Overland Best Books/Web Materials on the Overland Campaign

(Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor)
Not to add another to the list but "Lee's Army During the Overland Campaign" by Young makes for an interesting read. Also works on the events leading up to the Overland Campaign such as Bristoe Station, Mine Run, Rappahanock Station, etc etc.

Don't forget Theodore Lyman's letters. Originally titled, Meade's Headquarters, it was re-released as With Grant and Meade from the Wilderness to Appomattox with an Introduction by Brooks Simpson.

http://www.amazon.com/With-Grant-Meade-Wilderness-Appomattox-ebook/dp/B00CLFESPA

Lyman is a good one. Here's the free link to the Google Books version:

http://books.google.com/books?id=BC2pPnUJJsEC

Also, Lyman kept detailed notebooks from his time with Meade. Kent State University published these notebooks not too long ago. The detail is amazing and the price is pretty reasonable. You can get a used copy for under $10:

Meade’s Army: The Private Notebooks of Lt. Col. Theodore Lyman

Looks like you bit off a big chaw to chew on. Wade through Rhea first. Then you can get to the others.

Blue and Gray magazine has produced five issues dedicated exclusively to the battle of Spotsylvania and contain some material not present in Rhea's work - not to mention in depth tour info.

I'm confused (as usual) by a lot of this - if I want to read one, good book about the Overland Campaign, which would it be? If multiple volumes are required, does one start with Rhea or Bearss?

I'm confused (as usual) by a lot of this - if I want to read one, good book about the Overland Campaign, which would it be? If multiple volumes are required, does one start with Rhea or Bearss?
I have finished the first three in Rhea and I am half-way through Cold Harbor. All are very well-done.

In my opinion if you want a 1 volume work I would start with Bloody Roads South by Trudeau. Then I would graduate to Rhea's books which each volume is one of the major engagements.

Back