Battle of New Bern, NC (March 14, 1862)

I'd love to know more about the Battle of New Bern, NC on March 14, 1862. I recently purchased a letter and CDV from a Private Cyrus B. Harrington, Company B, 8th CT. I've already dug up a ton of information but I'm especially interested in if anyone has other letters to share and especially more from the CSA side since so little has survived.

Expired Image Removed

Here's a summary of the battle:

On March 11, Brig. Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside’s command embarked from Roanoke Island to rendezvous with Union gunboats at Hatteras Inlet for an expedition against New Berne. On March 13, the fleet sailed up the Neuse River and disembarked infantry on the river’s south bank to approach the New Berne defenses. The Confederate defense was commanded by Brig. Gen. Lawrence Branch. On March 14, John G. Foster’s, Jesse Reno’s, and John G. Parke’s brigades attacked along the railroad and after four hours of fighting drove the Confederates out of their fortifications. The Federals captured nine forts and 41 heavy guns and occupied a base which they would hold to the end of the war, in spite of several Confederate attempts to recover the town.

3.4.05 I realized after I posted this item that I placed it in the wrong folder. It obviously should be in the Eastern Theatre nor Western. Sorry.

Hello. You might want to contact Gene Andrews who lives here in Nashville concerning this battle. Gene is a retired marine who is very interested in the civil war, particularly in the involvement of the marines in the Confederate army during the Battle of New Bern. I suspect the two of you have much to discuss. He lives on Timberdale Ct. and is listed in the Nashville directory.

Back