Battles And Bunnies And Eggs, Oh My! Easter's Confusing War

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
easter2.jpg

Happy first Sunday after the first full moon, after the Spring equinox! Memorized in catechism class- ' When is Easter Sunday? "

Well, discovered quite a few things about ' era Easter ', meaning 1861-1865. No one seemed quite sure what, exactly, to do about it?

Predictably, yes, Easter Sunday celebrations in church. An improbable ball held. An awful lot of news articles on " The History of Easter "., which sure varies. Easter cards were not really ' yet ;- Victorian chickies and bunnies and flower laden bird's nests, a little later. Colored eggs? Sometimes but not he garish displays in glitter and tie dye we see later.

And an op to bemoan ' war ' associated with killing anyone on a Sunday, much less Easter Sunday! 1863

easter 1861 papr 1st half.jpg

This pious writer is still mad over The Battle of Towton, in what, 1461?

easter 1861 papr 2nd half.jpg

Someone did some excellent era research- and we know how many famous battles were Easter- or at least, Sunday! from an 1861 newspaper.

By 1864, reporters were still digging for an Easter theme, dampening the festivities with a swipe at egg prices.
easter eggs 1863.jpg

Whether this next was an Easter accident, published near the holiday or just so remarkable someone had to stick it in a newspaper, is anyone's guess.
easter eggs ton1864.JPG

How awesome is that? By steamer, however, no bunny.

' Bunnies ' do not seem to make an appearance, unless you count this gem from Stone's River, 1863. They were still ' rabbits '.
rabbits 1863.JPG

But- getting very close! Around this time rabbits in general enjoyed quite a bit of popularity. Not an Easter illustration, just a favored image, for no particular reason.
rabbit.JPG

Cute, no basket of eggs and still just a rabbit.

There is a vast amount of History printed- some just so wonderful you have to share. It was, in the Olde Country, a traditional, well, game? I'm positive it did not catch on, much less was still practiced. I say we bring this one back!
easter game.JPG

Heaving? Wait.
easter lift.JPG

Beyond eggs, ham and a big bunny irresponsibly dripping chocolate, we still have few traditions 150 years after this was printed. Seems like one we should explore?

And sorry Donna? Easter Cakes, not era but much read about from Ye Olden Times. Oh I forgot- Handball, the real thing, was for some reason a HUGE hit, centuries past. Who knew?

easter cakes.JPG

easter cakes2.JPG

But. despite having jettisoned these ancient traditions, all with roots so deeply sunk in Time, era historians dismissed them as ' Pagan ' ( and really were not- ' Spring ' became all mixed up, delightfully, with the Resurrection and new beginnings. ) , through these awful years of war, " Easter " seems a deeper event for many. A little later, Louise Prang came up with the best image, albeit slightly post war.

Easter is a religious holiday so please excuse- but faith in this Resurrection - new life got an awful lot of Americans through shattering years, both personally and for our country. If we hadn't quite gotten to the gooey stuff, ( and no expert here ) the war drove faithful roots ever more deeply- and we just, plain had to believe. Not in the bunny, but in Hope.

easter prang.jpg

Prang's message, just Hope, in a time of war.

Happy Hope, everyone, at Easter.

Attachments

• easter eggs2.JPG
    easter eggs2.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 112
Happy Easter to All !!!

C0858777-8B82-4EA4-8BF3-E5DC65959C68.jpeg

Title
Easter / Frank A. Nankivell.
Summary
Special Easter edition cover, in a very art nouveau style, shows a woman performing a magic trick by making Easter eggs and other prizes flow from a piece of paper rolled up like a cone; also a young girl with angel wings is holding an Easter egg and a rabbit.
Contributor Names
Nankivell, Frank A. (Frank Arthur), 1869-1959, artist
Created / Published
N.Y. : J. Ottmann Lith. Co., Puck Bldg., 1900 April 18.

Source: L.O.C.

A little more about Easter.........Bunnies..........and Eggs

872B16BF-264D-4655-9259-5C3EB0E448DD.jpeg

Title
Egg rolling at the White House
Contributor Names
Coffin, George Yost, 1850-1896, artist
Created / Published
1896 April 6.

Starting in 1835, Jacob Grimm and other writers proposed that the pre-Christian Saxonshad a spring goddess, Eostre, whose feast was held on the Vernal Equinox, around 21 March. Grimm also suggested that her symbolic animal was "probably" the spring hare, and that the egg symbolized the rebirth of the land in spring.

Some claim that Pope Gregory the Great had ordered his missionaries to use old religious sites and festivals in order to absorb them into Christian rituals wherever possible. According to Grimm and his followers, the Christian celebration of the Resurrection of Christwas ideally suited to be merged with the Pagan feast of Ēostre and many of those pagan traditions were adopted into the Christian festivities.[1] In England, Germany, and other countries, children traditionally rolled eggs down hillsides at Ēostre festivities. After mergers of celebrations, this may have become symbolic of the rolling away of the rock from Jesus Christ’s tomb before his resurrection.[2] This tradition, along with others, such as what had become the Easter Bunny, were taken to the New World by European settlers.[

One of the reasons that early Christians chose to celebrate certain holidays in conjunction with pagan or jewish holidays is that it kept them hidden from persecution. It was very dangerous to be a follower of Christ in the beginnings of the faith. And yes, in the formation of the early church, efforts were made to include as much “native” tradition as possible. I’m glad, we are richer for it.

Toughest part of Easter is hiding the eggs from the grandkids then trying to remember where I put them! I swear those eggs have legs and are sneaky at hiding!!
Still the best Holiday of the year with the Lord's ascension being celebrated.
Happy Easter to all.
Regards
David

I swear they might as well make up a bunk for us in the chior loft. Wednesday was Tenebrae..night of shadows..it has begun, the great forshadowing...then Holy Thursday, the Last Supper, Good Friday. Why Good? The Great Prophecy is fulfilled. Then Saturday, the day of waiting..Vigil Mass which is now held at 8:00 p.m. instead of extending into the wee hours of the morning..Easter Sunday..I’m going to wear my Easter Hat!

Aww lovely post .. we had a gorgeous full moon last night that was orange .. I did try taking a photo off it but couldn’t quite get it to focus enough as was on the way to work so only had my phone with me!

It’s getting exciting times with Easter tomorrow and tonight once the kids are in bed and I’ve finished work, I will be decorating up the place, hiding eggs and sorting everything ready for the morning! They all have their eggs with their names on.. it’s a mission when there’s 7 of them (Daves included haha as he ha one with his name on too!) :bounce:

Hope everyone here has an amazing Easter and get to spend some time with loved ones

I swear they might as well make up a bunk for us in the chior loft. Wednesday was Tenebrae..night of shadows..it has begun, the great forshadowing...then Holy Thursday, the Last Supper, Good Friday. Why Good? The Great Prophecy is fulfilled. Then Saturday, the day of waiting..Vigil Mass which is now held at 8:00 p.m. instead of extending into the wee hours of the morning..Easter Sunday..I’m going to wear my Easter Hat!

I've always wondered about why ' Good ', on Friday- if Dad were still around he'd disown me. I know I know this- and..... poof it's gone. Too many vinegar fumes!

I hope it's a lovely service with a sea of hats!

Back