Bentonville

cool, wonder what the comparison would look like today.

This is how a section of them looked when I was there to participate in the 150th anniversary reenactment in 2015.

remains-of-union-earthworks.jpg

trenches sign.jpg

The soil there is very soft and sandy. In a previous reenactment we easily dug trenches on the battlefield using just our mugs, tin plates and some period shovels. I would imagine things erode pretty fast there.

2007 01 16 009 - Copy.JPG

Must admit, it was great being able to reenact on original ground, on the other hand, it's hallowed ground, so I felt awkward disturbing it. However, they do this or something similar for every reenactment, so if the owners/caretakers don't mind...

They only hold that reenactment every 5 years, so the next one is in 202o.

Last edited:
Good post @CSA Today ! There were 2 Texas Cavalry regiments at Bentonville, the other being the 11th Texas Cavalry. I have done quite a bit of research on them. Lesser known than the 8th Texas (Terrys' Texas Rangers) but there are some great stories associated with the 11th Texas Cavalry.....dismounted for a year, a Colonel murdered, and the fantastic story of Lt Walsh at Raleigh.
Any of your research shed light on the 11th’s or any of its sister regiments action between Columbia and the Pee Dee River? I’m particularly interested in a skirmish (Phillips Crossroads) that occurred in Anson County. Some of Wheeler’s veterans also identified it as Wadesboro.

Any of your research shed light on the 11th’s or any of its sister regiments action between Columbia and the Pee Dee River? I’m particularly interested in a skirmish (Phillips Crossroads) that occurred in Anson County. Some of Wheeler’s veterans also identified it as Wadesboro.

“While Sherman in Cheraw [S.C.], contemplated his next move, Kilpatrick, across the state line, commenced operations. The cavalry commander was not close enough to Cheraw on March 3 to harass the retreating Hardee but the next day at Phillips Cross-Roads, North Carolina, a portion of his command was more than harassed by Wheeler. In an all day skirmish the Confederates took fifty prisoners and were on the verge of complete victory when Federal artillery was brought into play.”

John G. Barrett, Sherman's March Thought The Carolinas., p113.

Unfortunately, the Federal Artillery showed up in force late in the day.

“While Sherman in Cheraw [S.C.], contemplated his next move, Kilpatrick, across the state line, commenced operations. The cavalry commander was not close enough to Cheraw on March 3 to harass the retreating Hardee but the next day at Phillips Cross-Roads, North Carolina, a portion of his command was more than harassed by Wheeler. In an all day skirmish the Confederates took fifty prisoners and were on the verge of complete victory when Federal artillery was brought into play.”

Thank you, but Wade and I are always on the lookout for primary sources, as we are researching for a book.

Thank you. Unfortunately, Barrett’s brief narrative can be somewhat misleading. Not all of Wheeler’s command was there, which proved fortunate for Kilpatrick as he only had two brigades onhand win the Confederates initiated contact. Eric Wittenberg and I walked the site last year and are returning again this fall for another follow up. I’m searching for more primary source Confederate accounts.

Thank you. Unfortunately, Barrett’s brief narrative can be somewhat misleading. Not all of Wheeler’s command was there, which proved fortunate for Kilpatrick as he only had two brigades onhand win the Confederates initiated contact. Eric Wittenberg and I walked the site last year and are returning again this fall for another follow up. I’m searching for more primary source Confederate accounts.

Other than J. Wheeler's report I don't whether the other reports are Confederate, or Federal or from both sources

Barrett's footnote 105: “For description of the skirmish at Phillips Cross Roads, N.C. on March 4, 1865, see reports of G. S. Ackers, S. D.Atkins, C. Blandford, L.J. Jordan, D. H. Kimmel, R.H. King, T.W. Sanderson, O. Star, M. Van Buskirk, W. B. Way, and J. Wheeler on campaign of the Carolinas in OR, XLVII, Pt. I, Ser. I.”

Other than J. Wheeler's report I don't whether the other reports are Confederate, or Federal or from both sources

Barrett's footnote 105: “For description of the skirmish at Phillips Cross Roads, N.C. on March 4, 1865, see reports of G. S. Ackers, S. D.Atkins, C. Blandford, L.J. Jordan, D. H. Kimmel, R.H. King, T.W. Sanderson, O. Star, M. Van Buskirk, W. B. Way, and J. Wheeler on campaign of the Carolinas in OR, XLVII, Pt. I, Ser. I.”

They’re Federal, which makes it tough from the Confederate perspective. Good stuff though, as I love the research challenge. Thanks for posting.

Back