Ben Grierson rating

The man almost completely swept up Forrests' division in one ambush, disabled two trains and the relevant railroads in one general engagement, drew an entire infantry division away from Vicksburg, severed the citys' supply lines and lines of communication while being almost constantly outnumbered.

Vote Here:
Among union mounted forces commanders where should Grierson rank?
His 1863 Mississippi raid was a total success and, with the exception of Brice's Cross Roads, his CW career appears to be solid. He was, however, not a West Point graduate which probably eliminated him from the positions given to George Stoneman and Judson Kilpatrick.

Vote Here:
I like him. He served well, not perfectly, but very competently. Certainly The Raid was his masterpiece, but his post-war command of the 10th Cavalry Buffalo Soldiers was solid as well. Sheridan did not like him, and so that limited him in the Indian Wars, but his water hole strategy in Victorio's War forced Victorio back into Mexico where Victorio was killed.

Vote Here:
As stated above Grierson thwarted Victorio and during Sherman's tense confrontation with hostile Kiowas on Grierson's porch at Fort Sill Grierson jumped on Lone Wolf and prevented him from shooting Uncle Billy.

Vote Here:
As stated above Grierson thwarted Victorio and during Sherman's tense confrontation with hostile Kiowas on Grierson's porch at Fort Sill Grierson jumped on Lone Wolf and prevented him from shooting Uncle Billy.
I forgot that one. Sherman also dodged death at the hands of Kiowas in his journey to Ft. Richardson, I think. They watched him pass, but did not attack based on a medicine man's advice. A day or so later they attacked supply wagons and killed all the drivers.

Last edited:
Vote Here:
You're one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to the Union cavalry so I'd be interested in who you put in the top 10. No need to rank them.
I will rank them. These are ranked as brigade commanders only:

1. Robert H. G. Minty
2. John Buford
3. Wade Hampton
4. George A. Custer
5. Benjamin Grierson
6. William H. F. Lee
7. Wesley Merritt
8. Thomas C. Devin
9. William E. "Grumble" Jones
10. John B. McIntosh

Vote Here:

1. Robert H. G. Minty
2. John Buford
3. Wade Hampton
4. George A. Custer
5. Benjamin Grierson
6. William H. F. Lee
7. Wesley Merritt
8. Thomas C. Devin
10. John B. McIntosh
Hello Eric: Minty was a top-notch cavalry commander who deserved promotion but was denied one except by brevet (many officers considered to be worthless.) IIRC, he went on the blacklist of Edwin M. Stanton, didn't he?

Vote Here:
Hello Eric: Minty was a top-notch cavalry commander who deserved promotion but was denied one except by brevet (many officers considered to be worthless.) IIRC, he went on the blacklist of Edwin M. Stanton, didn't he?
Correct, which is why he never got promoted to brigadier general.

Vote Here:

1. Robert H. G. Minty
2. John Buford
3. Wade Hampton
4. George A. Custer
5. Benjamin Grierson
6. William H. F. Lee
7. Wesley Merritt
8. Thomas C. Devin
10. John B. McIntosh
Does Wilder come close? Or does he not fit the bill since he was technically infantry?

Vote Here:
Does Wilder come close? Or does he not fit the bill since he was technically infantry?
He doesn't qualify because he was infantry and not cavalry, and by the time his command was converted to cavalry, Wilder had already left the army due to medical disability.

Vote Here:
Back