Battle of Moscow, Tennessee

Monroe

Cadet
I am look for any information about the civil war along wolf river and Memphis and Charleston railroad

I am look for any information about the civil war along wolf river and Memphis and Charleston railroad

This was Forrest territory and most any of the books on that Confederate General will likely include references to the above.

For example see:

Also, I would refer you to the pertinent volumes of the Official Records such as:

Last edited:
Monroe,
Be sure to stop by the Town Hall right there on the side of the road---where the stone cannons sit. There are some relics on display and a facsimile of a Letter from a soldier who fought in the battle. My historian contact, David, owns that letter. It is not much there but its the only "museum" in town.

<Correction>

The letter is about the death of a Private Waite.

Waits_WP_1MissCav__Pg05.JPG

Monroe,
I have tried to create a organization table for the Confederate units that fought there. I'm especially looking to see of General S. D. Lee had any artillery. I'm sure Lee had some units and artillery that were not engaged in the battle but were held in reserve or being used to guard his flanks.
For Example; General Chalmers reported that he sent Colonel Slemons and a few regiments to a Railroad bridge across the Grissom Creek which is about half way between Moscow and Lafayette (Rossville).
The Union units are known.

Map_Sketch--Battle.JPG

Moscow, July 14, 1862. Skirmish near Wolf River, Tenn.;
Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, commanding Fifth Division, Army of the Tennessee:
"Yesterday one of our forage trains, guarded by 50 cavalry, was fired on by a party that immediately fled, having killed one man and wounded 3 of ours. The attacking party was composed of horsemen, but their dress was not clearly seen in the ambush. I believe they were citizens, hastily called together to fire on the train as it was returning loaded, and have sent a strong party to bring in 25 of the most prominent of the vicinity, each with a horse, saddle, and bridle, whom I wish to send to La Grange and thence under guard to Columbus, by tomorrow's train. I am satisfied we have no other remedy for this ambush firing than to hold the neighborhood fully responsible, though the punishment may fall on the wrong parties. The scene of the occurrence was seven miles out south of Wolf River, and 2 1/2 miles from where I have a regiment on picket."
[O. R. Series 1, Volume 17, Part 1, page 23].

@Monroe, is this within the overall activity you desire to learn, or are you more specific?
Thanks, Lubliner.

This is a modern topographical map that I have annotated to show the original road and features based upon Lt. J H Wilson's 1863 map. This is also based upon interpretation by the past Historian for Fayette County.

RED = M&C RR. There was a branch going North to Somerville which is now a road. Another track branched off towards the West but it was never completed. Some think it was intended to go West to bypass the river bottoms and reconnect further West.
UNION FORT = Blue Today there is a prominent mound in the curve of the unfinished spur which is now a road.

OLD Road = Purple The old highway, then known as State Line Road, is basically the same on the East side of town. On the West side of town, the old highway crossed the Wolf River about 100 yards from the current modern Hiway 57 bridge. Then the Old Highway bent a little South along an existing creek and turn West where it joined a current road known as "Old State Line Dr".
The Wilson 1862/3 map shows two highway bridges; one crossing the main artery of the Wolf River and another crossing a smaller branch or just more swamp.

Modern Road = Orange Highway 57 was built in 1929.

RIDGE = Lt BLUE General Lee brought his forces from the South and observed the town and Union forces from this ridge.
The ridge can be found by turning South off Hiway 57 onto Yager Dr. As it crossed Golden Creek, the road immediately begins to rise in height and turn to the left onto this ridge.

TopoMap__Moscow-02.jpg

View looking almost South along Yager Dr towards ridge with Hiway 57 behind.
GMap__YagerDrive-Creek-wLevee.JPG

View of the possible site of the Fort. This road follows the old RR bed that ran West which was not completed.
View is looking back East towards Moscow. Mound on the right side of road covers a large area----compare to the elevation on the Left side of the road. {In my map, the Blue Star should be South of this spur.}
IMG_9414.JPG

Last edited:
for the book the page 10 on the war rebellion it talk about spring creek I can find spring creek but I can find porter creek

Back