Best Brigade in the Army of the Potomac?

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

OldReliable1862

Sergeant
Forum Host
It's undeniable that the Army of the Potomac did some hard fighting in its career - but what was the best brigade in the army? Of course, it seems the obvious choice will be the Iron Brigade, and while I think I'd ultimately choose them, I think I'll give a few honorable mentions. The Philadelphia Brigade, especially the 69th Pennsylvania, was regarded as one of the best in the army, and I think their performance on the third day Gettysburg should prove that. Of course, there is also the Eastern Iron Brigade, which included the 14th Brooklyn "Red Legged Devils", the Irish Brigade, the Gibraltar Brigade, the Vermont Brigade, and the New Jersey Brigade, among others.

Last edited:

KianGaf

Private
On a serious note I’d say it’s a very hard conversation as some folk would have skin in the game in terms of their ancestors being in particular brigades. Their virtues would be elevated and their failures would be passed on to others.

AUG

Major
Retired Moderator
I think there aren't as many distinguishable Union brigades as, unlike Confederates, regiments were often shifted around and not always grouped together by state. However, there are many noteworthy regiments that weren't connected to a famous brigade.... the 5th New Hampshire, 1st Minnesota, 20th Indiana, 1st & 2nd US Sharpshooters are some that come to mind.

The Pennsylvania Reserves division was also great.

KianGaf

Private
The 3rd Brigade in particular the 20th Maine deserves credit for a critical moment at a critical time , I know reports vary from chamberlain to spear but it was still a critical moment.

Last edited:

7thWisconsin

First Sergeant
First Brigade, First Division, I Corps - the Black Hats of the Iron Brigade. Last organized body of men to leave the first day's field @ Gettysburg.

Kurt G

Sergeant
For cavalry , the Michigan Cavalry Brigade......and not just because I'm a Wolverine.

rpkennedy

Major
And what was left of it then was decimated early in the Overland. By the time they got to Petersburg they were a complete shell of what they had been.
I'd argue that they were a shadow of what they had been at the start of the campaign. The fact that they broke and ran at the Wilderness illustrates how far they had fallen and the fact that the heart of the brigade was torn out on McPherson's Ridge.

Ryan

ealexander1865

Private
The First Vermont Brigade was a mighty arm of the Army of the Potomac! Composed of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th Vermont infantry regiments. This brigade suffered the highest casualties of any other brigade.
Regards
David
They get my vote as well. They didn't see much action at Antietam, Fredericksburg, or Gettysburg, but that allowed them to be the best infantry brigade at the end of the war. And they did buy time at Savage's Station for McClellan's "change of base of operations" to the James, stormed Marye's Heights during the Chancellorsville campaign, led the Sixth Corps' hurried march into Pennsylvania to get them in position in time to mop up any remnants of Pickett's charge that might have broken through, held the critical Plank Road-Broad Road intersection in the fiery Wilderness, rampaged through the Valley with Sheridan and had the line at Cedar Creek restored before the cavalier's famous arrival, and were the spearhead of the final assault that pierced the Confederate lines at Petersburg on April 2, 1865.

Luke Freet

Corporal
I'd Mention the Zouave Brigade under Warren, the O'Rorke, then Weed at Gettysburg. Them and the Pennsylvania Reserves.