Battle of Gettysburg: Why JEB Stuart ends up in Carlisle (Army War College video)

If I recall correctly from Eric's book, JEB was up there looking for Ewell. Is there a different take here?
Guess I could watch the video, but I don't have time right now.

Edited: I have watched the film. I recommend anyone who watches to do so on 'full screen'.
The 'interesting' point that I picked up was why JEB Stuart chose certain Brigades to do certain things. According to the lecture those decisions were based on interpersonal relationships between Stuart and the Brigade commanders. Cox in his recent book on Gettysburg also talks early on about Lee's quote about being 'depressed' over "victories" at Fredricksburg and Chancellorsville because he gained no ground and he knew the north could replace the soldiers it had lost.

Interesting overall. Thanks for the post pamc.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly from Eric's book, JEB was up there looking for Ewell. Is there a different take here?
Guess I could watch the video, but I don't have time right now.
You're right. Jeb's orders were to meet Ewell in Harrisburg and to cover Ewell's right flank. That is,if I remember,correctly. Lol.

This is pretty cool. Armchair guy (me) wondered why the remaining four brigades didn't get it done in terms of screening and scouting, but was not familiar with the names. I had surmised incorrectly that the movement of the AofTP had got between Stuart and the AofNV contributed more to the delay, with near misses with Ewell, etc. Paints a different picture than the wild ride/raid version, no?

Last edited:
The movement of the Army of the Potomac did disrupt Stuart as stated in this lecture. Stuart had riden around the Union Army twice before both times the AofP was stationary and he reported back to Lee in 4 days. This time however the AofP was moving and Stuart rode further and was gone longer ( 8 days) then he rode around looking for the Army which cost him valuable time.

Back