Board Games Before computer games we had Avalon Hill Civil War board games.

Just for information, I have:

Campaign 1776
Campaign Antietam
Campaign Atlanta
Campaign Chancellorsville
Campaign Chickamauga
Campaign Gettysburg
Campaign Overland
Campaign Peninsula
Campaign Petersburg
Campaign Shenandoah
Campaign Shiloh
Korea '85
Panzer Battles Normandy
Panzer Campaign France '40
Squad Battles Advance of the Reich
Squad Battles First World War
Squad Battles Red Victory
Squad Battles The Proud and the Few

If you (or anyone) has any questions about any of these games, let me know.

Ryan
What’s your take on Korea? I have a version of Fulda Gap for iPad- but not too enthusiastic.
Maybe because the ACW is more basic warfare …… just seems more playable.

What’s your take on Korea? I have a version of Fulda Gap for iPad- but not too enthusiastic.
Maybe because the ACW is more basic warfare …… just seems more playable.
There is definitely a steeper learning curve than Civil War games. Coordinating air, artillery, amphibious, and infantry forces has a very different feel than anything that you'd find with less modern games. I do enjoy it but I understand it's probably not for everybody. It's similar to the Panzer Campaign games in regards to having a similar tactical level.

Ryan

What do you recommend for someone wanting a Civil War game but on a small scale (eg Gettysburg seems pretty vast what with so many Army Corps, etc)? I was thinking the Shenandoah Valley or maybe Corinth?

What do you recommend for someone wanting a Civil War game but on a small scale (eg Gettysburg seems pretty vast what with so many Army Corps, etc)? I was thinking the Shenandoah Valley or maybe Corinth?
The neat thing about the Tiller games is each title offers several scenarios- Including smaller historic engagements. These are maybe 10-15 turns.

For a large battle, you can fight the whole shebang- sometimes 100 turns. But they also dissect the battle into several smaller engagements. I just fought a Murphreesboro scenario that just covered Breckenridges’s assault on the final day.

I think they are really good……. And I can play alone.

Shenandoah is definitely smaller than Gettysburg or Chickamauga (which also covers Perryville and Stones River). I would also look at Shiloh.

Ryan

I have 11 of the Tiller/WDS games and they have many scenarios large campaigns and much smaller actions. Many also have lots of what if scenarios to help broaden the appeal to anyone who thinks that the commanders on the day got it wrong. I have also set the games up to play themselves with the AI in control to see what may have happened to historic events. Not as much fun as playing oneself but does give an idea of what decent tactics are.

Back