Bentonville

IMG_1516_zps3c2ef13d.jpg

They've deteriorated more due to erosion, but at the same time, there are places in the trenches at Bentonville where you can still see the original head logs and revetments. That iron heart pine simply does not rot. When I helped Ed Bearss and Mark Bradley lead a tour there in September, Ed mentioned that to his knowledge, there is no other place in the United States where such things can still be seen. Having seen them my self a number of times, it really is a remarkable thing to see.

That iron heart pine turns into fat lighter. Which we all know is great to start a fire.
It's like what we used as kindling to start fires in the fire place when I was growing up. It lights almost as fast as gasoline...:smile: ...and is not near as dangerous. We called them "pine knots." They produced a dense black smoke and when we would see a car or truck burning a lot of oil we would say "looks like he's burning pine knots for fuel."

They've deteriorated more due to erosion, but at the same time, there are places in the trenches at Bentonville where you can still see the original head logs and revetments. That iron heart pine simply does not rot. When I helped Ed Bearss and Mark Bradley lead a tour there in September, Ed mentioned that to his knowledge, there is no other place in the United States where such things can still be seen. Having seen them my self a number of times, it really is a remarkable thing to see.

I've always heard that the Mine Run earthworks are in a pristine condition but since they are mostly on private property no one ever really get to see them. Is that a fact or just legend?

Walt

I took this photograph last summer on the WWI battlefield of Ypres in Belgium. These woods are on a small patch of No Mans Land preserved untouched by a farmer and his descendants as a memorial and museum.
The 100 year old trench is part of the 3rd line used for supplies and hospital. On the original battlefield there would also have been a front line and fall back line.
The degree of decay is similar to the CW trench. Nature gradually heals the scars.
13567030_10155002500353047_3036315983219792062_n.jpg

thanks Eric for sharing that info, it would be some thing to see, it so great that people go to these places and share the pictures.
The Friends of Bentonville Battlefield Association is assisting the staff at the battlefield in putting in a walking trail that will follow the entrenchments of both the Army of Tennessee and Carlin's XIV Corps division. You will be able to observe the portion Eric Wittenberg commented.

Monument dedicated to Texas soldiers at Bentonville. Specifically mentioned is the 8th Texas cavalry.

Commemorative Landscapes of North Carolina
ban.jpg

• Texas Soldiers Monument, Bentonville Battlefield, Four Oaks
506_rep.jpg

Source: Texas Soldiers Monument, Bentonville Battlefield, Four Oaks. Photo by B. Coughlin, courtesy of HMdb.org

• Monument Name
    Texas Soldiers Monument, Bentonville Battlefield, Four Oaks

• Type
    Marker

• Subjects
    Civil War, 1861-1865

• City
    Four Oaks

• County
    Johnston

• Description
    This monument is a simple granite marker atop a granite base; it appears to rise six to seven feet above the ground. The marker has inscriptions on both sides with a stair-step design on the front leading up to the inscription. On both sides, above the inscriptions, a star surrounded by a wreath is set out from the stone on the monument. It was placed by the State of Texas in remembrance of the citizens of Texas who fought at the Battle of Bentonville.

Front: TEXAS / REMEMBERS THE VALOR AND DEVOTION OF / HER SONS WHO SERVED AT BENTONVILLE / MARCH 19-21, 1865 / THE EIGHTH TEXAS CAVALRY WAS ENGAGED / WITH THE LEFT WING OF SHERMAN’S UNION / ARMY ON THE EVE OF THE BATTLE OF / BENTONVILLE. DURING THE BATTLE ON / MARCH 21, THE EIGHTH TEXAS AGAIN / PERFORMED VALUABLE SERVICE IN THE / CONFEDERATE ATTACK ON UNION GENERAL / JOSEPH MOWER’S DIVISION OF THE / SEVENTEENTH ARMY CORPS. LIEUTENANT- / GENERAL WILLIAM J. HARDEE, COMMANDING / A CORPS IN THE BATTLE, ORDERED ABOUT / 80 MEN OF THE EIGHTH TEXAS COMMANDED / BY CAPTAIN “DOC” MATHEWS, A MERE BOY, / TO OPPOSE MOWER’S ADVANCE THE TEXANS / ATTACKED IN CONJUNCTION WITH OTHER / CAVALRY COMMANDED BY GENERAL WHEELER / AND LIEUTENANT-GENERAL WADE HAMPTON / AND CUMMING’S GEORGIA BRIGADE. YOUNG / “WILLIE” HARDEE, GENERAL HARDEE’S ONLY / SON, CHARGED WITH THE EIGHTH TEXAS AND / WAS KILLED. UNDER HEAVY CONFEDERATE / PRESSURE, MOWER SOON WITHDREW HIS / DIVISION TO ITS ORIGINAL POSITION / DURING THE CONFEDERATE RETREAT FROM / BENTONVILLE THE EIGHTH AND ELEVENTH / TEXAS CAVALRY PLAYED A PROMINENT ROLE / (SEE OTHER SIDE)

Rear: IN OPPOSING THE UNION PURSUIT FROM / MILL CREEK BRIDGE UNTIL THE PURSUERS / WITHDREW AT HANNAH’S CREEK THE TEXANS / WERE SURRENDERED WITH THE REMNANTS / OF THE ARMY OF TENNESSEE AT GREENSBORO / NORTH CAROLINA IN MAY 1865 / TEXAS UNITS AT BENTONVILLE / 6TH 7TH AND 10TH AND 15TH TEXAS INFANTRY / 17TH 18TH AND 24TH AND 25TH DISMOUNTED / CALVARY 8TH AND 11TH TEXAS CAVALRY / A MEMORIAL TO TEXANS / WHO SERVED THE CONFEDERACY / ERECTED BY THE STATE OF TEXAS 1964

• Custodian
    North Carolina Historic Sites, A Division of North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources

• Dedication Date
    March 21, 1965

Good post @CSA Today ! There were 2 Texas Cavalry regiments at Bentonville, the other being the 11th Texas Cavalry. I have done quite a bit of research on them. Lesser known than the 8th Texas (Terrys' Texas Rangers) but there are some great stories associated with the 11th Texas Cavalry.....dismounted for a year, a Colonel murdered, and the fantastic story of Lt Walsh at Raleigh.

Back