"Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
This post is for Farawayfriend, as she loves Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream.

The book is by Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield, the founders of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream. There is an introduction on how they formed their business and then they share all the recipes and techniques that have made them nationwide heroes. Specially adapted to make at home, there are 90 recipes, including sorbets, summer slushes, giant sundaes, and other ice cream concoctions. All you have to do is remember Ben & Jerry's two rules of ice-cream making:

Rule #1

"You don't have to be a pro to make incredibly delicious ice cream.

Rule # 2

"There's no such thing as an unredeemingly bad batch of homemade ice cream."

French Vanilla

"A good vanilla ice cream is the measure of all ice creams. We like ours rich, creamy, and easy to make."

2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy or whipped cream
1 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Whisk the eggs in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in the sugar, a little at a time, then continue whisking until completely blended, about I minute more. Pour in the cream, milk, and vanilla, and whisk to blend.

Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze following the manufacturer's instructions.

Makes 1 quart."

From: "Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream & Dessert Book" , Ben Cohen & Jerry Greenfield with Nancy J. Stevens, Workman Publishing, New York, 1987, page 35.

When that flavor was introduced in Japan it's name was supposedly mistranslated as Chunks of Monkey.
On a climbing trip to Chamonix many years ago, my French climbing partner attempted to give me a back-handed compliment by telling me I looked "fish in a bowl". Took me the rest of the day to figure out he meant "fashionable" - which, of course, is the opposite of what he meant. Good climber though.

Donna, I'm overwhelmed!
Thank you!!!!
Not only their icecream and the history of their business is outstanding, the names are, too

As I have already posted yesterday, my favourite is New York Super Fudge Chunk.
My former superior, the retired chief of library staff is a huge fan of Grateful Dead. And as a true Deadhead of course he liked best "Cherry Garcia".

Does anybody know what flavour "Chubby Hubby" is? I did not dare to order it yet .... and neither did my husband because he was scared of that name :tongue:

Donna, I'm overwhelmed!
Thank you!!!!
Not only their icecream and the history of their business is outstanding, the names are, too

As I have already posted yesterday, my favourite is New York Super Fudge Chunk.
My former superior, the retired chief of library staff is a huge fan of Grateful Dead. And as a true Deadhead of course he liked best "Cherry Garcia".

Does anybody know what flavour "Chubby Hubby" is? I did not dare to order it yet .... and neither did my husband because he was scared of that name :tongue:

Chubby Hubby is peanut butter, pretzels and fudge - you'll like it! My favorite is the Willie Nelson Peach Cobbler and the runner-up is Karamel Sutra. Of course, I won't turn down any of them! :smug: One I really liked is now in the Ben and Jerry's Flavor Graveyard...

Expired Image Removed

"According to the book, New York Super Fudge Chunk was developed as a regional flavor for the sophisticated New York palate. After coming up with several variations in our Burlington lab, we packed the samples in dry ice and shipped them by bus to New York consultants, a group of musicians on Manhattan's Upper West Side. Following several weeks of refinement and discussion, they decided on the final recipe."

Cherry Garcia. According to their book, " a couple of Dead Heads in Maine sent us a postcard with a name for a new flavor. They left the recipe up to us. We got to work with some fresh bing cherries and threw in the chocolate flakes as a last minute inspiration. Apparently Jerry Garcia and his wife were crazy about the ice cream."

Back