Bernard Baruch and the Rebel Yell...

Last edited:
Bernard Baruch's father, Simon, was a regimental surgeon with a South Carolina regiment. He later moved to New York City, where he became a leading proponent of hygiene and helped establish bathing faculties for the city's poorest tenement neighborhoods. There's a junior high school in Manhattan named in his honor.

I suppose I thought Bernard popped up full-grown. Gee, shouldn't they change the name of the school? LOL

This jumped out at me:

accounts from Union soldiers state that the yell would “send a corkscrew sensation up your spine when you heard it” adding that “if you claim to have heard it and weren’t scared, then you never actually heard it.”
"Wolf howl," "Indian war whoop," "banshee scream," some combination of all those things.... I think I can imagine it, all right. And I hope I never, ever hear it in earnest!

This jumped out at me:

accounts from Union soldiers state that the yell would “send a corkscrew sensation up your spine when you heard it” adding that “if you claim to have heard it and weren’t scared, then you never actually heard it.”
"Wolf howl," "Indian war whoop," "banshee scream," some combination of all those things.... I think I can imagine it, all right. And I hope I never, ever hear it in earnest!

I can do it for you in September...

I can do a pretty good version of the Rebel Yell but it sounds better with fortified lubricant I think.

rebel yell.jpg

I never fail to log on here and not learn something new. I had no idea Baruch came from a Southern family.

There is an old book in my mother's house, "This is the South," (I don't remember who wrote it) that explains the Rebel Yell's origin as a Native American hunting cry. It was meant to scare the bejesus out of prey and “if you claim to have heard it and weren’t scared, then you never actually heard it” is probably spot on!

Back