NF Best book on relationship between Grant and Johnson 1865-1868.. 1865-

Non-Fiction
I am not as well read about Grant and/or early Reconstruction as many of you, and I know that Chernow's Grant is not popular with many of you. But I did appreciate & learn quite a bit about the Grant-Johnson relationship & about the period between the surrenders & Grant's inauguration from the Chernow's book.

I am not as well read about Grant and/or early Reconstruction as many of you, and I know that Chernow's Grant is not popular with many of you. But I did appreciate & learn quite a bit about the Grant-Johnson relationship & about the period between the surrenders & Grant's inauguration from the Chernow's book.

I never put stock into anything anyone says good or bad about a book. I read it and then decide myself if it is a good book or not. I have as of yet read a book that I did not learn something from. I am not saying all books are good, just that I learn from them all.

Respectfully,
William
2.jpg

I never put stock into anything anyone says good or bad about a book. I read it and then decide myself if it is a good book or not. I have as of yet read a book that I did not learn something from. I am not saying all books are good, just that I learn from them all.

"I learn from them all." There's a lot of truth in your statement, William, and I've found that it's also a good idea to read several books, not just one, on a topic. Of course this can be awfully hard on the book budget, or involve a lot of waiting for a public library copy to be available.

I happened to like Chernow's book on Grant.it was an easy read and did contain alot of information.the problem most people appears to be that Chernow portrays Grant as being an Alcoholic.it has been known that on a few occasions Grant may have had a problem with the bottle and a drink or two was too many for him,but Chernow keeps referring to it over and over again.what he says in most cases had absolutely no bearing on events that followed,his comment may have added some color to his work but they added nothing of value and really were not needed.aside from this it's a good book.

I am off to my favorite bookstore in Jacksonville which is a used booktore that has several million books.their ACW selection has well over 5,000 selections.
Will you for the above recommendations plus a couple of others such as:

After Lincoln,The Ordeal of Reunion by A.J.La gguth.
Andrew Johnson and Reconstruction by Eric McKittrick.

"I learn from them all." There's a lot of truth in your statement, William, and I've found that it's also a good idea to read several books, not just one, on a topic. Of course this can be awfully hard on the book budget, or involve a lot of waiting for a public library copy to be available.

You are right about that, a book budget does make it hard. I have always been the type to read all one can on a subject, the good, the bad, the ugly, the pros, the cons, and then....................make your own decision about the topic in question. IMO we are often, way too often, spoon fed our history.....................But

I do learn from them all..............

Hope you and all our members have a wonderful peaceful, and relaxing day !!!

Respectfully,
William
Country Cabin.jpg

Back