Battle of New Market, Virginia Reenactment.

Virginia Dave

First Sergeant
Forum Host
Attached are a few photos of this past weekends event in New Market. As you probably recall this is the battle on which the movie "Field of Lost Shoes" was based.

DSC_4570.jpg

DSC_4569 - Copy.jpg

DSC_4600.jpg

DSC_4612.jpg

DSC_4617.jpg

DSC_4623.jpg

DSC_4636.jpg

DSC_4639.jpg

DSC_4645.jpg

DSC_4648.jpg

DSC_4649.jpg

DSC_4651.jpg

DSC_4654.jpg

DSC_4658.jpg

DSC_4659.jpg

DSC_4672.jpg

DSC_4680.jpg

DSC_4682.jpg

DSC_4684.jpg

DSC_4687.jpg

DSC_4688.jpg

DSC_4690.jpg

DSC_4703.jpg

DSC_4706.jpg

Great pictures! Love the cavalry pics. (Though the pics with the metal horsepower in the background are a bit off-period. :wink:)

Looks like you had a good turnout. :smile: The weather seems to have cooperated nicely with the event.

Where there any VMI cadet reenactors?
Great pictures! Love the cavalry pics. (Though the pics with the metal horsepower in the background are a bit off-period. :wink:)

Looks like you had a good turnout. :smile: The weather seems to have cooperated nicely with the event.

Where there any VMI cadet reenactors?
Yes it was a difficult angle to shoot from. The interstate on one side and the parking lots and spectators on the other. It was 92 degrees and a lot of ambulance calls during the event.

As long as you don't look too closely at all the fat old men (like ME!) in the photos, they look good - I'm glad to see that after the fiasco last fall at Cedar Creek a reenactment in the Valley appears to have been a success. (Although it looks as usual like the Federals were "only" outnumbered 3-4 to 1!)

Yes it was a difficult angle to shoot from. The interstate on one side and the parking lots and spectators on the other. It was 92 degrees and a lot of ambulance calls during the event.
I was at the event on Saturday. The reenactment was cut short because most participants said it was too hot. The reenactment never made it to the second spectator area and up the small rise. It seemed like the battle reenactment that took place on the first spectator area around the Bushong Farm was way too long. Almost one hour I would guess. It seemed like the reenactors were mainly focused on reenacting the battle around the house. They should have spent 1/2 hour reenacting the battle around the farm and outbuildings. The second 1/2 hour should have been reenacted in the second spectator area. Another suggestion would for the reenactors to start hydrating a few days before the actual reenactment.

I was at the event on Saturday. The reenactment was cut short because most participants said it was too hot. The reenactment never made it to the second spectator area and up the small rise. It seemed like the battle reenactment that took place on the first spectator area around the Bushong Farm was way too long. Almost one hour I would guess. It seemed like the reenactors were mainly focused on reenacting the battle around the house. They should have spent 1/2 hour reenacting the battle around the farm and outbuildings. The second 1/2 hour should have been reenacted in the second spectator area. Another suggestion would for the reenactors to start hydrating a few days before the actual reenactment.
The organizers didn't do a great job with the battle plans. Also, there were numerous delays due to heat exhaustion and individuals having to be evacuated.

Back