1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Announcement: Become a Patron of CivilWarTalk

Discussion in 'CWT Announcements' started by civilwartalk, Aug 13, 2014.

1. civilwartalk

civilwartalk Lieutenant General Owner & Webmaster

Since 1999, CivilWarTalk has been my obsession. It all started because I didn't think any of the forums at the time completely covered the topic, and I thought I could do a better job.

Thanks to some good timing, some luck, and a lot of hard work, CivilWarTalk has become quite a success, more so than I imagined possible back in 1999.

Over the years we've grown and it's become expensive to maintain this site. Not that I'm complaining, I've so far been able to offset the expenses of the web server, and all the software I use to create the site. I've used Google Ads in the past to cover those costs, along with many helpful donations from many of our members and guests.

Now however, I'm hoping to change how I've done things. In the past we've run a donation drive every December, and we've always been successful meeting our goals, and that was always a good shot in the arm to keep the site going. I want to get away from that.

I also know that many of you want to actively support our forum, so I've setup a way for members to help actively fund CivilWarTalk.

Become a Patron of CivilWarTalk

Moving forward from today, I'd like to offer all of our members the opportunity to become a Patron of CivilWarTalk. Instead of sending me a big lump donation once a year, please support the forum throughout the year using our Patron Upgrade system.

This new campaign functions like a monthly or yearly subscription, and will include various rewards depending on how much money you choose to give.

patron-upgrade.png
    Look for the Patron Upgrades Link in your Control Panel!​

CLICK HERE to become a Patron of CivilWarTalk, subscriptions start at $12 per year and $3 per month!

What are the Perks for those who Purchase a Patron Subscription?

It varies depending on how much money you choose to spend, but here are some of the perks available:
    • All Google Adsense Ads removed for an ad free browsing experience (All Patrons)
    • Get a CivilWarTalk Post Card in your mailbox
    • Get a CivilWarTalk email address for a year
    • Get a CivilWarTalk Coffee Mug
    • Get a CivilWarTalk Tote Bag
    Our Patrons will also get additional surprise perks throughout the year!

What will the Money be Used For????

Here is a list of things I'll be using this money for, and a bunch of goals with new things I'll be able to provide for CivilWarTalk if I get enough Patron contributions:
    • Domain registration
    • Web server hosting
    • Forum software and accessory add-on maintenance
    • Basic advertising of CivilWarTalk, signs, bookmarks
    • Miscellaneous expenses like gas to drive to battlefields
    • Maintenance of current equipment like my Cameras and PC
    • If I reach $100 per month:
      • Improve our Social Media updates with more photos and better news coverage
      • Guaranteed Prizes every month for the Trivia Game
      • Guaranteed Prizes every month for the Photo of the Month
    • If I reach $500 per month:
      • I'll be able to Purchase New Camera Equipment for Video and Still Photography
      • I'll stock up on Giveaways for In-Person Meetups
      • I want to do a video tour of at Battlefield at least once per month with a Guide
      • I want to do some documentary style videos on Reenacting and Skirmishing
    • If I reach $1000 per month:
      • Create a weekly news in review blog style post on CivilWarTalk
      • Attempt to create a monthly video news review on Civil War Topics
    • If I reach $2500 per month:
      • Switch to weekly video news reviews....
    • If I reach $5000 per month:
      • Remove all Google Ads from CivilWarTalk for everyone
    Please Note: If I reach a goal, and I'm able to do more for CivilWarTalk, these new features will be available to All visitors!

Donate to the Civil War Trust

In addition, starting today, when you see the word donation I want you to think about supporting the Civil War Trust. We don't yet have an official association with the Trust, nor do we yet have the donation widget that I've discussed in my SkirmishNotes podcast. However, I believe this is a charity that we as a community need to support.

In that spirit, this December we will still run a donation drive, but it will instead be for supporting the Civil War Trust!

For Those Who Need an Alternative...

Not a member? Would you still rather contribute to CivilWarTalk the old fashioned way? Although I'd like to encourage you to register as a member and become a Patron, you can still use this page:

JohnW., TFSmith121, War Horse and 3 others like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. 28thNewYork

28thNewYork First Sergeant Silver Patron

4. mphstteach

mphstteach Sergeant

Just signed up. Glad to become a helpful member. I encourage others to give if they can.

5. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

I will definitely become a patron, just give me two more weeks, I'll have to get home to Germany first.
    VERY good idea to handle it that way, especially the monthly/yearly options.
    I wish you the best of success!

chellers likes this.
  6. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

I'm in. Will be writing checks in about 2 weeks. One for the year.

chellers likes this.
  7. civilwartalk

Just an update on the Goals... In less than 24 hours we now have 14 Patrons, and we are receiving $38 per month, and that's not a bad start!

Even though we haven't met our goal of $100 yet, I'm planning to go to Gettysburg this weekend to get 12 prizes to cover the next 6 months of Trivia Games and Photo Contests.

8. mphstteach

mphstteach Sergeant

Sounds like some people are already stepping up! Wish I could have given more but economics wouldn't allow.

chellers likes this.
  9. Evan

Evan First Sergeant

Wow... this idea is amazing... I'm slowly being sucked into becoming a patron, it might just take some time! And prizes for Trivia!? My god... I need to step up my game in September.

chellers likes this.
  10. 28thNewYork

28thNewYork First Sergeant Silver Patron

$T2eC16hHJHcFFkSF+lV2BR8(!wrTFQ~~60_12.JPG CIVIL WAR TALK is a forum which I personally value. In an effort to support Mike's plan to make it even better, I will make the following offer to the next eight (8) people who become at least a SILVER PATRON (you have either contibuted or pledged a minimum of $240 for the year) BEFORE the end of August.

One (1) Don Troiani print (my choice) from the 1980 four print figure set "Civil War Soldiers. Series 1: Union Soldiers." The individual figures are of a Duryea Zouave, a Federal Cavalryman, a Federal Infantryman, and a Federal Heavy Artilleryman. These prints are done on what is described as heavy weight acid free paper and measure 8 x 10. Troiani was commissioned by a store owner in Darby, PA to produce these prints. Each will be shipped at my expense to you. I have two of each print and will honor requests for a specific one in the order in which they are received if at all possible.

To claim your print, e-mail me at cgcamann@comcast.net that you HAVE DONE one of the following:
    1) Sent Mike a check for at least $240 for the next year
    2) Sent Mike payment through PayPal for at least $240 for the next year
    3) Set up a PayPal Automatic Payment Profile of at least $20 per month (which means you have already sent the first monthly payment of a total of $240 for the next year)
    4) Sent Mike payment via Google Wallet for at least $240 for the year

I'll take your word that you have done one of the above. All prints will be mailed at the end of August. You have my word on that.

I encourage others to come up with their own means to support and further Mike's efforts.

@June 24, 2015--This offer has expired. Thanks to all who participated. -cgc-

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  11. FarawayFriend

I just went one step farther and had a look at the payment options. Unfortunately there is only PayPal right now. Last year I could pay by credit card and that would suit me so much more. The PayPal accounts were recently compromised in Germany and I have just canceled my account there.
    Could you offer credit card payment also? Paying by check or money transfer would cost a lot of banking fees. especially from abroad, so credit card would be far more preferable.
    Please keep my “mucket of coffee“ warm until then! :D

Edit: If monthly payment by credit card isn't feasible, maybe you could offer one or two more yearly options?

12. civilwartalk

As an alternative, you can use Google Wallet to send me a payment. I'll start a conversation with you to give you my email address.

https://wallet.google.com

FarawayFriend and 28thNewYork like this.
  13. FarawayFriend

I'll have a look.
    Never heard of Google Wallet before!
    Thank you!

14. C.S.M 1861

C.S.M 1861 Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I'm in the fold. Thanks Mike.

15. FarawayFriend

As promised, I'm also in now.
    (And now that this thread appears on the homepage again I hope that many others will follow!)

Any updates how many of us have become patrons yet, Mike?

chellers, 28thNewYork and nitrofd like this.
  16. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

he is out of town till sunday evening, but I will ask him to check when he gets home :D

FarawayFriend likes this.
  17. 101combatvet

101combatvet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

a happy farm in Maryland or a friendly Co-Op in NY
    Is it tax deductible?

18. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel Forum Host

I just made my yearly donation....

28thNewYork and FarawayFriend like this.
  19. ami

ami Major General Super Moderator

we are not a charity. this is a business. so that you would have to talk to your tax guy about.

20. randy596

randy596 Corporal

21. 101combatvet

101combatvet 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

a happy farm in Maryland or a friendly Co-Op in NY
    Okay, thanks.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)