Battle Of Sayler's Creek - The Army of Northern Virginia's Last Hurrah

Jimklag

Lt. Colonel
Battle of Sayler's (Sailor's) Creek near Farmville, Virginia during the retreat to Appomattox. The last hurrah of the Army of Northern Virginia. Painting Victory Or Death by Keith Rocco.
saylers1.jpg
saylers2.jpg
saylers3.jpg
victory-or-death-at-sailors_0.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a source on General Ewell and whether he really did express the opinion that continued fighting would be no better than murder? Because Ewell had let Grant visit White Haven before leaving for Louisiana. :grant:

Everytime I read your threads I think of the Professor from Georgia who put together a month by month book of maps showing the back and forth struggle over the middle south states and the entire theater of operations. It was very strong on the Indian territory and the far west.

Title:
Atlas of the Civil War, month by month : major battles and troop movements / Mark Swanson ; maps by Mark Swanson, with Jacqueline D. Langley.

It was a great concept, but a little more production could have helped.

Do you have a source on General Ewell and whether he really did express the opinion that continued fighting would be no better than murder? Because Ewell had let Grant visit White Haven before leaving for Louisiana. :grant:
If Ewell said that, it had to be to the Yankees because he was among the captured at Sayler's Creek.

Back around 1990 we did a reenactment at that site. What surprised me was how steep the embankments of that small stream were. After the embankment had been churned into a muddy mass by the first 100 guys or so it was really hard to get out of that creek bed.

I got to Sailors/Saylers Creek later then I expected on Sunday so I was fighting the late afternoon and impending storms from the west. Sailors/Saylers is used interchangably. The road is Saylers and the old roadside signs that the state put up decades ago say Saylers, but the state park and all current signage says Sailors. There are 3 walking trails in the vicinity of the visitors center. There is a driving tour that takes you to the different areas that fighting took place. I didn't get to do all the trails due to time constraints but since I live about 45 minutes away I plan to go back. I loved seeing this sign to start. They are trying to restore the battlefield to what it looked like in April 1865.

Also, if you have never been there, you may just look at a map and go oh well it's in the middle of VA it's flat. Wrong wrong and wrong. Very hilly. Remember as you progress west in Virginia the land starts to get more rolling as you approach the Blue Ridge. This is accentuated by the several creeks in the battlefield and surrounding area.

20180624_154000.jpg

Last edited:
If my pictures don't show up will someone tell me cause I cannot see them but when i go to edit i see them. I'm terrible at this.

Back