Murfreesboro Battle of Murfreesboro - Eyewitness accounts

scone

2nd Lieutenant
Honored Fallen Comrade
This thread is in memory of :

3rd great grand uncle Abner C. Ball- Co. G 22nd Alabama Inf. Kia December 31st 1862

Distant relative Charles H. Cone: Co. E 69th Ohio Inf. who died May 3 1863 from his wounds from the battle. He is buried in the National Cemetary and is listed as Charles H Cones.

As well as my other relatives that fought there:
Daniel Marion Craft "3rd grt Grandfather" brother-n Law to Abner & his brother Moses Jasper Ball "3rd Grt GrandUncle" Co. G 22nd Alabama Infantry

Brothers:George W. Harris & John G. Harris "3rd Grt. GrandUncles"
Co. F 28th Alabama Infantry

Allen P. Kepner - Co. A 41st. Ohio Vol. Infantry "Hazen's Brigade"

Through me their Memory lives ! May the rest in Peace.

Steven Noel Cone

Flag of the 22nd Alabama - Battle honors of Shiloh and Murfreesboro

8627591.jpg

National Colors of the 41st Ohio:
Battle Honors of Shiloh and Stones River

Expired Image Removed

Marching on Murfreesboro

"Here we thought we were goining into winter quarters. We had no tents, so each 'mess' went to work and built little rude cabins... The fireplace was only a square hole dug in the ground about the center of the cabin... The weather was bitter and extremely cold, clothing was scarce and it seemed at the time that we must.. freeze to death. or smoke deaths in our wigwams" J.E. Robuck 29th Mississippi, Anfderson's Brigade

"We had taken up winter quarters and expected no more fighting till the Spring campaign began. So we rested and enjoyed our campo life especially on Christmas when our good people at home were sending us many good things to eat, and other presents to use." Lt Spencer B. Talley 28th Tennessee, Palmer's Brigade

"My home home was betweenn the two armies, at Old Jefferson, twelve miles from Murfreesboro, on a pike intersecting the Nashville and Mufreesboro pike near Lavergne... Scounting parties making petty fights and movementsand foraging parties of both sides, made things lively, and an occasional gathering of the young folks between the lines... lent a livly pastime to some of our soldiers.. I was 17 Too young to be called for service, the limit being 18, I would go along with the solders boys .. and join in the revelry." Bromfield Ridley, Civilian Tenn-ager

"Ater midnight we were aroused by orders from Gen. Bragg to move immediatly to Murfreesboro a distance of 14 miles.. We were soon on the road.. the mud and water under foot, and the pelting rain over head. I that night traversed the same road on the march to battle which I had bounded over the day before with so much pleasure in company with Lucy and her friend." Capt Douglas, Douglas' Texas Battery, Ector's Brigade

I will continue to add to the Nashviille one but with the Anniversery of Murfreesboro just a day away I wanted to get a start on it :smile:

Also I going to start doing some voluteering there at NMP in Murfreesboro helping out with the infantry demonstrations and perhaps the cannon crew as well : ) No Pay but hey who cares it may open a door for bigger and better things Plus what better way to get to sneek around a battlefields at night.

" My husband (Joseph B. Comming) was a captain on the staff of Brig. Gern. John ?K. Jackson, whos brigade was stationed at Bridgeport, Ala.. We had enjoyed our Christmas dinner, such as it was two dfays before. Like a thunderclap out of a clear sky came the orders (Sunday, December 28th) to move at once and join Bragg's army, as Rosecrans was threatening to attack it near Murfreesboro. I was a great relife when Mrs Jackson said 've desided to go with the troops as far as Wartrace,Tennessee where i have relatives,' and turning to me you must come too, for they are such loyal confederates. I know they will cheerfully take in any one whose husband is in the army' I gladly accepted"

"The early setting December sun disappeared and it was quite cold/. Aeeing a fire through the open door of a little one story house across the wide country roade, I took my (10th month old) baby over there for some warmth. Hesitating at the threshold, I saw a woman with a child streched out on her lap, apparently ill. She looked up and said 'Tour're welcome to come in out of the cold, but my child has scarlet fever.' any mother will understand my hasty retreat to the windswept platform. In the meantine a vehicle had appeared a one horse afair with out a top so we jogged along , mostly throughthe woods, with night upon us, to an unknown place and to people unknown to me." Mrs Kathariine Hubbell Comming

================================
About a mile and half south of wartrace, the carriage climbs a short
ridge and stops at Beechwood, a long, one story plantation house
with a porch on either end. It is the home of Col Andrew Erwin.

"Col Erwin and his wife opened their door as well as their hearts to us. I recieved as warm a welcome as if I were a dear child returning after an absence. And how inviting that comfortable library and big, crackling wood fire looked.. In this luvely home were various people for no one was turned away who asked for shelter. It was hard to tell who were the family proper, as refugee relatives and soldiers on their way to and from 'the front' became unexpected guests like ourselves." Mrs Kathariine Hubbell Comming

"It was said that the federal army was moving upon us, thast McCooks Corp had taken the Nashville-Triune pike, Thomas's the Franklin (pike) to the intersection of the Wilson pike , leading to Nolensville. and that Crittendon and Rosecrans were advancing on the pike from Nashville to Murfreesboro, and had reached Lavergn." Bromfield Ridley, Civilian Tenn-ager

"During the march to Murfreesboro, it wasnothing but a continual rain, so that we were wet through. The rosads were full of mud and slush so the four days before the fight my feet were wet soaking all the time."
Amandus Silby, 24th wisconsin, Sill's Brigade

"Riding by a farm house this afternoon. I caught a glimps of Miss harris of Lavergne, at the window and stopped to talk to her a minute. The young lady and her mother have experienced a great deal of trouble recently. They were shelled out of Lavergne three times, two of the shells passing through her mothers house. She claims to have been shot at once by a soldier of the 119th Illinois, the ball splintering the window sill near her head. Her mother's house has been converted into a hospital, and the clothes of the family taken for bandages.. she is therefore more rebellious now than ever. She is getting her rights poor girl!" Col. J. Beaty Brigade Commander

Monday - December 29th 1862

Federal Cavalry, advancing east along the Wilkerson pike, make
contact with retreating Confederate horseman, and pursue them.

"We forded Overall's Creek and were grouped around a large home.. there was a level stretch pf country for a half mile to the front and then woods... Animated by a boyish spirt I waved my guidon, and immediately saw a puff of smoke from the woods, the the sound and lastly, with a vicious thug a bulet went into a tree at my back.. "Take care coporal!' said Major (Frank B) Ward ' That was a close shot'...

A company of confederate cavalry was seen in our front making good time for Murfreesboro and instantly the boys took up the cry, 'There they Go! Charge them! Go for them!' Major Ward, who was close to me, yelled, 'No , doint go! My orders are to go only this far.' Still the yells continued. Some pof themenadvancing, the major said ' Da'mn you!If you will go, I'll go too- charge!' and then started, withoutsemblance of formation, most of them down the road and others through a gate across a corn field where the stalks had been cut put in shocks. Cpl. Charles S. Kirk, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"The first shots had been fired and alarmed the rtebel infantry in the rear, who reinforced their advance so thast by the time Major Ward and his men reached the point it was to meet a long line of infantry securly posted with a high stake and rider fence protecting them from being run over by our men... Major Ward was the first man hit on our side.. The ball peirced his left breastnear the heart, comming out below the shoulder blade." Adjutant Josiah C. Reiff 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"The skirmishers in front making it hot for us now and all on our end of the lijne moved for the woods, from which came yells and heavy firing. I passed Major Ward comming back, supported by a man on each side, a deathly pallor on his face, but telling us in a feeble town to 'Go on" I went to within twenty-five yards of the fence from behind which came shots at irregular intervals. I saw my friend Washington Airey, dismounted and with saber drawn, calling to the boys to 'come on' He was not over 10 yards from the rebel line.. I saw several of our men lying on the ground and horses rearing, one seemed to.. spin around on his hind feet. Just near me was were Lieut. DeCoursey and Sgt. Will Kember. 'This is pretty hot here lets get out,' said DeCoursey, 'just one shot more' returned Kembe,r and gave it, but got one in return square in the forehead" Cpl. Charles S. Kirk, 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

Monday - December 29th 1862

"Sergeant Major Washingtom Airey came running through the woods from our right and hailed Major Rosengarten, when the command came to a halt Airey tod the Major Ward was badley wounded and liavble to fall into the hands of the enemy, and 'would he charge up and get him away' The next command was 'Fours, right wheel!' and the next 'Charge!' and away we went at 'advanced carbine,' yelling like madmen."

"We reached a high stake-and rider fence, on the other sifde of which were swarms of rebel Infantry. I halted about thirty steps from the fence, Sergeant Alexander Drake.. a few feet from me on higher ground was shot and fell from his horse dead. Over to the left I saw Major Riosengarten going at full speed a few feet from the fence. I saw him fire one shot down a ravine that ran across his path. He turned his horse to the left , when a volly was fired from the ravine" The Major was peirced by seven balls and his horse beng riddled with bullets turned a half somersalt and fell on his back with the major underneath" Sgt. William McGee 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"Then came a volley right into the faces of our boys as only the fence sepoerated us from the enemy.. Our sgt, Frederick Herring recieved a bullet through his head. He lingered in the saddle for a moment then fell with a thud to the ground, and his blood saturated mt shoulder." John G. Marshall 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"We all turned without orders and got out as fast as we could.. we came to Sgt. Rockhill was lying on theground, shot in the thigh. There was one comrade with him who begged for help to carry him out of danger, as we were still under fire. I dismounted and turned my horsde overto someone tpo lead out and soon got two others and the four of us carried him in a blanket, each man holding a corner, back to within a short distance of the bridge, and then laid him down beside the roiad where the ambulance could come get him." Sgt. William McGee 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"I observed a group of men on the right side of the road in the forrest, and riding up found in the midst of the squad.. Major ward, and I saw by his features that he was mortally wounded.. I tpold the men to lay him on a blanket which i had unrolled from my saddle, which being done I carfully examined his wounds.. They consisted of a ragged, gaping laceration of his right breast, several shattered ribs and the lung mangled, attended with copious hemorrhage at every breath. Whatever was possible under the circumstances I did to relieve him but it was useless service. I was called off to attend others in the neighborhood who were suffering."
Dr. George R mish assistant surgeon 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"As the gloom of Monday evening was settling, Two miles from Murfreesboro
a large brick mansion (the Cowan house) across the river from us and in front of withers Division was set on fire to be burned out of the way. It was a melancholy sight to see the flames leaping up and the pillar of inky smoke rising.. from this once happy home. About midnight a heavy rain set in and I moved into a neighboring corncrib where I selpt the remainder of the night asmong the shucks." Johnathan S. Jackman, Clerk 9th Kentucky (CS), Hanson Brigade

"The Weather is a cold drizzle but we are not permitted to have fires for Genl Bragg does not wish the enemy to be able to locate our line. BVeef and cornmeal issued to us uncooked & fires not permitted! Col. Hunt ordered a detail sent back to the wagons from each company to cook the rations & bring them to us. We got supper about 12 at night.. After eating our rations we laid down in line of battle wioth our cuns in our hands to catch a few hours of sleep." Johnny Green 9th Kentucky (CS), Hanson Brigade

Tuesday December 30th 1862

"At Daylight the rain was still pouring down" Johnathan S. Jackman, Clerk 9th Kentucky (CS), Hanson Brigade

"The day after our fight.. were we had dashed headlong against the 10th South Carolina (Manigault's Brigade).. our company commander detailed Corp. Chas H. Kirk and foiur men, of whom I was one, to go to where we had our fight.. impress a wagon from some farmer in the neighborhood, and load up our dead on it and take them back to Nashville.. . Farmers and country wagons were scarce and while we waited for our wagon to come we could watch the movements of our infantry.. the rattle of the skirmishers never stopped." A.B. Coleman 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

Federal Medical officers set up field hospitas at homes near
the fighting. Soon casualties are being directed to the
Smith home on the Wilkerson turnpike and to the Harding home
about a mile and a half to the east and south of the turnpike

"As there were a larghe number of wounded in ambulances a division hospital was established at Colonel smith's plantyation, where there was excellent water, with [lenty oh hay and straw, and a large frame house which was surrounded by numerous log houses, occupied as negro quaters, that could be used for hospital purposes." Dr. Solon Marks, chief surgeon and medical officer Johnson's Division

"What we called 'Hospital Harding'.. was a third rate frame building with the log cook house & c., attached and surrounded by negro cabins, as is the custom here, while at a distance was a barn, cotton gin and all the appliances of a cotton plantation... Mr Harding was at home and two or three of the negroes.. the rest of the family white and black had been removed top the other side of Murfreesborough.."

"The wounded .. began to arrive, some riding, some walking, and some carried on strechers, but all more or less dangerously wounded. Dr. Young - who besides being the senior surgeon og the 36th was also briigade surgeon - had by this time arrived, together with the surgeon of the 88th Illinois and the 24th Wisconsin, and there was work for all.. To me was assigned the duty of tasking the names of the wounded, their regiment and the location and character of their wounds, and as I went the rounds it was sad to find that a large porportion, nearly three fiths were of my own regiment, they haveing been placed in the front... While all this was going on the fight outside became more fierce as the forces came into closer contact a battery planted near the hous convulsed the ground at every explosion." Chaplain L. G. Bennett, 36th Illinois, Sill's Brigade

"In the Afternoon there was a heavy cannonading on our left. about 3 o'clock sent for one section of our battery. The 1st section commanded by Lieut. Hardin.. went- reported to Capt. Waters, his battery under a very hot fire - placed our battery to the left of his in a old field and opened fire.. We fired 30 odd rounds apeice under a very hot fire from the enemies batteries which were only about 500 yards distant. We had no infantry to protect us, and the enemies sharpshooters opened on us. Lieut Harding tried to get a company to protect us, but could not and we left our postion." Cpl. John E. Magee, Stanford's Mississippi battery, Stewarts Brigade

"Lieut Harding.. was the last to leave the postion.. as he was riding on after his guns a cannon ball passed entirely through his body.. Some of the boys saw him fall and turned back to help him, but got to him in time to see him open his eyes and close them forever, without struggle or a gasp."
1st Sgt william A. Brown, Stanford's Mississippi battery, Stewarts Brigade

"Our wagon came at last late in the afternoon. Our dead were piled in it and we pulled out as far as Wilkerson's Crossroads, where we spent the night."
A.B. Coleman 15th Pennsylvania Cavalry.

"We reached Murfreesboro.. the night before the battle began croissing stones river on wagons standing in water with boards reaching to the another ... It was a bitter cold night" John M. Berry 8th Arkansas Liddell's Brigade

"when nightfall came we were in a lane with rail fences on each side, about 400 yards from the the main line of the enemy. Orders were to speak only in a whisper as the enemy's pickets were not more than 100 yards in front, the plan of battle being to take them by suprise next morning... We passed the night with out fires, most of the men sitting down watching the camp fires of the enemy some 400 yards away, on an elevation. We passed a most disagreeable night having beein on the battlefield all of the night before and at times pelted with heavy showers during the day. I fortunatley had a good wool blanket that I had brought from home, one of the old fashioned kind, with a hole in the middle large enough for a man's head. I stuck my head through, pulled my hat down, took my loaded gun under the blanket, and thought of what would take place to-morrow." P.R. Jones 10th Texas, Ector's Brigade

------------------------------------
In a confederate hospital near Murfreesboro
------------------------------------

"I found Lt. Ruben searcy lying in a crowded building on the bare floor, under the influence of a heavy dose of morphine.. a large peice of shell had torn away the whole inside of his right thigh, from knee buttock.. no flesh being lleft on the leg above the knee except possibly a 6 inch wide strip on the outside of his side.. another smaller peice had sliced off his left breast a strip some 4 inches wide and 6 inches long exposing his ribs.. No bandaging was attempted.. the surgeon told me there was no hope for him and thier time must be spent where life could be saved... there I sat by my friends side with the wounded and dying lying around, a few of them yankees.. there was nothing I could do but moisten lips with water or give to those able to drink a little now and then Candles or fim lanterns gave the only light.. Along in the small hours the wounded began to awake from the effects of the opiastes and talk to the nearest suffers.

"One confederate finaly said.. 'well I declare, if here ain't a Yankee too,
where did you come from?'

" 'Your cavalry got me'

" 'Well, well what did you come down here for anyway? We were not
pestering you.'

" 'Well boys, you know if I had not volunteered the girls would have called me a coward, and I could not stand that, but all the same I dont blame you for contending to your rights. ' "
James R. Maxwell aide 34th alabama Manigault's Brigade

Tuesday - December 30th 1862

"The night.. before the battle an incident took place such as history seldom records... The opposing lines were so near to each other as rto be within easy bugal call... just before 'tattoo' the military bands on each side began their evening music. The still winter night carried their strauiins to a great distance. At ever pause on our side, far away could be heard the military band of the other. Finally one of them struck up 'Home, sweet Home'. As if if by common consent all other airs ceased and the bands of both armies far as the ear could reach, joined in the refrain." Samuel Seay 1st Tennesseee Maney's Brigade

"The air became quite cold after night fall and we soon found it impossible to sleep. Some of my messmates with myself concluded to build a rail pen and line it with long dry grass from the field.. one of my messmates Sergeant Wertz, appeared to take no interest in our work but sat silently all through the night with his face buried in his hands. He gave no heed even when I threw my rubber blanket over his shoulders.. Perhaps the shadow of impending fate darkened.. his mind .. before sunrise his bloody corps laid amid the long dry grass in the field not twenty steps away from the rail pen where he sat threw the night" Sgt Major Widney 34th Illinois Kirk's Brigade

"On the eve of the battle of Murfreesboro, news reached Unionville that General Bragg would attack early the next morning, In company with several friends I desided to go see the battle, as I had never been on a battlefield.. Wednesday morning we were on the road" G.B. Moon a young civilian from Unionville 18 miles southwest of Murfreesboro

Dawn Attack Wednesday Dec. 31st 1862

"We were buliding fires and making coffee, for such permission had been granted just before daylight. The comfort of warming chilling fingers and toes and drinking a gratful cup of hot coffee out weighed for the moment any consideration of danger. Next my curiosity asserted itself, and while my comrades were still sipping their coffee, I leisurely walked out onto the field towards the Picket line, where a company of our Regt. was stationed to watch the enemy. Before reaching them I saw one running towards me , and as he passed me he esclaimed 'they're coming' and continued on to the regiment to give alarm. As all was so quiet, not a shot having been fired, I felt descidedly skeptical and walked still further out until the enemy's breastworks were in view... A succession of long gray lines were swarming over the Confederate breastworks and sweeoing towards us but not yet wuthin gun shot range... Sgt Major Widney 34th Illinois Kirk's Brigade

"Sam Miller, standing on top of the fence, informed us that the rebel skirmish line was coming into the cornfield on the opposite side of the field.. Crow and myself were down in the fence corner frying bacon. I told Sam to fire at them.. Sam Fired.. Crow, Schick and I all commenced firing at long range to alarm the camp. R. J. Heath, 34th Illinois Kirk's Brigade

"When we struck their skirmish line in the open field, we drove them back on their main line so rapidly that we got within easy gunshot of their main line before they knew it" Lt. J. T. Tunnell 14th Texas, Ector's Brigade

"We threw ourselfs flat in the grass and emptied 350 muskets into the ranks of the foe... our battery (E, 1st Ohio) of six cannons opened a vigorous fire throiwing shells close over our heads into the enemy, whose Batteries also opened on us with shells and grape and canister.... Our only salvation was to lie flat as possible on the ground, for the air fairly seethed the "Zip" of bullets and grape shot over our heads. .. It reminded me of the passage of a swarm of bees... Bullets plowed little furrows around us throwing up tufts of grass and hhandfullsof soil intour facesor over our bodies and others struckj with a dull 'thud' into some poor unfortunate soul... In scarcely 1o minutes .. 21 were killed and 100 wounded, or more than one third of our number.. Sgt Major Widney 34th Illinois Kirk's Brigade

"They came down on us like a tornado, and I was amoung the first to be wounded.. I was shot through the right knee joint. With the help of Hiram Clark I got back about 200 ft, but the Johnnies were comming so rapidly and so many, I told him to lay me down and run, He did so" Sgt. Arnold S. Harrington 34th Illinois Kirk's Brigade

The Brady brothers, two ancestors of mine, joined at McMinnville in Nov 1862. They told in their pension claims of having no tents and suffering greatly from the exposure.

While looking up Johnson men who might be related by marriage (because of Champ Ferguson), I came across letters written on behalf of Capt Sam Johnson of the 25th Tenn. He has a namesake who was one of the Immortal 600, but this is a different man. In the letters to the pension boards, his men remembered that he stood up at the Battle of Murfreesboro, refusing the order to lie down. When they were ordered to charge, he was knocked down by the concussion of a shell, and was thought to be dead. However, he rose up, covered in debris and shook it off--literally. He stumbled around like a drunken man, but at last, continued on. He was later denied a pension because he feared for his life in the spring of 1865, all manner of bushwhackers hunting him down. That caused him to sneak into Sparta, Tenn., one night with some friends to take the oath in March 1865. He wrote that the bushwhackers continued to hound him.

Lt. Tom Pointer of the 16th Alabama Infantry went to the rear without permission at about noon on the 31st. Pointer is an indirect ancestor. Only the abstracts of his court martial have survived. The 16th had run out of ammo around 11am, having driven the Federals in front for about two miles through what was described as cedar glades. The order came down to resume the charge once they were resupplied with ammo. Tom went to the rear and refused to go back in. The regimental adjutant struck him with the flat of his sword to shame him, but he stayed there until after dark. Tom was found guilty of leaving the line without permission in the face of the enemy, but not guilty of refusing to go back. His sentence was to be reprimanded at dress parade and suspended in rank for 30 days. The sentence was said to be light due to "palliating circumstances," whatever that meant. There were no officers of I Company in the fight, for whatever reason, and the company was led by 1st Sgt Cherry. Tom Pointer survived Franklin and was promoted to company commander after I Company's CO was killed at Franklin. He was captured in a skirmish in Alabama at the end of December and spent the next six months at Fort Delaware.

Upon reading the abstracts, it sounds like he just fell back when the line moved forward, refusing to keep up. I guess that means he didn't go all the way to the rear. It says he then returned to the line after the fight was over.

I believe I saw as much war as any man in it, never being absent, but I never in all the war saw as many dead men of one single command in so small a place, as I did there on the plains of Murfreesboro. Attala County ought to erect a monument on the spot to mark the place where her gallant sons fell.

Private John W. Simmons, Company E, 27th Mississippi Infantry

One of my cousin's ancestors was at Murfreesboro. He was shot in the head, and died a few days later. Another of his relatives was wounded at Peach Tree Creek, and his wife rode on a wagon from her home in North Carolina to Atlanta to get her husband (all the while hiding a pistol in her skirts). Another of his relatives was the first police officer in Asheville to be killed in the line of duty.

Back