gentlemanrob

Major
News articles from the year 1862 in regards to the Battle of Pea Ridge

Pea Ridge 2.jpg

Pea Ridge 3.jpg

Pea Ridge 4.jpg

Pea Ridge 1.jpg

Last edited:
One of the great "what ifs" I've often wondered about is "what if" Van Dorn had regrouped his army following Pea Ridge and actually made it across the Mississippi and joined Johnston at Corinth prior to Shiloh? 15,000 tough Trans-Mississippi troops added to the 44,000 he marched into Tennessee with might just have tipped the balance in his favor. It is included as as option in the old SPI TSS-based game: Shiloh: Bloody April, but honestly, I never played the option enough to convince me one way or another...

Great article about a forgotten battle! Sadly because Pea Ridge is so far away from most major routes, this beautiful Park is seldom visited. Major events occurred during this battle and the political fate of Missouri was affected by the outcome of this fight.
As an aside the foliage is gorgeous in October in this NW section of Arkansas!
Regards
David

Great collection of articles. I recently had to do some reading up on McCulloch because of debate about what he was wearing with an old friend. Some sources say he was in a "magnificent black uniform" others that he hated uniforms and wore a black suit. A picture supposed to be his staff after Elkhorn Tavern didn't help at all. They were dressed in both plus more!

Ben McCulloch staff after Pea Ridge.jpg

I need to pick of William Shea's book on Pea Ridge.

Great article about a forgotten battle! Sadly because Pea Ridge is so far away from most major routes, this beautiful Park is seldom visited. Major events occurred during this battle and the political fate of Missouri was affected by the outcome of this fight.
As an aside the foliage is gorgeous in October in this NW section of Arkansas!
Regards
David

Why you think I've advocated so much for a CWT Muster there? Besides the area has had hands down the most accelerated urban growth of anywhere in Arkansas for the past few years.

Not enough people appreciate the great CW treasures the Trans-Mississippi has.

One of the great "what ifs" I've often wondered about is "what if" Van Dorn had regrouped his army following Pea Ridge and actually made it across the Mississippi and joined Johnston at Corinth prior to Shiloh? 15,000 tough Trans-Mississippi troops added to the 44,000 he marched into Tennessee with might just have tipped the balance in his favor. It is included as as option in the old SPI TSS-based game: Shiloh: Bloody April, but honestly, I never played the option enough to convince me one way or another...

I don't think it would've happened due to Van Dorn's incompetence, combined with Price's. He really would've been better service staying in Arkansas. It was downright criminal the way he left Arkansas completely undefended and almost caused Arkansas to secede from the CSA, because of his stripping all troops and all supplies leaving the State on its own, without even its own troops, while it was being invaded by Union armies.

Van Dorn leaving also left the Trans-Mississippi without any of its depots in Arkansas at a critical time, as Van Dorn's leaving resulted in them being shut down cause he wrecked them. Thousands of freshly raised Texas troops bound for the Western Theater had to be diverted to defend Arkansas, with almost no artillery. Van Dorn's actions probably cost the Confederacy in both the Western and Trans-Mississippi theaters. Considering how close Hindman came to a big win after he fixed the wreck Van Dorn left in Arkansas as best as possible, combined with the likewise criminal under-supply of the Union forces, the Confederacy's only chance at taking St. Louis and establishing a strong claim to Missouri was lost by Van Dorn's going East of the river.

Last edited:
Back