NF Behind the Rifle Women Soldiers in Civil War Mississippi by Shelby Harriel

Non-Fiction

johan_steele

Regimental Armorer
Retired Moderator
I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of this fine work and am quite pleased. I have been a student of the American Civil War and history in general for nearly forty years and can say that only rarely have I found a work so engaging. Scholarly works are rarely so engaging and often dry enough to set on a bookshelf or worse be forgotten. Professor Harriel has created a book that I expect to reference more than a few times in the future.

Most importantly she has helped to keep these women from being merely a footnote in history; she has kept their memory and their stories alive.

This work contains a well set series of notes with a bibliography and index that makes further research easy to do. I look at this book not only as a scholarly reference but as a guide on how to present research in an easily read and referenced volume.

I found the conclusion excellent and rather telling: "War was the domain of men. Yet, women, too were behind the rifle. They, too, made the ultimate sacrifice for their respective causes and lie beneath headstones marked as unknowns. Consequently, the stories of these women warriors deserve to be told so that we may honor them..."

Bravo and well done.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1496822013/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of this fine work and am quite pleased. I have been a student of the American Civil War and history in general for nearly forty years and can say that only rarely have I found a work so engaging. Scholarly works are rarely so engaging and often dry enough to set on a bookshelf or worse be forgotten. Professor Harriel has created a book that I expect to reference more than a few times in the future.

Most importantly she has helped to keep these women from being merely a footnote in history; she has kept their memory and their stories alive.

This work contains a well set series of notes with a bibliography and index that makes further research easy to do. I look at this book not only as a scholarly reference but as a guide on how to present research in an easily read and referenced volume.

I found the conclusion excellent and rather telling: "War was the domain of men. Yet, women, too were behind the rifle. They, too, made the ultimate sacrifice for their respective causes and lie beneath headstones marked as unknowns. Consequently, the stories of these women warriors deserve to be told so that we may honor them..."

Bravo and well done.

Sounds like a good read. Thanks for sharing.

Bravo and well done.

Looks like an interesting read, but the price is too high for me. Prices were checked at Amazon and www.bookfinder.com. Might have my library get it through interlibrary loan.

Norm

That's awesome, thanks for the head's up! Like a lot of ' women in the war ' topics we tend to get a few who kinda serve to represent all of them. Female soldiers, nurses, spies, wives of military men. As terrific as it is knowing the famous names we'll probably never know all or how many- good to see an historian still digging. On The List!

Looks like an interesting read, but the price is too high for me. Prices were checked at Amazon and www.bookfinder.com. Might have my library get it through interlibrary loan.

Norm
I think it's running $16.99 at the moment for hard copy and I would expect you should be able to get it through inter library loan in fairly short order.

41Br-m8qQjL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Bravo and well done.

Thanks for this, I look forward to reading it.

Very interesting and such a seldom topic. Almost ingored? I will look this book out to learn more! Thanks so much for bring this to light, and give these brave women attention! Huzah!

Very interesting and such a seldom topic. Almost ingored? I will look this book out to learn more! Thanks so much for bring this to light, and give these brave women attention! Huzah!
Did King Minos have any warrior women?

Or did any women fight against the Ottoman Turks in the 1866 - 1869 "revolt?)

I'm waiting for the Savas Beattie book. Maybe the number of women getting involved in male reenacting impressions will stir more interest in this topic.

Back