Best books about the Battle of Sayler's/Sailor's Creek?

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
The newest issue of Civil War Times magazine has a small article bout the portrait of battlefield advocate Chris Calkins being installed at the Sailor's Creek Park. Calkins was named manager of the Sailor's Creek Park in 2008 and was instrumental in getting the park off the ground in 1994. This got me thinking about the battle. I have visited the park and read about the battle in several books about the Appomattox Campaign, and the Battle of Sailor's Creek is well covered in Civil war magazine, but I do not believe I have ever read a book just about the battle. In fact I do not own a book just about the battle but do own Thirty-Six Hours Before Appomattox: The Battles of Sayler's Creek, High Bridge, Farmville and Cumberland Church written by Chris M. Calkins. I have never read Calkin's book and the article in Civil War Times magazine about his portrait made me think about reading the book. Thirty-Six Hours Before Appomattox: The Battles of Sayler's Creek, High Bridge, Farmville and Cumberland Church will be a short read of a mere 80 pages and even those so few pages have many maps and photographs. So 80 pages to cover four battles.

If I find the book interesting are there any longer books about the Battle of Sayler's Creek that I should read?

I know Chris very well. I have always enjoyed his writings. There is also Sailor's Creek: The Black Day of the Army by Colonel Greg Eanes, 2nd Edition, it's longer than the 1st edition. Lee's Last Stand Sailor's Creek, Virginia, 1865 by Derek Smith.

I will have to see if Thirty-Six Hours Before Appomattox: The Battles of Sayler's Creek, High Bridge, Farmville and Cumberland Church written by Chris M. Calkins perks my interest and if so perhaps I will want to read another book about the battle.

Calkins has a book about the whole Appomattox Campaign, of which I imagine 36 Hours is an excerpt from. or precursor to. I haven't read either though.

Lee's Last Retreat also covers the Appomattox Campaign, including Sayler's Creek.

The battlefield is a remarkable bit of topography as the titular creek is flanked by two very prominent and open hills. I'm not sure the elevation change but it's quite the view.

Sir, not a book but some free reading...

University of Richmond
UR Scholarship Repository
Master's Theses
Student Research
Summer 1967

Sayler's Creek : a battlefield, a park
Peter Warren Eldredge

This Thesis is brought to you for free and open access by the Student Research at UR Scholarship Repository. It has been accepted for inclusion in Master's Theses by an authorized administrator of UR Scholarship Repository. For more information, please contact
[email protected].

The significance in history of the land area known as Sayler's Creek is derived from the fact that the last major conflict between Union and Confederate forces was fought there on April 6, 1865. The battle has been neglected because it immediately precedes the surrender; however, the engagement does contain valuable historical information.

University of Richmond
UR Scholarship Repository
Honors Theses
Student Research

The last battle of the War between the States
Edward J. Norfleet
University of Richmond

This Thesis is brought to you for free and open access by the Student Research at UR Scholarship Repository. It has been accepted for inclusion in Honors Theses by an authorized administer

Abstract
The last battle of the War Between the States occurred in a vicinity particularly well adapted for the military tragedy that it was. The meandering Appomattox river found its way between hills the were high and close to the stream, making the approaches to it very difficult. It was a poor defensive position because the rear could be easily taken. Over the whole of this area grew dark pine woods, broken by scattered plantations and a few small farms. Under the circumstances the Confederates did all that could be expected.

Cheers,
USS ALASKA

Attachments

• Saylers Creek _ a battlefield a park.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
  • The last battle of the War between the States.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Back