NF Best biography of Earl Van Dorn

Non-Fiction

OldReliable1862

First Sergeant
There are two main biographies of Major General Earl Van Dorn available: Robert G. Hartje's Van Dorn: The Life of a Confederate General,and Arthur B. Carter's The Tarnished Cavalier: Major General Earl Van Dorn, CSA. I wanted to ask any students of the Trans-Mississippi theater which one is the best if I had to pick one.

Speaking of the Trans-Miss, what are some good books on:
Sterling Price; Civil War Missouri and the Missouri State Guard; Civil War St. Louis; Benjamin McCulloch; and Sibley's New Mexico Campaign.

There are two main biographies of Major General Earl Van Dorn available: Robert G. Hartje's Van Dorn: The Life of a Confederate General,and Arthur B. Carter's The Tarnished Cavalier: Major General Earl Van Dorn, CSA. I wanted to ask any students of the Trans-Mississippi theater which one is the best if I had to pick one.

Speaking of the Trans-Miss, what are some good books on:
Sterling Price; Civil War Missouri and the Missouri State Guard; Civil War St. Louis; Benjamin McCulloch; and Sibley's New Mexico Campaign.
Thomas Cutrer's biography of McCulloch is very good - Ben McCulloch and the Frontier Military Tradition. For Sterling Price, you can't go wrong with Albert Castel's General Sterling Price and the Civil War in the West. It's obviously CW focused. For more of a biography of Price himself, try Robert Shalhope's Sterling Price: Portrait of a Southernor.

I can't speak regarding the Van Dorn biographies as I haven't read either of them. I'm curious as to other opinions on those as I have the same question regarding them. Carter's is newer.

Louis Gerteis has two books that might interest you. The Civil War in Missouri: A Military History and Civil War St. Louis. The first one is pretty general but provides a good overview of the War in Missouri. For Sibley's campaign, I really liked Donald Frazier's Blood and Treasure: Confederate Empire in the Southwest.

There is no book length history of the Missouri State Guard. Sterling Price's Lieutenants, compiled by several MSG historians, provides a list of all known MSG officers and does provide some historical info regarding the MSG. The MSG desperately needs a book length study, but I don't know if anyone is going to do one.

Hope this helps.

Thomas Cutrer's biography of McCulloch is very good - Ben McCulloch and the Frontier Military Tradition. For Sterling Price, you can't go wrong with Albert Castel's General Sterling Price and the Civil War in the West. It's obviously CW focused. For more of a biography of Price himself, try Robert Shalhope's Sterling Price: Portrait of a Southernor.

I can't speak regarding the Van Dorn biographies as I haven't read either of them. I'm curious as to other opinions on those as I have the same question regarding them. Carter's is newer.

Louis Gerteis has two books that might interest you. The Civil War in Missouri: A Military History and Civil War St. Louis. The first one is pretty general but provides a good overview of the War in Missouri. For Sibley's campaign, I really liked Donald Frazier's Blood and Treasure: Confederate Empire in the Southwest.

There is no book length history of the Missouri State Guard. Sterling Price's Lieutenants, compiled by several MSG historians, provides a list of all known MSG officers and does provide some historical info regarding the MSG. The MSG desperately needs a book length study, but I don't know if anyone is going to do one.

Hope this helps.
This is great, thanks so much!

Back