1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Battle of the Bulge photos

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by frontrank2, Dec 14, 2013.

1. frontrank2

frontrank2 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

December 16 is the anniversary of that battle. I would like to post a few photos from it, many have not been seen by many. If you have seen them, they might be worth taking a second look.
    image012.jpg

Chow time in the Ardennes Forest, it doesn't look like any hot food. :hungry:

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. frontrank2

A wounded medic.
    image061.jpg
    Returning the favor - a wounded American medic is helped to an aid station during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944.

4. Henry Whitworth

Henry Whitworth Sergeant

I'm in the middle of Guns at Last Light, the last of Rick Atkinson's trilogy. I'm just coming to the German offensive. Thanks for the photos. It's particularly chilling to see these things as these guys have been on my mind.

theoldman, Lee and frontrank2 like this.
  5. IcarusPhoenix

IcarusPhoenix Sergeant Major

It's not out of the realm of possibility that the nurse who examined that medic was my grandmother. She never fully recovered from what Bastogne did to her and most of the others who were there.

Diana9, randy596, donna and 5 others like this.
  6. frontrank2

image062.jpg An American soldier with an M1 81mm mortar listens for fire direction on a field phone during the German Ardennes offensive. December 1944. He looks like he could be from Bill Mauldin's Willie and Joe!

7. Union_Buff

Union_Buff Captain

Thanks for posting! The miniseries Band of Brothers is where I first got interested in the Battle of the Bulge :smile:

frontrank2, theoldman and Lee like this.
  8. frontrank2

American soldiers taking a break in Malmedy.
    image063.jpg

9. frontrank2

Pfc. Frank Vukasin of the 331st Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division, reloads his M1 near Houffalize, Belgium. January 15, 1945

image064.jpg

Notice how calmly he is reloading, indifferent to the fallen enemy nearby.

10. Custers Luck

Custers Luck Sergeant Major

thanks for sharing these.

frontrank2 likes this.
  11. frontrank2

During the Battle of the Bulge (Dec 1944), allied soldiers decorated their helmets with lace curtains, after realizing it provided excellent camouflage in the snow.

image065.jpg

I know an old vet who told me the Belgian locals pulled the white sheets off their beds to give to the GIs as camo. He also said that the SS units with their white winter uniforms were very tough to see, it was like trying to fight against ghosts.

12. frontrank2

image066.jpg

American soldiers in the Ardennes are taking a moment away from the rigors of combat to relax. One of the standing soldiers is holding a 2.36 inch (60mm) Rocket Launcher M1. The jeep has snow chains on for better traction and looks to have a parachute on its hood. I guess the parachute was for snow camo?

13. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

I never will forget hearing my Uncle finally start telling my Dad bits about the Battle of Bulge. As with most combat veterans, he very rarely spoke of his experiences. My Uncle shared that he had shot & killed a German soldier charging his foxhole, the soldier's forward motion carried the body into the foxhole. What really got to my Uncle, was the soldier he had shot was no older than 15 or 16. I never heard him say anything else about World War II after that night.

14. adisciu9

adisciu9 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Thanks for sharing. My father fought in the battle and never spoke about it.

15. IcarusPhoenix

IcarusPhoenix Sergeant Major

My grandmother never spoke of it to us; it was after her death that my grandfather finally explained where the family Mauser came from; she took it from a German paratrooper she killed after he came into her hospital tent to eliminate her patients.

16. frontrank2

WOW.... that is really something!

theoldman likes this.
  17. frontrank2

The young soldier might have been from the 12th SS who were comprised of former Hitler Youth. They were at the Bulge.

18. frontrank2

image067.jpg

Bundled-up G.I. with a water-cooled machine gun somewhere in the Ardennes forest.

19. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Lt. Colonel Forum Host

Yeah, I've often wondered about that.

shanniereb likes this.
  20. Stony

Stony 1st Lieutenant Trivia Game Winner

Awesome thread. Keep it going.

21. Lee

Lee Colonel

Daddy landed at Omaha and said the fighting through the hedgerow country was vicious and costly. He told me it would surprise most folks what a soldier could endure and get used to. Death was almost a daily experience and one actually got used to seeing dead enemy and Allied soldiers. They valued clean socks and would take them off the bodies of fallen friendly or enemy soldiers. Daddy told me most of the combat related stuff about the war the last year of his life when he was dying. What he really liked talking about was when they would get hot chow after being engaged for long periods and when they pulled them off the line to get hot showers he made it sound like the greatest relief a combat soldier could enjoy next to hearing the war was over.

Seth VA/NC, gary, randy596 and 11 others like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)