Bayonet for Pedersoli's 1861 Springfield?

Jagick

Cadet
I definitely plan to invest in a quality made Italian bayonet, likely made from spring steel as opposed to carbon steel like most India reproductions. The question is does anyone know of any 1861 bayonets that would fit Pedersoli's 1861 springfield "out of the box?"

If not, could anyone give me some tips as to how I can go about getting said bayonet properly sized to fit the musket?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Dear jagick:

If the bayonet does not fit, you can send it back to DGW for a full refund OR...... If it is a tad to small to go on the end of your barrel, you could always head down to your local hardware store and pick up a wood dowel that is slightly LESS DIAMETER than the outside diameter of your barrel at the muzzle.

Then get some rough black Emery Paper while you are at the hardware store and then some finer, say 350 Grit. Then saw off about a foot of the dowel rod, wrap the rough Emery Paper around that section of dowel rod and start "sanding" out the interior of the bayonet socket to enlarge it so it fits the barrel of your Springfield.

After you have got it "sanded out" then smooth the interior of the socket with the 350 Grit.

A reproduction bayonet, especially one made in India, is impossible to predict in terms of fit to any individual rifle musket muzzle. The variation in socket diameter is too great. You really need to bring the rifle-musket to an event and try different bayonets until you find one that fits it.

Or you can take your chances buying by mail and if too small, use a circular file to widen the socket until it fits properly. I have done both.

Back