Battle of Townsend's Plantation 2019

captaindrew

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
Silver Patron
We have another nice event coming up down here in Florida. The Battle of Townsend's Plantation, Feb. 1-3, behind Renninger's Flea Market, 20651 US Hwy 441 Mt. Dora Fl. Mt. Dora is located a little northwest of Orlando. It's a small event but a very fun one, one of our favorites, and the flea market is pretty cool too and lots of good grub. If anyone is in the Central Florida area next weekend stop by and see us. For more info you can always ask me or go to http://townsendfirm.com/plantation.htm

Wish I could make it as when I was stationed at Camp Blanding we went at least once a month to the Renningers. Does the train still run?

Wish I could make it as when I was stationed at Camp Blanding we went at least once a month to the Renningers. Does the train still run?
No train. They had the steam train running out of Traveres for a while and we did an event over there for a few years involving the train but the train went out of business a couple years ago.

I'm considering a trip to Orlando next January and could pencil in a day at Townsend Plantation to see the reenactment. Of course, that's still a year ahead, but time as is known flies. I can never start too early with planning vacation. :wink:

Is the reeneactment always held the first weekend in February or sometimes at the end of January too, do you know? Do you have an estimate when the dates will be finalized?

I'm considering a trip to Orlando next January and could pencil in a day at Townsend Plantation to see the reenactment. Of course, that's still a year ahead, but time as is known flies. I can never start too early with planning vacation. :wink:

Is the reeneactment always held the first weekend in February or sometimes at the end of January too, do you know? Do you have an estimate when the dates will be finalized?
Yes, at least the last few years the schedule has been the same. Here's a link to our Florida schedule. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XUQPt-5Yt2QE8W2MJg7lSsWucPeO-3gw/view The new schedule usually comes out in early summer. Depending when you come you may be able to catch Brooksville which is usually the 3rd weekend of January, Townsend which is the 1st weekend of February, or Olustee which is the 3rd weekend of February. Townsend is the closest to Orlando, about 30 minutes, and Brooksville is about a hour from Orlando. Olustee is about 2 hours from Orlando but it is our largest and in my opinion best event down here and it's on the actual battlefield which is really cool. Townsend is one of our smaller events but it's a fun one and very close to Orlando where you're going to be.

@ucvrelics ,while at the event over the weekend I was hearing train horns all weekend and looked it up when I got home and they do indeed have a train running again between Trevares and Mount Dora. Didn't want to give you bad info. There hadn't been for a couple years after the last operation was running there went of business.

Back