Miniatures Diorama Battle of the Wilderness Diorama.

My first attempt at building a diorama was approx 15 years ago when I found a tree root whilst digging in the garden. I thought at the time it looked like a miniature tree and after just finishing a book about the battle of the wilderness I decided to build a diorama around it.
I set myself a challenge of building from scratch 4 figures in different poses, paint them and try my hand at groundwork.

I also like your use of a "found" object -- good eye, spotting that root and seeing it as an element of a diorama.

Looking at this tableau again, I also think you did a great job showing this small scene as part of a greater field of action. The characters are directing their sight and their weapons toward the enemy, although unseen for us.

Well done, in so many ways!

Roy B.

My first attempt at building a diorama was approx 15 years ago when I found a tree root whilst digging in the garden. I thought at the time it looked like a miniature tree and after just finishing a book about the battle of the wilderness I decided to build a diorama around it.
I set myself a challenge of building from scratch 4 figures in different poses, paint them and try my hand at groundwork.
View attachment 342349
View attachment 342350
View attachment 342351
View attachment 342352
View attachment 342353
I add my compliments on this wonderful work!!

I started off bending some wire into a rough pose , I then built the body and limbs on it using Milliput (a plumbers putty) which is a 2 part putty which when mixed together will harden. This was 15 years ago and I now use a product called Magic-Sculpt .
Only now have I understood that you sculpted the figures yourself - and my admiration, that was great enough after looking at the first photos, soared!!
Why did it take you so long to show us??
You are a Michelangelo!!

Last edited:
View attachment 342349
View attachment 342350
View attachment 342351
View attachment 342352
View attachment 342353
That is very impressive.

View attachment 342349
View attachment 342350
View attachment 342351
View attachment 342352
View attachment 342353
Very nice work. Little things like the patchwork quilt bedroll, the sharpshooter's rifle and the partially scorched tree when viewed in whole adds so much to the work. I could probably look at this for the next five days and find something new. Congratulations!

I may have missed this from earlier posts, but how did you make the flag?

Regards.

FPT

Rebel Brit may have missed your question, so I'll ask him as I'd like to know also.
How did you make the flag @rebel brit?

@FPT in answer to the above question, I used 0.0005" sheet copper which is very flexible, so that I could cut to size and bend it around a pencil to get the folds where I wanted them. The hardest part was painting it which I might add was done before folding.

Back