Vicksburg NMP in February:

2017-02-10 10.15.22.jpg

Champion Hill in February:

2017-02-11 11.17.10.jpg

2017-02-11 10.59.23.jpg

Raymond Military Park in February:

2017-02-11 14.53.40.jpg

2017-02-11 15.48.09.jpg

I visited 9 National Cemeteries this year for the first time. In order...Port Hudson,Baton Rouge, Alexandria,LA, Vicksburg, Memphis, Corinth, Shiloh, Stones River, Little Rock.

I visited 5 Confederate Cemeteries for the first time this year. In order... Clinton Confederate Cemetery in Louisiana,CSA Soldiers Rest Cemetery in Vicksburg, Raymond Confederate Cemetery in Mississippi,Camp Moore Confederate Cemetery in Louisiana and Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery in Arkansas. Went to Clinton and Soldiers Rest twice.

5 more memories from 2017 to post. 4 were memorable largely because they were unscripted. The first was in February during my first ever visit to Vicksburg. The 3rd day there was set aside for Champion Hill and Raymond. When I finished there,it was about 3:30 in the afternoon and sunset was about 5:30. I had thought Champion Hill and Raymond would take all day. I decided on the fly to make a run to Port Gibson not knowing what I was gonna do when I got there. I ended up taking a chest-thumping trip on the old Rodney Road(didn't know it at the time) to the Shaifer House(didn't even know what it was until I got there). :D Quite a thrill. Posted about it on pages 13 and 14 of my thread of the trip:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/heading-to-vicksburg-tomorrow.131320/page-13

Edit to add: Member @alan polk was my tour guide for the afternoon from his hospital bed. :D

Last edited:
The next one was at Port Hudson in late March. I had gone there for the first time in January but I went back in March to attend the annual reenactment there. That was the first reenactment I ever went to. I had also bought the Blue & Gray Magazine issue on Port Hudson after the first visit. I took it with me in March and did the B&G tour of the Port Hudson sites not on the grounds of Port Hudson State Historic Site. It was another chest justa thumping afternoon. Posted about it here:

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/some-places-in-louisiana.132740/page-2

The third one was in Pulaski,TN in June. It was unscripted and unplanned and there was no way we coulda planned it. What started out as a visit to the Giles County Visitor Center ended up as a private tour in the Sam Davis Memorial Museum. Neither myself nor my traveling partner on this trip even knew it was there. It is literally a one room museum and it is the smallest public museum in the state of Tennessee. Posted about it on pages 6 and 7 of my thread about that trip. Hope to make it back to Pulaski some day. We couldn't find one of the sites we were looking for there and another museum we went to briefly deserves more time.

https://civilwartalk.com/threads/and-on-the-9th-day-they-traveled.135656/page-6

2017-06-05 12.45.58.jpg

Back