Best Books on the Red River Campaign?

As I continue the quest (that I didn't really know I'd started) to make a "Best Books" thread for every major campaign of the war, I come now to the Red River Campaign. Listed in the order they appear on Amazon when you look up "red river campaign", I found eight:
The Red River Campaign: The Union's Final Attempt to Invade Texas (Gary D. Joiner)

Red River Campaign: Politics and Cotton in the Civil War (Ludwell H. Johnson)

The Red River Campaign and Its Toll: 69 Bloody Days in Louisiana, March-May 1864 (Henry O. Robertson)

The Red River Campaign of 1864 and the Loss by the Confederacy of the Civil War (Michael J. Forsyth)

One D**n Blunder from Beginning to End: The Red River Campaign of 1864 (Gary D. Joiner)

War Along the Bayous: The 1864 Red River Campaign in Louisiana (William Riley Brooksher)

Richard Taylor and the Red River Campaign of 1864 (Samuel W. Mitcham)

Through the Howling Wilderness: The 1864 Red River Campaign and Union Failure in the West (Gary D. Joiner)

Out of these, which are the best? I'm fine with buying more than one book for different aspects (one for the "big picture" and strategy, one for tactics). Each of these are in the 200-300 page range. I can't help but wonder if Gary D. Joiner's three books aren't just the same book, or have substantial differences in focus, scope, etc.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

AUG

Brigadier General
Forum Host
I've read Red River Campaign: Politics and Cotton in the Civil War and, while a good read, it's more of an overview, not very big on details when it comes to the actual battles. Many of the others seem to be the same thing.

I would recommend these as a follow-up read if you're looking for more tactical details:

Little to Eat and Thin Mud to Drink: Letters, Diaries, and Memoirs from the Red River Campaigns edited by Gary D. Joiner

The Red River Campaign: Union and Confederate Leadership in the War in Louisiana by Theodore P. Savas, David A. Woodbury, and Gary D. Joiner. (A combination of essays, two good ones on Gray's Louisiana Brigade at Mansfield and another on Porter's fleet)

Walker's Texas Division, C.S.A.: Greyhounds of the Trans-Mississippi by Richard Lowe also covers their actions in the campaign in-depth.

The Red River Campaign and Its Toll: 69 Bloody Days in Louisiana, March-May 1864 (Henry O. Robertson)
@bdtex reviewed this one here: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/the-red-river-campaign-and-its-toll.142285/

bdtex

Brigadier General
Civil War Photo Contest
Annual Winner
Regtl. Quartermaster Chickamauga 2018
The Red River Campaign: Union and Confederate Leadership in the War in Louisiana by Theodore P. Savas, David A. Woodbury, and Gary D. Joiner. (A combination of essays, two good ones on Gray's Louisiana Brigade at Mansfield and another on Porter's fleet)
I recommend that one too. It's been 3.5 years since I read it. I had to dig through my bookshelf to find it to make sure it was the one I read. Reviewed it here:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/th...e-leadership-and-the-war-in-louisiana.118357/

If your looking for info on Richard Taylor during the campaign, try reading his own book: Destruction and Reconstruction
He was pretty good at speaking on his own role...

As for the other books mentioned I see nothing wrong most of the suggestions, except Gary Joiner's books I read one or two years ago and found holes in them along with some stuff flat out wrong, like his belief that there were submarines in Shreveport, beyond that I can't remember what all was wrong, or interpreted incorrectly. As a general overview Joiner's books are okay, but better sources have been mentioned in my view.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)