Chickamauga Chattanooga Best Books on Chickamauga/Chattanooga?

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
What are the best books on the battles of Chickamauga and Chattanooga?

I have the Peter Cozzens books, but although I liked his works on Stones River and Iuka/Corinth, I found it impossible to get through his book on Chickamauga because of the sheer amount of detail. In other words, it was so focused on the trees that I couldn't see the forest anymore.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have the Peter Cozzens books, but although I liked his works on Stones River and Iuka/Corinth, I found it impossible to get through his book on Chickamauga because of the sheer amount of detail. In other words, it was so focused on the trees that I couldn't see the forest anymore.

I think Shelby Foote wrote a book on Chicamuaga. It is probably about 250 pages at most. That might do the job for you.

I stand corrected. I just googled Shelby Foote. He edited an anthology of stories about Chickamauga and other stories at one point in his career. Not something he wrote. I read parts of it years ago and if you are looking for a quick read this might be the book for you.

I agree; his book on Chickamuga is very dense, and unlike the one on Stones River, loses sight of the forest for the trees by the time the battle starts. Still, an impressive work. I think Tucker’s work (see UASKME’s comment below) might fit your needs.

Dave Powell's 3 volumes is very deep, much like Harry Pfanz's Gettysburg volumes. I like Powell's set though, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone just starting to study the battle.

Lee White has a small volume on the battle in the Emerging Civil War series from Savas Beattie. I'd say it's about 150 pages.

Peter Cozzens has a great volume on the battle that I enjoy.

I agree with a few of the posters here. Dave Powell's 3 volume set is the definitive work on the Chickamauga Campaign for me as well. I know around a year ago Glenn Robertson's book "River of Death--The Chickamauga Campaign: Volume 1" came out but I haven't gotten around to buying it yet. I know he is respected by Dave Powell for his knowledge and research on Chickamauga so I'm sure his book is probably excellent as well. But yeah, both of those books will be very detailed and long so may not be the best starting point unless you want to dive right in. Either way, having read through Dave Powell's 3 volume set twice now, I highly recommend it. Also his "Maps of Chickamauga" book is a good companion piece to read and follow along with as you read the other volumes.

I agree with a few of the posters here. Dave Powell's 3 volume set is the definitive work on the Chickamauga Campaign for me as well. I know around a year ago Glenn Robertson's book "River of Death--The Chickamauga Campaign: Volume 1" came out but I haven't gotten around to buying it yet. I know he is respected by Dave Powell for his knowledge and research on Chickamauga so I'm sure his book is probably excellent as well. But yeah, both of those books will be very detailed and long so may not be the best starting point unless you want to dive right in. Either way, having read through Dave Powell's 3 volume set twice now, I highly recommend it. Also his "Maps of Chickamauga" book is a good companion piece to read and follow along with as you read the other volumes.
Agree on all of these and if somebody can handle Cozzens they can handle Dave's three books on the battle IMHO. Robertson's book is the first of two and it is very good but much more at the operational level than the tactical level of the Powell books. The Powell maps volume is well done, too. If somebody develops an interest in this campaign, the well-done Powell study of Confederate cavalry, Failure in the Saddle, and Eric Wittenberg's excellent Hiolding the Line at the River of Death (about the Union cavalry's delaying action on September 19) are worth it, as well. Next year there will be a book on the prequel Tullahoma Campaign by the Wittenberg-Powell combination - best of both worlds.

Reactions: Sbc
Folks have already really covered the topic well, but I just have to chime in.

Cozzens is a one volume tactical offering...Dave's is basically three (and bear in mind that each was supposed to be at least another one hundred pages in length), but I thought Dave's overall strategic assessment blended nicely with his tactical story. If I only owned ONE book, it would be the Maps book as the text along with the maps really got me to understand the ebb and flow of Chickamauga. Robertson's latest volume is definitely a higher command study, and compliments Dave's trilogy very well.

Lee's Emerging Civil War book is very good for an intro. Wittenberg's "first day" book has a lot of Dave's source material that Eric weaved into a nice tale.

For Chattanooga, Dave has two books as part of the ECW series that are very good. Sword's book is good as a higher level study.

Agree on all of these and if somebody can handle Cozzens they can handle Dave's three books on the battle IMHO. Robertson's book is the first of two and it is very good but much more at the operational level than the tactical level of the Powell books. The Powell maps volume is well done, too. If somebody develops an interest in this campaign, the well-done Powell study of Confederate cavalry, Failure in the Saddle, and Eric Wittenberg's excellent Hiolding the Line at the River of Death (about the Union cavalry's delaying action on September 19) are worth it, as well. Next year there will be a book on the prequel Tullahoma Campaign by the Wittenberg-Powell combination - best of both worlds.

Ahhh, didn't know about the Tullahoma Campaign book. I'll have to check that one out when it is released.

Anything by David Powell. His trilogy covers the lead up thru the first day in the first book. The second book covers the second day. The third book covers the retreat to Chattanooga, plus casualty reports etc.
there is also ‘the Maps of Chickamauga’ by Powell, which breaks the battle down by the hour, with maps showing troop movements.
Powell also wrote ‘Failure In the Saddle’, which covers Forrest and Wheelers contribution to the battle.

A friend of mine loaned me a book titled Maps of Chickmauga. I read Maps first, then This Terrible Sound. Without Maps, I would have been in your boat also. Jim

It seems there was a similar question about the campaign not long ago. In it someone recommended the FIVE (!) issues of the now-defunct Blue & Gray Magazine on the Chickamauga Campaign from Tullahoma through Sept. 20, and I heartily concur - there text and maps form a comprehensive whole to make this complex campaign somewhat more comprehensible.

No matter what book you pick, you have to have good maps or you will be lost.

Cozzens is a good 1 volume but can be dry at times. Powell's is the best and an easier read even though its longer
I shall check Powell's book out. Thanks you

If you know a good bit about the Civil War, Powell and Cozzens is the way to go. Many people can’t handle that much detail. First thing I read was Cozzens. I would of been better off reading something a little Lighter, First. Worked up to a Regimental History such as Powell or Cozzens. I've read all of Powell's Books, most of it twice or more. He is a step beyond anybody else. Dr. Glenn Robertson wrote the Blue and Gray stuff. He is excellent. His River of Death is Unique. Waiting for his second volume reminds me of waiting for Led Zeppelin's next album when I was in College. My how times have changed.

Six Armies in Tennessee is also recommended by Powell. Book by Steven Woodworth.

Back