania where the 15th New Jersey crossed the Rapidan with 15 Officers and 400 Enlisted, and 300 hundred became causalities. The 15th New Jersey is listed as one of Fox's 300 Fighting Regiments. Only 11 of 2,200 Union regiments suffered more battle casualties than these Jerseymen. The brigade finished out the war taking part in Cold Harbor and the siege of Petersburg.
The New Jersey Brigade is certainly one of my favorites. Under commanders like Torbert and Colonel Penrose, they really shine brightly.
Neglect to mention the operations in the Valley, where the brigade (by that point operating more like a large regiment than a brigade) was involved in Opequon and Cedar Creek. I believe after Cedar Creek command had devolved to a Captain, though Penrose would return for the final events at Petersburg.
Will note, however, the New Jersey Brigade was not the only brigade that remained solely from one state. The Vermont Brigade, in the same Corps and another personal favorite (It only breifly contained a 9 month New Jersey Regiment during the Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville Campaigns; otherwise it consisted of Vermont regiments).

Back