Battlefield Visit Shiloh Or Chickamauga?

Americanfighter

Private
I am planning a trip to a battlefield in the next few weeks the two place I am looking at Shiloh or chickamauga Have any of you been to those battlefields or know anything about them and has an oppinion on which is the best to go to?

Yes, multiple times.

Give yourself as much time as possible with each. If you are doing any kind of research or have a goal in mind it is better to have some plan before arriving at each. Both sell a map of monuments and markers in the book store and at the museum. These are the most help if you have a plan to follow specific aspects of the fighting and are about $20. They are sturdy maps and will allow you to track down units and find where they stood. I'd recommend that for each park.

Chickamauga is vast, and you can spend the better part of the day just trooping around from parking spot to parking spot locating markers and monuments, so one day at either is really not enough to see everything.

my vote is for chickamauga as it is vast ad has more markers and monuments then any other site except maybe gettsburg.on the plus side also you get to go to chattanooga.multiple days is advised for this trip.either way go and enjoy yourself,it will be rewarding.

Yes, multiple times.

Give yourself as much time as possible with each. If you are doing any kind of research or have a goal in mind it is better to have some plan before arriving at each. Both sell a map of monuments and markers in the book store and at the museum. These are the most help if you have a plan to follow specific aspects of the fighting and are about $20. They are sturdy maps and will allow you to track down units and find where they stood. I'd recommend that for each park.

Chickamauga is vast, and you can spend the better part of the day just trooping around from parking spot to parking spot locating markers and monuments, so one day at either is really not enough to see everything.

thanks yeah we are planning 3 to 5 days I have been reading a lot about both and Chattanooga too. I already have some idea of what i want to see. Probably know a little more about shiloh. I have really wanted to see the hornets nest for a while but I have been toying with the idea of going to chickamagua lately

Chattanooga is mostly built up now, Missionary Ridge has been taken over by housing, so there are little pockets of monuments the NPS calls reserves where monuments are and the drive up to Lookout Mountain is nice, there are also little pockets of monuments there so be prepared to get out and pull over at a moments notice (a small, one lane road snakes its way up the mountain and is really narrow).

There's also a nice little resting stop where the famous rock outcroppings are from period images dedicated to the photographer who took most of them if you decide to add Chattanooga to your wanderings.

since you have never been there i would recommend taking the train to the top.i think they charge $14.00 now for the round trip.its worth it for your first time.another advantage you are only an hour away from kennesaw mountain which is pretty cool also. this way you can see why one frontal assault succeeded and the other one didn't.you also have the "General locomotive museum inmarrietta which is a nice place.learn about Andrews raid and the great locomotive chase.

I guess its worth asking but I had a stroke a little under a year ago do either of them have really rough terrain? My left foot still isn't up to par yet

Not really, unless you go into the woods to track down monuments, there's probably more along walking trails at Chickamauga than at Shiloh. There are a lot of flat and paved driving areas that are pretty flat with an easy walk to where the monuments rae.

use your car to go up snodgrass hill as it is a bit steep.the climb might be a little hard but there is pavement.where longstreet came out of the woods on the second day might be a little hard to get to but there is a trail there.lookout mountain would be no problem as everything is paved or the trail is very good for walking.kennesaw you would use your car to get to the top.
you should lookup a web site which i believe is called North Georgia Trail which will give all the info you might to see all the ACW sites as there are many to see.some are not worth spending much time but the rest sre all worth your while.where ever you go you'll have a great time.

I guess its worth asking but I had a stroke a little under a year ago do either of them have really rough terrain? My left foot still isn't up to par yet
You can choose to drive over rough areas to get to flat areas. There a great many pull-offs Where can stop and read-up on who was there

And do get a Trailhead Map. If you are looking for a specific location, it's fairly easy to find it Google Trailhead Graphic, Inc. in Aurora, CO. They'll have a supply at Shiloh, but if you have time, you can mail order one to give you time to familiarize yourself with it.

The closest place to stay is Savanna, the second closest is Selmer, and the third closest is Corinth.

Plus there are a ton of places outside the park if you have the time ..... Brown's Ferry, Ringold Gap, McLemore's Cove area, Resaca and other spots on the way to Atlanta aren't even that far.

Shiloh is a great place, but it's kinda out of the way. You can drive down to Corinth and see some original works that are preserved.

BUT...Chickamauga does hold a lot in the Park, and outside the Park as far as many others sites in the area. Lookout Mountain is easily accessible, and what a view! (See attached photo of me on top looking at Chattanooga)
Missionary Ridge can be tricky to get onto IF you don't know the route, but all kinds of stops along that drive, culminating where Sherman and Cleburne's boys met. It sure gives you the idea of the distance the confederates covered in trying to hold Missionary ridge, and you can see Lookout Mountain way off in the distance there.

Much more happened in the Chick/Chatt area, a lot of history there!

Kevin Dally
Lookout mountain view.jpg

I haven't yet been to Shiloh so I can't compare the two, but I spent a couple of days at Chickamauga, really enjoyed my visit, and highly recommend that battlefield to anyone. Plus, if you've seen all you want at Chickamauga and Chattanooga, Stones River (Murfreesboro) is less than 2 hours away and could be fully toured in a day.

Ultimately, I think that you'll have a great visit at whichever one you choose.

I agree with ExNavyPilot, I really don't think you can go wrong with either park. It probably comes down to deciding which one feels like it draws you to it the most.

I think the two parks have a similar feel about them, or at least it seems that way to me. Shiloh is probably a little more isolated, but maybe not by a lot. There's more war-related history to see around Chattanooga than Shiloh, although the area around Shiloh has some other interesting history of its own to check out. And you'd want to get down to Corinth as well, if you visit Shiloh.

As others have said, Lookout Mountain is a can't-miss visit if you go with Chickamauga. I pretty much got hooked on the war at Point Park, so it has a special place for me. But really, either park is going to be a good choice.

You mentioned being interested in the Hornet's Nest at Shiloh. It's a pretty easy walk along the Sunken Road through the woods there, around half-a-mile one-way. The ground is fairly level for the most part. And you can also, if you wish, walk along the Eastern Corinth Road through that area, re-tracing the Confederate advance toward the Sunken Road Line. A lot more to see of the park outside this area of course, but I understand the special draw it can have for people.

Enjoy your visit, whichever park you choose. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Perry

I went to Shiloh and Vicksburg last year. I haven't been to Chickamauga yet...it's on my list. I really enjoyed both Shiloh and Vicksburg. As mentioned in one of the other posts, Shiloh is a little isolated. I stayed at a Hampton in located about 7-10 miles from the battlefield.

Because of the back and forth nature of the battle, the layout of the monuments etc. can be a bit confusing. I recommend getting the audio CD and follow it the first time through. The ground is relatively flat and easy to navigate.

I am sure you will enjoy either place.

Kent

As I'm partial to Shiloh, if I had to choose I'd take the extra trip to Shiloh, TN. It's not as exposed to heavy traffic and is a little easier to take in being on smaller acerage - especially if you're physically limited.

Personally, I like Shiloh better than Chickamauga, but part of that is because I have ancestors that fought at Shiloh. I also love sitting and watching for Hiram and Julia with the extremely friendly locals who spend hours a day on Bald Eagle watch.

I have used personal guides at both sites and would recommend the my guide at Chickamauga without hesitation. He called before my scheduled trip to ask me if I had specific things I was interested in or units I wanted to follow, then gave me a wonderful 6 hour tour. I don't know if I can post the information here, but try Googling Chickamauga Battlefield tour guide for the information.

And I second Nitrofd about taking the incline to the top of Lookout Mountain. It is a very scenic way to the top and once there, Point Park (NPS site) is only a few blocks away (down a street lines with lovely homes).

Back