Overland Best Books/Web Materials on the Overland Campaign

(Wilderness, Spotsylvania, North Anna, Cold Harbor)

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
I am writing a series of article to appear in the Spring and Summer about the Overland Campaign in Virginia in 1864. Here is wikipedia's entry on the campaign. This is for my The immigrants' Civil War series.

Because i am concerned that there may be declining interest in the last 18 months of the Sesqui, i've decided to invest a lot of time in this project and I am looking for sources. If you have any suggestions as to the best books, articles, stuff on the internet, etc, I would be grateful.

I also like to embed video in my articles. If you know of any good video, particularly of scholarly lectures, battlefield tours, reenactments, etc., that would be very helpful.

If you would like to suggest any think else on the campaign or its battles, movements, etc., I would be grateful.

Gordon Rhea is a must for the Overland Campaign.
See also Noah Andre Trudeau's Bloody Roads South, Mark Grimsley's And Keep Moving On.
Don't forget Earl Hess' books on field fortifications in the Overland Campaign.
Also, check the biographies of Grant, Meade, Lee, and others involved, as well as microhistories of specific battles.

For websites, check out the Civil War Trust and the NPS.

This weekend's lectures at Gettysburg cover the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia in 1864.

I have to second the Overland Campaign series by Gordon Rhea. The 4 volumes provide an excellent narrative with sufficient maps to reduce the movement/battle of the two armies into a great read. I assume the series will continue at some point as the fourth book leaves it open for the next moves of the campaign. Excellent.

Gordon Rhea is a must for the Overland Campaign.
See also Noah Andre Trudeau's Bloody Roads South, Mark Grimsley's And Keep Moving On.
Don't forget Earl Hess' books on field fortifications in the Overland Campaign.
Also, check the biographies of Grant, Meade, Lee, and others involved, as well as microhistories of specific battles.

For websites, check out the Civil War Trust and the NPS.

This weekend's lectures at Gettysburg cover the Army of the Potomac and the Army of Northern Virginia in 1864.
Any recomendations on which micro histories of battles would be good for me to look over?

I am writing a series of article to appear in the Spring and Summer about the Overland Campaign in Virginia in 1864. Here is wikipedia's entry on the campaign. This is for my The immigrants' Civil War series.

Because i am concerned that there may be declining interest in the last 18 months of the Sesqui, i've decided to invest a lot of time in this project and I am looking for sources. If you have any suggestions as to the best books, articles, stuff on the internet, etc, I would be grateful.

I also like to embed video in my articles. If you know of any good video, particularly of scholarly lectures, battlefield tours, reenactments, etc., that would be very helpful.

If you would like to suggest any think else on the campaign or its battles, movements, etc., I would be grateful.

Let me put in a plug for Gordon Rhea as well. Rhea is fantastic, his research is impecible, and while four volumes on the Overland Campaign is quite an investment in time it's well work it for anyone interested in that particular period of the conflict.

any particular titles you would suggest?

The aforementioned books by Rhea.

Gary Gallagher, ed., The Wilderness Campaign
Grady McWhiney, Battle in the Wilderness: Grant Meets Lee
Stephen Cushman, Bloody Promenade: Reflections on a Civil War Battle

William D. Matter, If It Takes All Summer: The Battle of Spotsylvania

Eric Wittenberg, Glory Enough for All: Sheridan's Second Raid and the Battle of Trevilian Station

Don't forget the histories of the different units, such as the Army of the Potomac, the Army of Northern Virginia, and subordinate units. Bruce Catton's A Stillness at Appomattox is good. See also Jeff Wert's study of the Army of the Potomac and Joe Glathaar's study of the Army of Northern Virginia.

The aforementioned books by Rhea.

Gary Gallagher, ed., The Wilderness Campaign
Grady McWhiney, Battle in the Wilderness: Grant Meets Lee
Stephen Cushman, Bloody Promenade: Reflections on a Civil War Battle

William D. Matter, If It Takes All Summer: The Battle of Spotsylvania

Eric Wittenberg, Glory Enough for All: Sheridan's Second Raid and the Battle of Trevilian Station

Don't forget the histories of the different units, such as the Army of the Potomac, the Army of Northern Virginia, and subordinate units. Bruce Catton's A Stillness at Appomattox is good. See also Jeff Wert's study of the Army of the Potomac and Joe Glathaar's study of the Army of Northern Virginia.
As always, I am in your debt.

Let me put in a plug for Gordon Rhea as well. Rhea is fantastic, his research is impecible, and while four volumes on the Overland Campaign is quite an investment in time it's well work it for anyone interested in that particular period of the conflict.
Thanks. I've now picked up all four volumes.

I've yet to see it in bookstores, but I believe Ed Bearss has a new 2-volume set on the Overland Campaign / Siege of Petersburg.

Didn't know if you were aware of this, a work in progress I believe : http://www.beyondthecrater.com/

Back