Best Baffling Advertisement Ever For Something We Never Heard Of

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
kiss hidden hand.jpg

" Whiteley's Original Hidden Hand Co. " Couldn't help myself, HADDD to know. Whatever this ad was selling, would like six, please. Image, LoC

So how many times has an era article or photo been so baffling you spend time you don't have puzzling it out? Once in awhile I don't try because explaining the whole thing ruins how delightful it is. Not sure I want to know a. what they're selling and b. what happened to the advertising agent who came up with this.

Ah. It's an ad but without a household product. Beginning in 1850 or so, company of actors used this form of poster to promote their plays. This one seems to be post war with the plot taking place earlier. " The Let It Be The Kiss Of Death ", pre horror movie, we still liked the dark stuff. Like the old movie posters in front of theaters, before everything lit up in digital.

View attachment 290513
" Whiteley's Original Hidden Hand Co. " Couldn't help myself, HADDD to know. Whatever this ad was selling, would like six, please. Image, LoC

So how many times has an era article or photo been so baffling you spend time you don't have puzzling it out? Once in awhile I don't try because explaining the whole thing ruins how delightful it is. Not sure I want to know a. what they're selling and b. what happened to the advertising agent who came up with this.

Ah. It's an ad but without a household product. Beginning in 1850 or so, company of actors used this form of poster to promote their plays. This one seems to be post war with the plot taking place earlier. " The Let It Be The Kiss Of Death ", pre horror movie, we still liked the dark stuff. Like the old movie posters in front of theaters, before everything lit up in digital.
And no one noticed that the carpet was cut into a square in the middle of the room?

What a great name for a theater group. "Hidden Hand" Patrons knew what to expect from the name alone.

Yes, and the other posters are wonderfully dramatic too in case ' Hidden Hand ' hadn't been enough. Love to see ad execs give these another look. Luxury cars zooming over mountain passes only inspires me to wonder who can afford one and why they'd be taking it over a mountain? I'd buy anything offered in this poster- and go see the play even if it was cheesy.

And no one noticed that the carpet was cut into a square in the middle of the room?

Heck, have a feeling I'd trip over one before seeing it. Once had a car for 4 years before discovering the ashtray. That's a true story. Hole in the carpet might take longer.

And there are more, JPK! It would seem to be a story series that appeared in a newspaper.
Whiteley's Original Hidden Hand Company presenting an entirely new dramatization of the New York Ledger's greatest story by Mrs. E.D.E.N. Southworth, the famous Southern novelist - the LCCN2014637385
- Image ID: M7FX39

whiteleys-original-hidden-hand-company-presenting-an-entirely-new-M7FX39.jpg

Goodness, how I love Google!

Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth (December 26, 1819 – June 30, 1899) was an American writer of more than 60 novels in the latter part of the 19th century. She was the most popular American novelist of her day.[1][2]
In her novels, of which the most popular was The Hidden Hand (1859), her heroines often challenge modern perceptions of Victorian feminine domesticity by showing virtue as naturally allied to wit, adventure, and rebellion to remedy any unfortunate situation. [3]

1550344725026.png
Wikipedia

Now I am a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery and Louisa May Alcott. Years ago, I was at the museum in Stratford Ontario and a lot of Ms Montgomery's personal possessions was on display.

Now I am a fan of Lucy Maud Montgomery and Louisa May Alcott. Years ago, I was at the museum in Stratford Ontario and a lot of Ms Montgomery's personal possessions was on display.
I am a fan as well, of both women. I still reread their books every once in a while.

Back