Battle of Nashville

1stMN

First Sergeant
Annual Winner
At the risk of sounding like a complete dingbat, I need to ask: is there an official visitor center for the battle of Nashville? I'm trying to find a new place for my family and I to stop at this August, was also considering Franklin. Thanks in advance!

Great advice, Marine!

Make sure to visit this website and purchase this book and map. You will not regret it.....

20190523_134420.jpg

20190523_134447.jpg

20190523_134505.jpg

Any questions, please send me a PM.

Bill

The Franklin Battlefield is a must-see! This venue has a visitor center (Rear of the Carter House). And make sure to tour the Lotz House.....

I was very fortunate to have a one-on-one tour by Tom and Jamie (gunny) in 2014.

Try to tour the Spring Hill Battlefield first before you head to the Franklin venues.

Bill

Last edited:
My Great Grandfather was in rebout #4 with Lumsden's battery. He lied about his age at the muster of the Tuscaloosa Volunteers when he was 15. By the time of the Battle of Nashville he was a battle hardened veteran. The battlefield is spread all over south of downtown. The state capital building has a nice museum and some cannon from the area. When I went to school in Nashville I rented a duplex not far from rebout #4. I would recommend the Stones River battlefield also.

DSC_0033.jpg

My Great Grandfather was in rebout #4 with Lumsden's battery. He lied about his age at the muster of the Tuscaloosa Volunteers when he was 15. By the time of the Battle of Nashville he was a battle hardened veteran. The battlefield is spread all over south of downtown. The state capital building has a nice museum and some cannon from the area. When I went to school in Nashville I rented a duplex not far from rebout #4. I would recommend the Stones River battlefield also.

Thank you :smile: I've been to Murfreesboro already but I'm always game to return, haven't been to Nashville or Franklin yet.

Awesome info about your great grandfather, I wonder how many fabricated their age to join up? Amazing :smile:

Take the road from Spring Hill (instead of the interstate) to Franklin and you travel the same road that the armies took to get to Franklin. And though it takes some effort and a great deal of imagination, you can still get a pretty good feel of the Nashville Battlefields. 1864 Photo of Nashville taken from the capitol building note covered cannon. Photo LoC
main_1200 (7).jpg

Last edited:
DSC01579.JPG

Nobody's said so as yet so I'll recommend the Tennessee State Museum https://civilwartalk.com/threads/confederate-treasures-of-the-tennessee-state-museum.85144/ which in in a downtown office building and has LOTS of Civil War-related memorabilia like that above; however, plan on spending at least a couple of hours inside. It has something of an advantage that it's in walking distance of the 1857 State Capitol Building https://civilwartalk.com/threads/tennessee-state-capitol-building-nashville.84693/ below which you also should definitely visit. Here's a little more on three other sites that have already been suggested: https://civilwartalk.com/threads/three-battle-of-nashville-sites.84847/

DSC01544.JPG

How long is your stay lots to see if you know … Looking for museums ,battle sites old homes … Lot of great info posted there is a Battle of franklin tour .. let me know Im just East of Nashville been a while since I been to a few places .. Keep me informed and will find something

View attachment 308751
22nd Alabama was in the area If I recall correct … great picture its been a while since there … My understanding there are a few bodies buried in them former works

Take the road from Spring Hill (instead of the interstate) to Franklin and you travel the same road that the armies took to get to Franklin. And though it takes some effort and a great deal of imagination, you can still get a pretty good feel of the Nashville Battlefields. 1864 Photo of Nashville taken from the capitol building note covered cannon. Photo LoCView attachment 308776
I say south of Columbia closer to MT Pleasant St Johns Church, Sam Watkins Grave , lot of period homes along the way up 31 to spring hill

Back