Battle of Missionary Ridge

Hunter

First Sergeant
Union troops under George Thomas routed the Confederates on Missionary Ridge. What was the first Confederate unit to retreat? Give its name and its commander.

Union troops under George Thomas routed the Confederates on Missionary Ridge. What was the first Confederate unit to retreat? Give its name and its commander.
No idea. But I am very interested to see the variety of opinions that are sure to follow. :D I'll get the popcorn.

It may have been Holtzclaw's brigade at the very left most end of the confederate line. They were the ones who could see Hooker's columns moving around the ridge (advancing from Lookout Mountain) and towards the confederate rear. Their retreat (along with word the army was being flanked) may have precipitated the panic that spread along the line and made Thomas' "impossible" victory possible.

I'm going for Col William Tucker's Brigade of Patton Anderson's Division. Not good news if you're a Mississippian … 7th, 9th, 10th, 41st & 44th Mississippi & 9th Mississippi Battalion Sharpshooters.

Their right flank was unsupported after Anderson moved the 34th Alabama to support Deas' Brigade further north up the ridge. Confusion reigned.

Now that's from a Union perspective, I need to delve into some Confederate reports …

Yeah, checked Cozzens' Shipwreck of Their Hopes and sounds like it was Col. William F. Tucker's brigade of Mississippians.

That was partially due to the ground and positioning of the Confederate lines there - dips in the ground to their front and entrenchments built on the crest rather than the military crest.

Also, in addition to the 34th Alabama of Manigault's brigade being moved from Tucker's right flank, Brig. Gen. Alexander W. Reynolds' brigade was in the entrenchments at the foot of the ridge and was sent back up just as the Federal assault began in order to fill a gap between Tucker's left and Bate's division. Half of Reynolds' men did not go where they were supposed to (running over to Bate's lines), so Reynolds was left with very few to fill that gap.

Once Tucker's brigade broke the Federals then pivoted to the flanks and rolled up the Confederate line. That brigade of Mississippians (aka the "High Pressure Brigade") was experienced and fought well in most of its other battles; they were just in a bad spot at Missionary Ridge.

Bragg in his Official Report hadn't yet established who was to blame or who to blame. The last bit sounds ominous though ...

… No satisfactory excuse can possibly be given for the shameful conduct of our troops on the left in allowing their line to be penetrated. The position was one which ought to have been held by a line of skirmishers against any assaulting column, and wherever resistance was made the enemy fled in disorder after suffering heavy loss. Those who reached the ridge did so in a condition of exhaustion from the great physical exertion in climbing, which rendered them powerless, and the slightest effort would have destroyed them. Having secured much of our artillery, they soon availed themselves of our panic, and, turning our guns upon us, enfiladed the lines, both right and left, rendering them entirely untenable.

Had all parts of the line been maintained with equal gallantry and persistence no enemy could ever have dislodged us, and but one possible reason presents itself to my mind in explanation of this bad conduct in veteran troops who had never before failed in any duty assigned them, however difficult and hazardous. They had for two days confronted the enemy, marshaling his immense forces in plain view, and exhibiting to their sight such a superiority in numbers as may have intimidated weak-minded and untried soldiers; but our veterans had so often encountered similar hosts when the strength of position was against us, and with perfect success, that not a doubt crossed my mind. As yet I am not fully informed as to the commands which first fled and brought this great disaster and disgrace upon our arms. Investigation will bring out the truth, however, and full justice shall be done to the good and the bad...

http://civilwarhome.com/braggchattanooga.html

Bragg in his Official Report hadn't yet established who was to blame or who to blame. The last bit sounds ominous though ...

… No satisfactory excuse can possibly be given for the shameful conduct of our troops on the left in allowing their line to be penetrated. The position was one which ought to have been held by a line of skirmishers against any assaulting column, and wherever resistance was made the enemy fled in disorder after suffering heavy loss. Those who reached the ridge did so in a condition of exhaustion from the great physical exertion in climbing, which rendered them powerless, and the slightest effort would have destroyed them. Having secured much of our artillery, they soon availed themselves of our panic, and, turning our guns upon us, enfiladed the lines, both right and left, rendering them entirely untenable.

Had all parts of the line been maintained with equal gallantry and persistence no enemy could ever have dislodged us, and but one possible reason presents itself to my mind in explanation of this bad conduct in veteran troops who had never before failed in any duty assigned them, however difficult and hazardous. They had for two days confronted the enemy, marshaling his immense forces in plain view, and exhibiting to their sight such a superiority in numbers as may have intimidated weak-minded and untried soldiers; but our veterans had so often encountered similar hosts when the strength of position was against us, and with perfect success, that not a doubt crossed my mind. As yet I am not fully informed as to the commands which first fled and brought this great disaster and disgrace upon our arms. Investigation will bring out the truth, however, and full justice shall be done to the good and the bad...

http://civilwarhome.com/braggchattanooga.html

Col W F Tucker to Major JP Wilson Dec 4th 1863:

He doesn't hold back on criticising the order to retreat from the line of works at the base of the hill (his underlining) and the construction of the works at the top:

[After the first Union Skirmishers had 'been driven back at some loss' from the Confederate works at the base of the hill]

Soon after this, orders were received that if the enemy advanced in force, the men at the foot of the ridge were not to fight where they were, but to fall back Skirmishing to the top of the Ridge. At 3 o'ck pm the enemy advanced in heavy force and these instructions were obeyed. The Brigade was reformed in the works (if they deserve the name) on the top of the Ridge, a part of the 44th and a part of the 41st Miss Regts being held in reserve.

At every point when the enemy could be seen to our front, he was checked and repulsed: but unfortunately the works were not constructed so as not to command a view of the front part of a high projecting point about the centre of the Brigade. Behind this the enemy massed their force and secure from our fire they climbed the hill. When they suddenly appeared in front of our men at this unexpected point, seized with a panic, they gave way before them and in spite of the efforts of their officers, continued to break on each side of the point where the enemy entered our lines until the whole Brigade fell back in disorder.

Learning the point above referred to was threatened, I had up a part of the 41st Miss to support it: halting the reserve and hurrying forward in person to see precisely where they were needed, I met the men who had been in the works retiring before the enemy. Failing to rally them I hastened back to bring up the reserve only to find it stampeded with the rest. Nothing could now be done except to rally the Brigade as soon as possible. This, with the aid of the officers of the line and a very efficient staff I succeeded in doing a half mile in rear of our former line …

http://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00085666/00001/2x?search=tucker

How steep is Missionary Ridge? If you're at the rifle pits at the foot of the ridge, what kind of an incline are you looking at? Can anybody tell me? I have often wondered about it.
Michael.

It's tough to imagine now from the bottom, mostly built over, but when I visited there, the driveable portions of the ridge itself were almost sheer in some areas - can see exactly why it was a nightmare to defend with the works set too far forward.

The slope is gentle at the base, but gets steeper as it goes up - you can imagine the boys doing the first bit with ease, no doubt pleased to get cover from the musketry & shell coming from the crest that caused them to charge up without orders.

This is an image of just a small portion of the ridge - I'm guessing the Southern end, where Sheridan's men assaulted.
Climb+++54.jpg

Further up though, where Col Tucker's Mississippians were, nothing from the time to illustrate, but this image (although, I think, exaggerated) can give you some idea of parts of the top of the ridge (and illustrates why they couldn't depress the cannon any further to sweep the advancing Yankees with grape and canister.

climb+++19.jpg

http://thepublici.blogspot.com/2014/09/climbing-missionary-ridge.html

Last edited:
098F963B-DBB2-4460-82A6-E219CE72BDBB.jpeg
That above photo might be the lowest elevation of Missionary Ridge. Here is an actual picture from the Ridge. Look how flat and level the plains are where the Federals started. Now look at how high those buildings are and then how high the Ridge actually is. In most places of the Ridge is very steep almost like the painting above. The ridge height is 500-600 feet at most places

Thanks for the reply, Si Klegg. I get the picture now. I don't know why that question about Missionary Ridge has vexed me since I first read about it. It just did. Thanks for painting me the picture!
Micky.

Great images, SJ, thank you!

Thanks for the reply, Si Klegg. I get the picture now. I don't know why that question about Missionary Ridge has vexed me since I first read about it. It just did. Thanks for painting me the picture!
Micky.

No problem Micky, always happy to discuss Missionary Ridge! Found this, which is pretty good on what's up the top of the ridge:

Last edited:
Very much enjoying this thread. Visiting Missionary Ridge, hopefully,for the first time in October. I have the back issue of Blue & Gray Magazine on Missionary Ridge. Shoulda bought 2. :D

It's important to note also, that while most descriptions of the earlier part of Missionary Ridge - the taking of the Confederate rifle pits in the attack from Orchard Knob - state that these works were at the foot of the hill, they actually weren't.

The line of works/rifle pits was on the plain, wavering anything from 100 yards to 300 yards from where the ridge's slope actually started. There was a cleared plateau behind those pits, dotted with wooden camp huts and shelters constructed by the Confed soldiers, and a cleared area in front of the pits. The Federals emerged from timber cover around Orchard Knob, before forming up on the plain.

When you realise those distances between the foot of the ridge and the rifle pits, you can understand why the Federals got out of there pretty quick, especially when the lines of battle were halted just in front of the pits and confusion reigned. They were going to be far safer from the artillery clinging to the side of the hill than out on an open plain.

Back